Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil leak.

mrpj

My car was in for it's 5th, intermediate, service and M.O.T. last Wednesday at the supplying franchise. After duly paying and being advised that new tyres would probably be required next time and the handbrake could do with adjusting I went on my merry way. Checked the handbrake, three clicks, nothing wrong there. That would have been the quoted £29 down the pan. No aircon service history, that had a regass, locally, last May -£45. Quote £96!

The shocker was an engine oil leak, suspect rear main seal - £787 please, not conveyed verbally but I only saw this at home when reading he visual report. No, it's still under warranty until 28th Feb. Were you hoping I wouldn't notic ?Long story short, it's going in on 8th March for "investigation". Very disappoining on an engine which has done 24k miles.

Before anyone chimes in with this has never leaked on any Toyota I have owned, that is irrelevant because it's happened on mine!

sorry to hear that about your leak mrpj and thank you for making my mind up fully about getting a honda jazz now after all my problems too

as mine is going in 4th march for same noise on timing chain as last year (which i hope they fix and not ***** me about like last time)

hope they fix your leak

and thank you for your help sending me the video on your engine noise last year too

they dont seem to be very good at service really, they even messed up wheel tracking when one of my tyres had outer edge wear and now my steering wheel is lower on the left and the before and after on the tracking printout was exactly the same numbers .....

took it back and they said possible lower control arm or strut bent £300 to £400 to fix, what a crock, the steering wheel was straight before it went in and i looked underneath when i got home and there was only spanner scratch marks on the passenger side and nothing on the drivers side so i really think you pay full money and get trainee workmanship

so if they fix it i will keep mine till 69 plates in sept and if they dont i will just get a 19 plate jazz next week

even though they are local i cannot put up with this shoddy workmanship and even rust on the tailgate, for once i want a japanese car built in japan and not france

all the best with your problems mrpj sorry i cant help you out this time as you helped me

• Like 1

Thanks Dave.

It wouldn't surprise me if they poured some oil seal rejuvenator into the sump as a "fix".😎

To be fair, there was no attempt at a fob off and they are going to pick up and deliver the car. It was just the fact that nothing was mentioned when I paid for the service and M.O.T.. Only the wear and tear stuff they could make a few quid from.

Sadly proper mechanics are a dying breed now. Mostly it's parts cannon "technicians".

Good luck.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

the thing is they prob wont do anything as yours is in on a friday, you would prob have to get it booked in for a couple of days

mine is in on the monday but they might go back to being deaf like the last few times before they did the job, its a £1100 timing chain job job on mine so i think they will try to wriggle out of the job (8 hours labour, £300 parts and VAT), as this is the same job as they did last year toyota might not pay for it again even though it lasted for over 6000 miles and over 10 months before the noise returned.

not sure about the policy toyota use, i have heard they get back all the parts money but only two thirds of the labour bill

good luck to you too

well the car is in for the chain noise, the mechanic apparently didnt need me to demonstrate the noise (it was booked in for noise to be demonstrated as it only comes in after a few mins), he just better not run it for a min and switch it off and say nothing wrong after two days in the shop

oh yes and the service manager said the drivers airbag will be replaced for the recall if anyone is interested

Hopefully it will be sorted - again - Dave and they can determine the cause too,  rather than the symptom.

My driver's airbag was replaced during a service last Febuary (2018) after over a year since the notification letter from Toyota. The dealer miraculously found the replacement the day after I contacted Toyota GB.🤣

Mine goes in this Friday for "investigation" re the oil leak which, in honesty, I can't see any evidence of. i.e. oil drips under the car, oil on the gearbox/engine underside nor any need to add oil - ever. I'm fairly sure there was non spilt during it's service, again no evidence of that. Plus the filler is at the opposite end to the rear main seal.

well its back, wash and airbag done

said they drove it but same mileage was on it, they wont do it, they say they tested it and cannot find anything wrong so there you go.

good job i just put a deposit down on a honda jazz today hopefully collecting on sat, test drove it last sat as i knew they would drag their heels

moved up to an 18 plate jazz s (7 months old) current facelift shape with a couple of thousand miles from a 66 plate yaris icon, i did like my other jazz and civic in the past and the cost to change was not too bad at all

well mrpj i really hope they get your seal leak fixed on friday as you seem to have a much better dealer than me and thanks again for your help last year doing the chain video

My pleasure Dave. Sorry it's not worked out satisfactorily re the Yaris.

Good luck with the Jazz. Father in Law had one and a 2001 Civic prior to that - excellent cars.

Sorry to see you go Dave (I probably would have lost faith in the brand if that happened to me.) I always enjoyed reading your posts, the forum will be a man down so to speak! All the best, hope to see you back in the future.

4 minutes ago, stantheman1 said:

Sorry to see you go Dave (I probably would have lost faith in the brand if that happened to me.) I always enjoyed reading your posts, the forum will be a man down so to speak! All the best, hope to see you back in the future.

thanks, i will prob pop in from time to time i just felt they were taking my money for service and not holding up their end of the bargain for warranty work.

the mechanic apparently didnt need to hear the noise with me in the morning (it was noted down by the woman i spoke to) and then low and behold they cannot hear it two days later.

they said they took it for a test drive and wow the mileage was the same from two days ago, who would have thought.

they cant even do tracking right on a car, only adjusting one track rod as that is the only one with spanner marks on and having my steering wheel off centre to the left, even having the before and after figures on the tracking printout the exact same and when i went back they "did it again" with some made up numbers as it was just the same and they blamed it on either a bent lower control arm or bent strut, total useless mechanics rrg altrincham, and now the sales team wont be getting a sale for a new yaris when it comes out later in the year.

they are all shiny showroom and no substance behind the scenes

That is totally unacceptable from the dealer! How many other owners have been treated the same.....It does make you wonder.

4 minutes ago, stantheman1 said:

That is totally unacceptable from the dealer! How many other owners have been treated the same.....It does make you wonder.

when i go in the other customers are usually foreign or old people so it might go on a lot, they certainly wont be getting any more of my business

• Like 1

what was the verdict about the oil leak then mrpj, did they find anything?

17 hours ago, monkeydave said:

what was the verdict about the oil leak then mrpj, did they find anything?

I came to update and you have already asked the question. Thanks for the interest Dave.:thumbsup:

The short answer is no.🙄 I suspected it would be because there isn't an oil leak. Maybe a "mechanic" who is in urgent need of a Specsavers appointment!

I'll try to be brief.

I cannot fault the way the dealers have followed up on this. Phone call from them on Thursday to confirm the collection, car collected on Friday morning, phone call from them on Friday evening. First question, "Has any form of rustproofing been sprayed under the car?" You know where this is going. "Yes, chassis aerosol spray, not long after purchase." (five services by them since and only now been reported) It's been determined that there is no engine oil leak by using an oil UV additive and going through the procedure for that. A UV lamp has detected nothing. It would seem that he has spotted some anti-rust overspray collected where a rear main seal leak would reveal itself. Did he not think to check by touching/rubbing it?

I don't disbelieve them at all.

It's been kept over the weekend, checked again yesterday morning and will be delivered back on Monday morning. If I want to it can be checked again in a month or so just to make 100% sure.

So a good outcome. Top marks to the dealer and a fail for the mechanic who incorrectly reported/diagnosed it.

On 3/5/2019 at 3:44 PM, monkeydave said:

moved up to an 18 plate jazz s (7 months old)

Please change your profile accordingly.

51 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Please change your profile accordingly.

no your alright

No, if you've changed the car, change your profile - otherwise it is misleading to other members.