Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing leaking power steering pipes under Avensis

dodgy_damo

Vehicle: TOYOTA AVENSIS T SPIRIT VVT-I T SPIRIT VVT-I HATCHBACK 1998cc (2004) PETROL

Right I've had a power steering leak that has got progressively worse- queue topping up quite often and a snail trail left behind.

Spoke to my not so local anymore' mechanic after getting under and he suggested getting Kwick fit or Halfords to pop it up and have a look. I had already taken pics when I jacked up the car and was told (Halfords) that its the power steering pipe (they showed me same pics). I understand these are sealed units (pipes, crimped rubber).

Has anyone else had to replace these? So its a trip to Mr T parts or sourcing used- thoughts on either? The bracket has also split that's holding the pipes- does anyone know of the parts from Toyota also come with the metal brackets too? I've seen some pretty cheap pipes on ebay- mainly from diesel vehicles. As its power steering would the parts be compatible from a diesel of the same year?

Cheers

20190225_152537.jpg

20190225_153119.jpg

It's part no 4441005240- looks like new it comes with bracket

453469D.png

I had to have this replaced on my 2006 Avensis a few months ago. Initially there was a noise every time I steered. Rang then AA and they showed me the pipe that needed replacing. It cost £140 from my local garage. Apparently the bend on the pipe points toward the road meaning any water dripping down the engine collects here and eventually rusts. 

I got that noise too- started with a drip and has got worse. Did they get the pipe from Toyota or use an aftermarket or breakers part?

Typical that a design isn't perfect, hey?

I'm not sure. I would imagine it was after market considering the low replacement price.

• 1 year later...

Update- got the correct pipe second hand off eBay (£25 delivered). It actually came from Lithuania. Had to get my mechanic to fit it, got the MOT service done at same time.

A year on and not a drop of power steering fluid lost. happy days!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links