Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power back door

Chriss27

Can someone advise that if you open the power back door and there is an obstacle with insufficient clearance, will the car identify this and auto stop or not. I was in a car park today and had reversed in and could not tell if there was enough space to open without potentially catching the car parked behind me.

Only after the door has 'hit' the obstacle I suspect ... same as when it's closing. It won't just power on regardless and will almost certainly pause, back-off a bit and stop. That's what it does when closing on an over stuffed boot. I have never actually tried, and don't intend trying, opening without sufficient space .... 🙂

The manual says

• "In the following situations, the power back door may detect an abnormality and automatic operation may be stopped. In this case, the back door has to be operated manually:
  • When the back door contacts an obstacle" 

It also says that pressing any of the buttons (including on the remote) while the door is opening/closing will stop it, pressing again reverses the direction, so you can make it stop before it hits something (assuming you're watching).  You can also program it to always only open to a certain height if you know you'll often open it in a low garage for example.

Looking again at the specs on Toyota's web site, it doesn't look promising that we in the UK will get the hands free opening feature (put foot under rear bumper).