Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing a rear wheel bearing housing

sproutdreamer

The 4 securing bolts were removed with a struggle but the bearing flange seems to be rusted solid into its housing in the subframe. I have tried lots of wellie with a lump hammer on the bolt ends (which actually seem to be made for taking hammer blows on a socket extension as the are a small hex head with a larger forged flange) without it budging. I have soaked it in penetrating oil for a couple of days. It is an awkward place to apply heat and also the brake cylinder are on the back plate so that is a problem. Is there some clever way of getting out the bearing carrier. I cannot see any way a puller could grip?

Even more wellie & success!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

......Wellies always work better in pairs! 😛

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a new bearing/ABS unit and at the MOT test it had an advisory as "play in bearing". I checked and there was play in the new bearing so purchased another from a different supplier. This one also had play. The third I bought was a german made one and was fine. There is clearly a lot of rubbish out there and reading e bay feedback on bearings there seems to be a high rate of premature wear and early failures, some only 50 miles!

• Like 1

Same happened to me I had a rover 75 diesel and at the time the front wheel bearings were big money so I did just that cheap ones off eBay 150 miles later no good they went noisy so false economy and more work but anyway I would take care and give it a bit heat probably won't need much or just give it more wellie it's got to give good luck 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links