Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auxiliary Lights

Mick F

We have a 2014 Yaris Hybrid, and in common with most of us(?) the headlights leave a lot to be desired despite fitting Optiwhite bulbs.

In the old days, many folk fitted auxiliary driving lights, and I've had a few cars over the years with them.  These lights cannot come on until the full beam is on, and many times these are connected directly to the full beam supply so they come on "automatically" with the full beam.

We're quite happy with the dipped beams, just the full beams are poor, so a pair of auxiliary driving lights would boost the full beam to something very useful.

Can this be done on a 2014 Yaris?

Any comments regarding this subject?

Mick.

Perhaps something like these MINI lamps:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-MINI-SPOT-LIGHTS-DRIVING-LAMPS-IN-CHROME-WIPAC-NEW-PAIR-THE-BEST-/320993383752

The wiring should be very straightforward. Where to bolt them though?

On the original Mini, was there not, as well as bolt on lights, an aftermarket radiator grill/spotlight combo available, where the lights were sunken right into the grille??  

As above the wiring should be straight forward by finding the high beam wires and connect to that, an auto electrician can easily do it. The question is how/where to mount. 

16 hours ago, 007matt said:

The question is how/where to mount. 

This is our car.

I was wondering if a pair of lamps could be fitted either side of the number plate and set in cutouts into the grille.  I have no idea what the metalwork inside is like and if lamps could be secured there.  I don't think they would look right mounted proud on the front.

Mick.

Toyota Yaris Hybrid.png

I think that can work, might not need any cutting of the grille, just place in front of it. U shape metal with nuts/washers to secure the lights. Hopefully it will be strong enough to secure it in safely, light unit should be quite light. Worth investigating. 

This is an interesting one to me as I also find older Toyota lights very poor. How does fitting extra lamps fit in with the MOT?

The way I see it - or not during darkness! 😢 - is that providing the lamps don't extend forwards and be a hazard to any pedestrians or collisions, they should be fine so long as they comply with rules and regs for use on the road.

No doubt you can fit anything anywhere for off-road use, but all I would like is an addition to what we have now.  So long as they comply with power output and aren't "sicky-out" they would be fine.

Hence my thoughts regarding recessing them into the front grille.

Mick.

Might be a good idea to consider feeding these lights through a relay activated by main beam to handle the extra load demanded