Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What A Difference A Day Makes

Catlover

No I am NOT going to break out in song........ Its what a difference this nice summer type weather in February is making to my mpg

Here is my very latest Prius Gen4 mpg.

Sunday 24th Feb was a return journey of 8.5 miles each way.  Tuesday 25th Feb, we travelled about 18 mile to Warrington, then moved around that town,

Wed 26th Feb Was a return trip to Sheffield area.  Today 27th Feb  Was 2 return journeys in the local area, largest of which was 5 mile each way, so mostly on cold engine starts.

I very impressed with these figures, cant wait for the real summer to come. 

I just love my Prius.

P1010858.JPG

• Like 3

Same here. Had two much warmer days here and for an extra 10mpg on my fault averages.

Noticed the difference too. Until I was stuck behind a few dithers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warm weather!?

Yep. Last few days here in the UK have been the hottest for February since records began. More like end of Spring temperatures.

1 hour ago, altocumulus said:

Warm weather!?

Geoff.  Been beautiful down here in Chester, Cheshire where I live, and on Tuesday went to see our son in Sheffield and that was the same. Got stuck in a few car tail ups round Mottram going and coming back, then tail ups on the M56 around Manchester Airport and then when approaching Frodsham, came off the M56 to beat the queues and obviously a lot of others had done the same. That was the day I got the 74.9mpg.      Whats it been like where you are - presumably around Aberdeen.

It might have been overly warm in Aboyne, but here some 40 mile north from there it's not been warmer than 12C!

20 hours ago, Catlover said:

No I am NOT going to break out in song........ Its what a difference this nice summer type weather in February is making to my mpg

Here is my very latest Prius Gen4 mpg.

Sunday 24th Feb was a return journey of 8.5 miles each way.  Tuesday 25th Feb, we travelled about 18 mile to Warrington, then moved around that town,

Wed 26th Feb Was a return trip to Sheffield area.  Today 27th Feb  Was 2 return journeys in the local area, largest of which was 5 mile each way, so mostly on cold engine starts.

I very impressed with these figures, cant wait for the real summer to come. 

I just love my Prius.

P1010858.JPG

What wheels have you got? 15 or 16 inch?

1 hour ago, Cjohnston1982 said:

What wheels have you got? 15 or 16 inch?

I have a Gen4 Excel, the standard wheels are 17".   However, having had a 2010 Gen3 Prius with 17", which i found a bit too solid for me, and easier to kerb, so when I was looking for a Gen 4 I was determined to buy one with 15" wheels, so 15" wheels are what I have.

When I bought the car, second hand, the dealer was in Solihull, so I did a 98.7 mile trip back and got 91.9 mpg - that was late July last year when it was really hot day.  

Opps of course. Mine is the 17inch not the 16 I quoted above. I tried to get the 15 inch wheels but there wasn’t any available.

I find the Gen 4 is around 10% more economical, often more, than the Auris Hybrid I had before.

I found that as well C. My first hybrid (still less then 2 years ago) was an Auris hybrid. The wife now has it. She doing about about 54 mpg at the moment, the Gen 3 would be doing just about 62ish in the last few days of nice weather. As you know, the Gen4 is much better.

And yes, it took me a lot of searching for my Gen4. I wanted either Business Edition Plus or an Excel, definitely wanted 15" wheels, preferred Supersonic Red......... this Excel came up exactly matching that......and it became mine.

So, have you got 2 Prius, a 2015 and a 2019 ???

Just a 2019 Prius Excel. I had to have the Excel but could only get the 17 inch wheels. Apparently the current Prius isn’t being built anymore and Toyota are preparing the (new) 2019 model with the larger touch screen etc but no date has been set for delivery. 

The PHV magnifies the winter/summer difference in miles-per-gallon to a mind-boggling degree on my commute. I do around 64 miles in total. Because of the massive impact cold weather has on EV range, the difference between my 'winter worst' and 'summer best' commutes currently sits at around 80mpg!

• Like 1

@Jay. How does your charge capacity change, Winter/Summer? I was charging 100% until early January into the 30-34 mile range, the last few have been 27.9 miles (despite the weather less cold temperature-wise) - and those figures without heat/AC.

Geoff, the indicated charge capacity is highly variable. Worst I've seen is an indicated 27 miles and it seems to vary around 27-29 in winter (heating ON) or 33-34 (heating OFF). Back in September it had crept up to showing 40+ (heating OFF). 

That doesn't tell the whole story, though. Actual range is affected by the cold and the use of the heater much more than the fantasy indicator, which remains hopelessly optimistic for me at all times. On my best day with nice warm temps AM and PM, I eked out 36 miles on EV (32 on the way in, 4 on the way back). That was on an indicated range of around 41, I think, with the heating off all the time. The worst I've seen in the cold is a paltry 17 miles, from an indicated range of 27 with heating on all the time. The additional time then spent in HV mode is what's murdering my overall MPG.  

All comparisons are using the same journey and same driving style. The only major differences are the weather and use of heating.

• Thanks 1

Aye, actual range is a bit of a guess some days.

Mind we have a few hills hereabouts that upset calculations.

Overall we've nothing to grumble about! Even with winter tyres on, the mpg on HV is impressive, just done 84mpg into Aberdeen. Our real test will be later this month on a trip to Leeds.