Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car viewing Auris 1.6 D

nicebutdim

Ive booked a viewing of a potential new car on Saturday. Its being moved from a nearby dealer to one closer so I can have a good look round, test drive etc.

Car in quesion is a 65 plate Auris diesel. Upon research its has a BMW engine now and not a Toyota engine. Given that will be part-ex'ing a 170,000 mile (no engine issues to date) Toyota diesel engined car, does anyone know if these are proven engines from hearsay or experience?

Also the car is very low mileage, just over 9k miles and had a DPF. Will the 3k per year have any long term DPF issues? The car will do 18k miles per year if bought so will get a good run.

The BMW diesel used in late Auris/Avensis/Verso models is the N47. Diesels were dropped from the Auris for 2018.

As to whether the dpf has been affected by the low mileage depends on what sort of journeys the car was used for, so is difficult to predict.

Thanks, hope the timing chain issue has been resolved from the BMW models. Will enquire.

With such small mileage per year (which I assume is mostly short trips?) do you really need/want a diesel? I'd recommend anyone to steer clear of any diesel engines, ever, and will continue to do so unless something changes my mind, which is very unlikely. Even older diesels have problems just due to the nature of their design but the newer ones with all the emissions stuff piled up really doesn't do any favors. Any potential savings from fuel add up quickly when all the emissions stuff starts having problems.

Nowadays petrols can get very good fuel economy and with good care are able to travel 200k+ miles without issues. Next to zero extra expensive emissions stuff, no expensive injector issues, no driveshaft issues, etc.

I'd just recommend to really think about getting a newer diesel when modern petrols get almost the same mileage, cost less overall in terms of ownership, have less problems (BMW engine and tranny, yikes!) and even the added benefit of being able to drive short trips and car heating up faster.

• Like 1

Byzii - I think you might have read wrong.

I was looking at a car with an average of 3k per year and intend to do 18k per year if bought. A petrol returning 45mpg and a diesel returning 55-60mpg over those miles will add to several hundred pounds per year - a significant sum.

Fully agreed with Byzii, absolutely right about diesels. If you a doing a high mileage just get an Hybrid one. I am currently driving Auris Hybrid gen1 , covering excess of 60000 miles per year and I am doing 60+mpg in summer and 50+ mpg in winter , mostly motorways plus some country lanes and some town driving in heavy traffic where diesel manual it’s a full stop. Diesels are now difficult to sell but in few years time would be impossible, nobody would like to buy them , where Hybrid and electric vehicles will be easy come easy going. Also diesels not as nice to drive as Hybrid or petrol unless it’s straight 6 bmw or merc, Audi or jag. All it’s up to you, we only suggest. 

Good luck with the new car 🚙 

• Like 1

Thank you all for thoughts. I am going to include a petrol model (1.33 Icon) as a comparison physically and financially. I just need to test drive one longer as I've drove diesels for years.

A Hybrid is way out of my 10k max budget, they don't start until £14k for a similar age model.

1 hour ago, nicebutdim said:

Thank you all for thoughts. I am going to include a petrol model (1.33 Icon) as a comparison physically and financially.

I would look at the 1.2T - performs more like a 1.6 petrol & will have better low down torque than the 1.33. Introduced in 2015 & available for under £10k looking at Autotrader. 

I recently purchased a used 2016 auris 1.2T Icon after trading in my avensis. I'm really enjoying the car so far, good around town and motorway. I'm currently averaging around 50 mpg with mixed driving and a reasonably conservative driving style. As mentioned above, the prices of diesel powered cars are declining fairly rapidly. 

I have a 65 plate Diesel Auris but it is the 1.4 D4D . I bought ther 1.4 as I had Auris and a Yaris previously with this engine and both were very reliable. This Auris is doing 55.4 average to the gallon.

• Like 1

Yeap 1.4 d-4d it’s much better choice imo. The bmw engine if nothing else cause you a problem in a long run when time comes up for a timing chain replacement the whole lot needs to come out of the car and engine and gear box dismantled because the timing is mounted on the inner side next to the clutch and the gearbox, what a wonderful design. Because of that huge work many bmw owners never bother to replace it and face a timing chain stretch or snap and engine failure. £3k parts and labour job. For the longer test drive you may ask Toyota to rent you out a car for a week so you can give it a good try before you buy, 1.2T may suits you better if you are use to a Diesel engine cars. And at the end if you decide to buy an older model you can get a Hybrid one for around 6-7k , save yourself a 3k and driving a modern car. Toyota garages still sale them with warranty and all b&w 

Regards 

Hi thanks for all replies.

I have one question at the moment. Re the MPG trip display.

Is this in the Toyota Touch head unit or accessible from the screen in between the dials? I couldn't seem to find it. When I pressed TRIP on the steering wheel, it just cycled between ODO, TRIP A and TRIP B?

You can download the owners manual foc from Toyota. e.g. d24bc9lyrt5en5.cloudfront.net/Customer-Portal-Admin/emanuals/TOYOTA/OM12J68E.pdf?

P108 suggests it's available in the mfd between the dials (as it is on my Avensis). 

There is a separate manual for nav. https://d24bc9lyrt5en5.cloudfront.net/Customer-Portal-Admin/emanuals/TOYOTA/OM12J41E.pdf?

Hi all,

Thanks for all help. Advice no longer needed. Placed a deposit on a 65 Kia Cee'd today. Fingers crossed it goes ok.