Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem with Aygo 2018

MarcoMarcus

I am wondering if I can get a little advice. I have Toyota Aygo X-Press 2018 I brought it brand new and it has a starting problem. At first instant it cranks but does not start and second time it starts as normal. This problem started one month after I picked my car  from Toyota salon.  Toyota service cannot find any problem. They change new starter motor new Battery but problem still there. I am tired to bring it back to Toyota service because they could not identify the issue.  I dealing with this problem about 6 month and every month I was taking my car to them.  Just wonder if anybody had the same or similar problem and any suggestions would be nice.

Thanks

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Are you fully depressing the clutch when starting the engine?

Moved to the Aygo club.

If its not driver error as suggested above I would keep insisting they find the issue otherwise they could end up replacing the entire Aygo under warranty. Even if it means leaving it with them for a few days and having a courtesy car.

Wiz201

I left my car many times with them for a few days, few weeks they keep telling me there is no problem. I am very frustrated. I even started to take videos on my phone when starting to have proof. Doesn’t happen often but problem is there I know.  I do not mind to keep taking my car to them every time and have their curtesy car but that means I cannot drive to work cause my business permit does not allow me to keep swapping cars that often. I can only change reg. number on my bossiness permit 3 times a year.

Dark Matter

From cold and not from cold some times when it starts looks like it’s not going to pick up but then suddenly picks up or have to crank engine a bit longer till picks up.  I hope it makes sense what I am trying to tell?

As asked earlier, are you fully depressing the clutch when trying to start the vehicle?

Frostyballs

I do not touch the clutch at all when I start my vehicle.

That's your issue.

The full owners manual states:

'Starting the engine

Check the parking brake is set

Check the shift lever is set in N

Firmly depress the clutch pedal

Turn the engine switch to the "START" position to start the engine.'

Frostyballs

Thanks for your replay. Does it apply for manual gearbox?

My 2018 Aygo sometimes turns the engine  over for what seems like ages (but is probably only several seconds) before it fires. Most of the time start  is instant. There is no apparent pattern to when the "is it going to start?" scenario happens.  My 2105 Aygo did exactly the same so I figure it's a "feature" and haven't pursued it as (neither) car has ever not started.

I'm not sure if that is what yo are experiencing.

In 45 years of driving I have ALWAYS  depressed the clutch when starting any  a car.  I thought everyone did that for obvious reasons ... seems  I'm wrong.

My X shift sometimes varies in times she'll turn over before starting. I have to press the brake pedal down firmly otherwise she doesn't do it at all.

On 2/27/2019 at 12:10 PM, MarcoMarcus said:

Frostyballs

Thanks for your replay. Does it apply for manual gearbox?

All Toyota manuals gearbox cars I have had you have to depress the clutch FULLY when starting the engine. Are you doing that?????

1 hour ago, Wiz201 said:

My X shift sometimes varies in times she'll turn over before starting. I have to press the brake pedal down firmly otherwise she doesn't do it at all.

Isobel - just so Marius is not confused, you must have an automatic, Yes??    The Toyotas I have had with auto gearboxes all required the foot brake to be pressed pretty hard whilst starting the car.

These are safety features that Toyota have built in.

On 2/28/2019 at 5:18 PM, Catlover said:

All Toyota manuals gearbox cars I have had you have to depress the clutch FULLY when starting the engine. Are you doing that?????

Isobel - just so Marius is not confused, you must have an automatic, Yes??    The Toyotas I have had with auto gearboxes all required the foot brake to be pressed pretty hard whilst starting the car.

These are safety features that Toyota have built in.

yes the X shift is automatc

On 2/27/2019 at 12:15 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Yes.

Does it??? I have a manual vehicle and if after reading this I depress the clutch pedal fully it has an adverse effect...........I simply don't touch anything ...put the key in and turn and within a micro second the engine starts.................in fact after reading this I tried it with the clutch pedal fully depressed and it got a whole lot worse.........NO way would I recommend that course of action on any modern car (post 70's) and not even pre 70's if one knows how to operate a manual ''choke'' ..........the only case I can see for doing so is if one has a very poorly underrated Battery CCA level wise but in reality I don't think anyone does (unless they got it from "Poundland" I have owned many pre 70's British classics whereby the engine and transmission fluids are shared and that is the only situation whereby depressing the clutch pedal is of any beneficiary! If your Aygo is not starting at the turn of the key instantly then it suggests other issues....

10 minutes ago, Colin J.S said:

Does it??? I have a manual vehicle and if after reading this I depress the clutch pedal fully it has an adverse effect...

The OP has a second generation Aygo, and the full owners manual for the second generation states:

'Starting the engine

Check the shift lever is set in N

Turn the engine switch to the "START" position to start the engine.'

So comparing a first generation to a second generation, isn't comparing like with like. Undoubtedly the second generation will start without depressing the clutch, but it starts easier by depressing the clutch as per the owners manual.

Furthermore, some recent Toyotas (notcthe Aygo) won't start unless the clutch is fully depressed as there is a safety device preventing the car starting unless the clutch is depressed. Both my 2009 and 2012 Auris had this.

7 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The OP has a second generation Aygo, and the full owners manual for the second generation states:

'Starting the engine

Check the shift lever is set in N

Turn the engine switch to the "START" position to start the engine.'

Yes I have seen your exact reply/copy/pasted response previously which relates to 'automatic' vehicles, the vehicle in question is apparently has a manual gearbox if you read it......(o offence btw)

2 minutes ago, Colin J.S said:

Yes I have seen your exact reply/copy/pasted response previously which relates to 'automatic' vehicles, the vehicle in question is apparently has a manual gearbox if you read it......(o offence btw)

No it doesn't relate to the X-shift - as the X-shift, being the automatic option, won't  have a clutch pedal to depress.

It is quite common for automatic versions of cars to not have a clutch pedal!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

No it doesn't relate to the X-shift - as the X-shift, being the automatic option, won't  have a clutch pedal to depress.

It is quite common for automatic versions of cars to not have a clutch pedal!

Oh Mr Frosty.......I have never ever seen an automatic with a clutch pedal.........my point was that you said this also applies to manual cars after you had explained how to start an auto by depressing the clutch pedal ..............is it April 1st by any chance lol 😉

The first part of the description from the owners manual applies to the X-shift transmission, the second part (which is the extract I quoted) applies to the manual transmission. 

The question the OP asked was "Does it apply for the manual gearbox?", and my answer was 'Yes'.

i did not refer at any time to the engine starting procedure for the automatic, so please refrain from implying I made statements I clearly haven't.

Whatever.............I was just trying to have a bit of banter with you.................you know a forum for like minded enthusiasts to share and enjoy each others tales and help each other .........I clearly over stepped the boundary and now completely understand why you chose the name of Frostyballs ...........I thought that as you are management and I inserted a 'smiley' emoji you may of grasped that.........

Clearly not.........please accept my humble apologies for upsetting you!!!

• 8 months later...

The long established idea of depressing the clutch pedal when starting is in fact based on highly sensible principles. When you start from cold in particular, without depressing the clutch, you are expecting the starter motor and Battery to be moving gearbox internals as well as the motor. If the engine is cold, and a gearbox with 75 to 90 weight oil, this will cause considerable unnecessary resistance.

Even if it's just the idler shaft and associated cogs being stirred around, it's completely  pointless and you will help your starter and Battery if you always depress the clutch.

• Like 2