Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Touring sports hybrid- replacement dampers

AdamJG

Hi, I have a 2015 hybrid touring and I’d like to improve the handling of the car. 

Its certainly no sports car, and I am under no illusions that it will never be pin sharp handling, but some small improvements might just help.

Has anyone replaced the dampers with something more uprated?

Thanks

Hi

I own 2014 TS hybrid and the only thing bothering me with the suspension is that the car sits very low...I always afraid to hear a dreadful BANG from bumps on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, ShimonElkabetz said:

I own 2014 TS hybrid and the only thing bothering me with the suspension is that the car sits very low...I always afraid to hear a dreadful BANG from bumps on the road

In the UK you can arrange for custom-made springs from  these people:-     https://www.springcoil.co.uk/springs/suspension-springs/

Perhaps of no use to you in your part of the world.

17 hours ago, AdamJG said:

Has anyone replaced the dampers with something more uprated?

Nothing to do with dampers, but what trim level/tyre size does your car have?

Depending on your model, you could always fit the bigger wheels/lower profile tyres from the next model up, assuming your insurance company agrees, of course.  

Your mpg will drop and the ride quality will suffer, but the car will feel sportier!

I can understand regarding the ride height, it is quite low.

I guess to reduce drag....

My car is the excel model with the 17’’ wheels. I wonder if it has too large/heavy wheels from standard. Perhaps the smaller wheel/tyre combo from say the business edition spec might handle better to lighten the unsprung weight! 

Ive only driven excel models so unfortunately didn’t try a business edition spec car to see what the difference might be.

The car is really cracking, I’m really being very picky! 

23 minutes ago, AdamJG said:

My car is the excel model with the 17’’ wheels. I wonder if it has too large/heavy wheels from standard. Perhaps the smaller wheel/tyre combo from say the business edition spec might handle better to lighten the unsprung weight!  

On the basis of experience with several Avensis with both 17" & 18" wheels/tyres incl. on the same car what Gerg says is true - larger diameter tyre with lower profile will improve roadholding/handling but at the cost of mpg, ride & potentially more tyre damage (due to the state of our roads).

1 hour ago, AdamJG said:

Perhaps the smaller wheel/tyre combo from say the business edition spec might handle better to lighten the unsprung weight! 

You are right about the unsprung weight.  The Excel 17" wheel/tyre weighs about 20.6 kg, the 16 inch wheel/tyre is around 18.5 kg and the 15" wheel/tyre that used to be fitted to some Auris up until 2015 is about 16.5 kg.  The Toyota safety spare is 12 kg, for what it's worth.

I have driven with the 15" and 17" in the last few days, and I am 'settling-in' some 16" wheels/tyres currently to see how they fit in the scheme of things.  These were all different brands of tyre and different degrees of wear, though.

On an Excel, the larger front brakes stop you experimenting with 15" wheels, but the 16" wheels should fit, if you so choose, but they are fairly snug.  Its a big enough gap to fit wheel balancing weights on he inside of the wheel without any problems.

On the Prius (so Auris too?) the different wheel sizes, when fitted at the factory, result in Toyota coding the ABS/stability control ECU with slightly different values.  There is a number in there for tyre 'performance', which may include wheel inertia.

If I remember correctly, the standard dampers are made by Japanese company KYB (Kayaba) in Spain.  I am not aware of uprated dampers being available, but then I haven't looked too hard.

On 2/28/2019 at 8:58 PM, Gerg said:

You are right about the unsprung weight.  The Excel 17" wheel/tyre weighs about 20.6 kg, the 16 inch wheel/tyre is around 18.5 kg and the 15" wheel/tyre that used to be fitted to some Auris up until 2015 is about 16.5 kg.  The Toyota safety spare is 12 kg, for what it's worth.

I have driven with the 15" and 17" in the last few days, and I am 'settling-in' some 16" wheels/tyres currently to see how they fit in the scheme of things.  These were all different brands of tyre and different degrees of wear, though.

On an Excel, the larger front brakes stop you experimenting with 15" wheels, but the 16" wheels should fit, if you so choose, but they are fairly snug.  Its a big enough gap to fit wheel balancing weights on he inside of the wheel without any problems.

On the Prius (so Auris too?) the different wheel sizes, when fitted at the factory, result in Toyota coding the ABS/stability control ECU with slightly different values.  There is a number in there for tyre 'performance', which may include wheel inertia.

If I remember correctly, the standard dampers are made by Japanese company KYB (Kayaba) in Spain.  I am not aware of uprated dampers being available, but then I haven't looked too hard.

Thanks Greg, some very interesting info. 20kg seems rather a lot to me!

I have KYB gas-adjust dampers on my classic mini, they are excellent road dampers.

Wonder if they make something similar for the auris. I’ll have a look.

many thanks for all your comments.

• 3 years later...

Strictly speaking. KYB is the OEM supplier for most Toyota cars, Camry  corolla yaris.  The aftermarket KYB may be slightly stiffer than OEM. You also can get Bilstein or Sachs which is known to make excellent shocks and struts. My front struts has surface rust just below the boot, but still rides firm and quiet. The rear has no corrosion  issue.  

If you want Stiffer handling, check your rear stabilizer bar links rubber cushion. They are known to wear out. The ball joint part of the links are tough and strong,  no need to replace it. Just get the rubber peace, lift it up both sides and put back in in 30 minutes.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AisinW said:

If you want Stiffer handling

The topic is over two years old, so have probably decided by now.