Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 Rav4 Dynamic 4wd

Gweeds

On 2/18/2019 at 6:01 AM, Gweeds said:

...as I understand it, there is a discrepancy in some of the literature and in fact the spec is the same as the excel, the only differences being the bitone paint schemes plus some other minor 'upgrades' on the excel

... I will however be double and triple checking the spec situation before ordering!!

27 minutes ago, Gweeds said:

As an update to my original test drive, 8th to 10th of April I am getting a FWD icon demo vehicle for 2 days... I'm intending to get some decent mileage in, although I'm annoyed that a dynamic wasn't available.

I take it you're still ok with the Dynamic, even though we now know it definitely does NOT have these Excel bits?:

• Memory function on driver seat
  • Headlight cleaners
  • Front wiper de-icer
  • Washer fluid level warning (probably - couldn't test this one - well, not without running the washer bottle dry!)

29 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I take it you're still ok with the Dynamic, even though we now know it definitely does NOT have these Excel bits?:

• Headlight cleaners
  • Front wiper de-icer
  • Washer fluid level warning (probably - couldn't test this one - well, not without running the washer bottle dry!)

Or Heated steering wheel 😂 👀 

I've always got cold hands, so I'll love that in the Excel 😂 

1 minute ago, daiashthomas said:

Or Heated steering wheel 😂 👀 ...

thanks, I'd forgotten about that - you're right, the Dynamic demonstrator didn't have it.

• Headlight cleaners
  • Front wiper de-icer

Yep, I'm a vain type and prefer the styling over the kit...

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

thanks, I'd forgotten about that - you're right, the Dynamic demonstrator didn't have it.
I have warm hands [emoji23][emoji23]

I have warm hands [emoji23][emoji23]

[emoji23]
I'm a shorts and t-shirt man all year round, but I refuse to wear gloves with them [emoji23]
Would just look silly.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Hi Guys, newbie here. I bought the runout Rav4 Design AWD (coming from a Yeti L&K 2.0TDI). I could not ignore the savings - cost me £28,498 pre-reg with 8 miles on the clock. One dealer suggested I wait for the new model which was the same price as the run out.

Having compared spec. i noticed they had dropped a lot of kit from the new model and of course no discount. I now have 2,000 miles on it now and love it.

The roar of the engine on full whack makes sense when you understand the drive mechanism with MG1 & MG2 coupled to the Power Split Device. In essence the engine is not physically connected to the transmission but drives Motor Generator 1 which in turn drives the epicyclic transmission - a very neat solution and simple gearbox.

All in all very impressed.

Bill 😊

1 hour ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Having compared spec. i noticed they had dropped a lot of kit from the new model and of course no discount.

Hi William, welcome to TOC. 🙂

I think that you will find that is standard practice across the automobile industry. Runout models tend to be loaded to keep an old platform selling & newer, hopefully better platforms don't need that to sell especially when in early days demand is probably outstripping supply.

Only the fact that you will not pay just £20 for road tax on the new vehicle.  

It was always a talking point when friends enquired about the running cost.  £20?No way they would say.

They may be not be so envious when we have to pay much more.  In comparison to other vehicle with this engine size, the road tax is still cheap.

• Like 1

Only the fact that you will not pay just £20 for road tax on the new vehicle.  
It was always a talking point when friends enquired about the running cost.  £20?No way they would say.
They may be not be so envious when we have to pay much more.  In comparison to other vehicle with this engine size, the road tax is still cheap.
I've got a petrol mk2 as well, that's expensive for tax, and it's crap on fuel, but doesn't get used a lot. Lol
New hybrid is still cheaper than the 2.2 diesel, plus its over a year, so when you break it down its nothing. I think the new ones are about 120 quid a year.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:14 PM, Lawnmowerman said:

…. when you understand the drive mechanism with MG1 & MG2 coupled to the Power Split Device. In essence the engine is not physically connected to the transmission but drives Motor Generator 1 which in turn drives the epicyclic transmission - a very neat solution and simple gearbox.ill 

That description of the drivetrain does not accord with the one given at https://www.toyota-global.com/innovation/environmental_technology/technology_file/hybrid/hybridsystem.html, which shows the power split device feeding the gearbox & axle, as well as a generator which is not connected to the axle, so cannot function as a motor.  A separate motor is shown connected to the axle, which could, therefore, also function as a generator in regenerative mode.

I wonder which is correct?

I believe that there are 2 different drivetrains for the hybrid AWD versions of the latest RAV4?

I believe that there are 2 different drivetrains for the hybrid AWD versions of the latest RAV4?
I think only one version is making it to the UK... The other is for the states and presumably some other areas. I can't remember which is which though!

I think only one version is making it to the UK... The other is for the states and presumably some other areas. I can't remember which is which though!

It's very complicated, but I've found this video, which does give some insight - it's the latest Prius 610, but I imagine the principles are the same for the RAV4.

It is very clever - essentially, whether MG1 assists the engine, or not, depends on the speed of the engine.  The engine does couple to the final drive through the epicyclic geartrain, but it can declutch for a pure EV mode.  MG2 has more than twice the power of MG1, and it seems the reason for the two is for control flexibility and efficiency.

20 minutes ago, IanML said:

It is very clever - essentially, whether MG1 assists the engine, or not, depends on the speed of the engine.  The engine does couple to the final drive through the epicyclic geartrain, but it can declutch for a pure EV mode.  MG2 has more than twice the power of MG1, and it seems the reason for the two is for control flexibility and efficiency.

Indeed ... it also means that MG1 can act as a generator to recharge the Battery while MG2 continues to be available as a motor to assist the petrol engine.

I believe Lawnmowerman's post may be confusing ... the petrol engine can be connected to the transmission / drive through the planetary gear set 'independently' of MG1 so that the vehicle can driven via the petrol engine, optionally assisted via MG2. Equally, the engine can be stopped (switched off) and the vehicle can be operated in EV mode (over short distances) driven by a combination of MG1 and MG2. And various combinations in between.

And, of course, in the AWD versions there an additional MG3 to drive the rear axle (but no prop-shaft to provide assistance from the petrol engine itself).

I think ... 😀

• That seems right to me.  The video clearly shows the engine shaft being turned and the final drive shaft rotating as a result. And, of course, MG1 cannot both drive and generate simultaneously!

The diagram is also somewhat misleading, because it does not make clear that the motor and generator boxes are actually both MGs.

Oops, back to the drawing board - not the first time I've picked things up wrong. 

Bill 😳

Edited by Lawnmowerman
Embarrassed

On 3/5/2019 at 7:24 AM, Gweeds said:

I've now organised a 2 day test drive via my leasing company... Hopefully with the car to arrive sometime in March. We will see!

In the meantime I have ordered the dynamic... For me, the exterior styling beats the (possible) slight reduction in features.

As an aside... The sat nav must be pretty awful if the BMW system is much better... Worst I've had out of Audi, VW, Mercedes, Land rover, hyundai and citroen by a distance... About the same distance as the BMW system normally gets me towards my destination, which is a coincidence lol.

As an aside, I cover 30k plus miles a year average, so the company car benefits are the big draw for me towards the rav4. That and my personal vow to never have another BMW!

Which color did you get? I'm between the Silver Blade and White Pearl

Hi, I have ordered the Excel AWD in Silver Blade with Black leather and the JBL / PVM. White Pearl is nice but not if you live in the country !

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

New review of the Excel 2WD on Carwow for those who might be interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1