Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clock display

eyelander

The default digital clock on my Aygo screen seems to be faulty, but I'm assured by Toyota that it is supposed to look the way it does.

The perspective makes it look as though it is aimed towards the passenger, and there is a REALLY annoying mirror image of the digits at the bottom of the screen. The demo I had before purchase was a normal front facing display. Why would anyone design a display like this? I can't believe it is only me that finds it so annoying. Any ideas/comments? 

DSCF0818.JPG

I think mine is like that as well . I hardly ever see that screen it as I usually have "Audio On" so I'm not certain but will check.  It is an  awful design though.

I have to say although I like the touch screen and it's capabilities some of the design elements leave a lot to be desired from a user interface point of view.

I work in software  design and some of the ways the screen looks and functions would not have got past a first stage design review in my business.

I am particularly unimpressed how the Nav screen does not contain a clock. A fairly basic requirement when Navigation is active . This is compounded by the fact that the LCD module in the instrument binnacle has no clock either ( but repeats the  temperature from the X Play display) .  

When my partner first sat in the car and saw the Nav screen her first question was " Where's the clock?" I am astonished that  none of the developers who worked on  this  didn't put their  hand up a design review and ask the same question.

I had a lengthy exchange with Toyota  about this and they were understanding but ultimately  unable to help.  think the whole thing is a Pioneer design anyway which complicates matters.

LHD perspective maybe. Maybe there is a software/firmware fix for this or perhaps even something buried in some 'factory' menu somewhere. 

I'd agree. Probably a LHD design. I can understand that manufacturers reuse as much as possible between LHD and RHD models to reduce cost (especially on a price sensitive model like the Aygo). However, this is just software and should not be hard to change. 

The irony is that the mirroring and perspective that you find so annoying, is probably something that someone has spend much effort to achieve and may ultimately be the reason they have not gone through the trouble of re-rendering it for RHD perspective.

Mine is like that ...I’ve just checked 

can’t say I noticed it before 

The Pioneer unit is shared across the Aygo/C1/108, and the UK is the only the second right hand drive market in Europe these cars are sold in -  if the clock display is biased towards left hand drive, this is almost certainly the reason why.

Yep - Mine's the same. 

I must say I have never noticed it before but then again it's a screen I rarely  see as I tend to  leave the audio ON.

Not having left/right config option is sloppy design. I've droned on about this earlier in this thread.  It is entirely possible that the option exists in a service menu but seems routinely configured incorrectly by Toyota.   Unlikely,  but not impossible. It's a bit of a first world problem and more frustrating than anything how easy it would have been to sort these minor niggles and the design stage. All I can say  is that the software people I work with would have been all over this and fixed these "issues" before it got anywhere near a customer.

Probably more to do with standardising production.

Similar to wiper patterns, where some manufacturers in the past have either not converted the wipers for right hand drive, or reached a compromise, the latest of which is having both wipers sweep up towards the A pillar on both sides of the car.

Back in the 70's some manufacturers adopted a standard placing of the indicator stalk on the left side of the steering column, which is a left hand drive set up, on all cars. This was purely for standardising production, and is now common practice.

Agree, is a bit poor and if it not configurable then even worse, it just another distraction behind the wheel that not needed, do car manufacturers not do focus groups anymore to pick these things up, it's a simple clock for goodness sake! 

We got a early Pug 108, my sister not mentioned it, but will have a double check at the weekend.

18 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Probably more to do with standardising production.

Similar to wiper patterns, where some manufacturers in the past have either not converted the wipers for right hand drive, or reached a compromise, the latest of which is having both wipers sweep up towards the A pillar on both sides of the car.

Back in the 70's some manufacturers adopted a standard placing of the indicator stalk on the left side of the steering column, which is a left hand drive set up, on all cars. This was purely for standardising production, and is now common practice.

Like the Aygo bonnet release being in the passenger foot well on a RHD