Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Audio Stereo Steering Wheel Control Kits For Corolla T-Sport

KennyKen1988

As the title suggests is there an adaptor kit for the Corolla T-Sport?

I just installed a Kenwood KMM-BT502DAB into my 2002 Corolla and went with the Connects2 CTSTY001.2 http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTSTY001.2

This is supposed to compatible with Corolla models spanning 2001-2011 according to the store "Dynamic Sounds" but during install one of the plugs (one with the three pins) is not compatible with the Corolla T-Sport harness at all, only the other two main ISO and audio plugs are fine. Luckily this is a good store who apologized and I was able to return this adaptor.

I have settled with a Halfrauds ISO adaptor just to finished off my installation but obviously I have no wheel controls anymore 😞

Connects2 said they do not support the Corolla when I asked via online technical ticket, so is there no wheel adaptor for the T-Sport? Has anyone had the same experience?

Thank you.

Hi,

Cannot remember for sure, but think this has been answered before and there were adapters available to do just that.

If you search this forum on Radio Adapters and Steering control think you may find those old posts.

Also look in the Audio forum  -

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/forum/19-audiovideoelectronics/

45 minutes ago, KennyKen1988 said:

Connects2 said they do not support the Corolla when I asked via online technical ticket,

& yet their website says they do ... http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTSTY001.2#vehicle-application If it doesn't open on the Vehicle Applications sheet just click the tab.

Iirc there are two different plugs in our generation of Corolla, and you have to work out which one before ordering. 

I got a set no probs from a place in Bradford, matches the harness, head unit (original one in my case) and steering wheel controls.

Yes two the connections were fine, that being the standard ISO harness adaptor and the speaker wiring. I can imagine there could be a simple adaptor harness but I cannot find one for sale anywhere.

Connects2 supports to the Corolla yes but not the T-Sport model with the original "W58802" because this clearly has a different plug fitment to other Corolla models. Please see the image I've highlighted the plug that doesn't fit the T-Sport.

I looked at many sites prior to ordering and never saw any other vatiations available. I went all over the net and looked at other brand variations such as Autoleads and some companies in the US through YouTube. The Rav4, Avensis all have similar setups so it was just just my luck when I realized the Corolla T-Sport had some different plug!

I think if you got the 1.4, D4D, T-Spirit etc. you will have no problem with compatibility.  I'm not sure why the T-Sport is different, maybe its something to do with the other onboard electronics, the climate control and where information goes.

Just to top things off, I got my stereo mainly for DAB+ and had a budget "shark fin" antenna attached which looked nice but I got signal break up when driving down on the lower coastal roads. I decided to get a rather large 55cm original antenna, ditching the shark fin I fitted a year or so ago...the signal is worse! Now I got predominant break up all the time. Oh well at least I got an engine note to enjoy!

CTSTY001.2.thumb.jpg.9ad86d2437f779ae8f7b12278a3ca016.jpg

You'll need to fit a ferric core rfi emi choke over the live wire to remove the radio static noise. A new aerial won't resolve it completely.

These are cheap enough at only a few £ on eBay for example but get one the right size for the live wire diameter.

Hope this helps you out.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks DeTomato I'll give one of those a go, I think I installed one of those many years ago to reduce an electronic interference coming from a laptops 3.5mm output, had it on a wire to another jack it removed this annoying whine of a sound.

I don't know whether to consider another shark fin antenna since my signal is very poor with the new standard ALCO 55cm antenna installed. Signal is very weak or I have no signal where as before with the shark fin it was very good unless I was down at almost sea level.

• Like 1

The aerial itself needs to have a tightly wound core of a sufficient wire length of at least 55cm to improve the signal capture and enhance it enough. Unfortunately you can't see the internal winds inside the plastic covering and cheap aerials made these days are poor quality with few winds - that's why they are cheap as I'm sure you know. A shark's fin is a fair option if it has a built-in amplifier in the wiring.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

In the end I have just stuck with the long standard antenna and not looked into it any further. Thanks to those who gave ideas on this.

If i remember correctly...pre facelift E12's uses the "old" connector for the steeringwheelbuttons, while they facelift one...i'm fairly certain got the "new" one that most Toyota's use up until ca. 2008-2010 depending on model.

The only aftermarket accessory supplier I've found that has an interface that has this older plug is the ASWC-TOY-LEX from Metra:

http://www.metraonline.com/part/ASWC-TOY-LEX

• Thanks 1

Good response @lpher it's very vague online and I'm sure many have ordered the connects2 kit to find out it's not correct, unless they already had all the stereo out. I may look into getting one sometime as I miss the use of the controls.

Hi Kenny

I might also add that the signals used are indeed identical... Meaning that if you use for instance the Connects2 kit...you will be able to use it...IF...you are willing to cut and rewire the necessary cables...as its only the connectors that are different. 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was really debating on snipping the connections and rewiring but I was unsure if it would work at all. I decided not too since I wouldn't be able to send the product back for a refund.

I need to look into this again as my single din conversion and mechless Kenwood bt502dab it sits very light and rattles a little also which is annoying.

2019-08-06 13.39.32.jpg

• 1 month later...

I know the feeling…this rattling is quite common when using this method of fastening the aftermarket headunit...but you should be able to get it to settle...but i might have to go give the metal cage another look 🙂

• Like 1

I have the metal doubble din and the mount is much more solid and no squeeks a bit of an unsightly gap but will try fixing that soon.

Interms of wheel controls I have a Sony radio that auto detects wheel inputs from a 3.5mm jack wired across 3 harness pins

Worked first time ez

Unfortunately when you turn the lights on it must shift a register or something because all the buttons stop working apart from the volume up which becomes volume down

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or knows how to fix?

• Like 1

I think for me it's down to the fact my replacement setup is so lightweight. The original Toyota unit is really heavy in comparison like a brick, my mechless Kenwood in the single din is probably an eighth of the weight! It has been a lot better recently so I'm wondering if it's the heat on the dashboard causing movement. Hmm these funny rattles that come and go....

I have a Connects2 adaptor on my Compressor, steering buttons work perfectly fine plugged into a Pioneer double Din with DVD, DAB+ and Apple CarPlay. DAB antenna is stuck to the windscreen though, never had any issues with it.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I'm pretty sure there is a Connects2 that does work for the pre-facelift T-Sport but I think I was sent the wrong one I'm sure I just needed one with a different type of plug fitment for the final connection.

Yeah I have seen the windscreen stick on antenna and I might switch to one in the Spring/Summer.

I plan to look into this again so I'm going to loose the splitter and use a separate stick on antenna and also try to find the right connects2 adaptor...

The swrc depends on the oem stereo - the different oem manufacturers use different resistance values for the controls

iirc there are 5 types and Kenwood use 2-3 different connection types the main 2 are a single wire or a 3.5mm jack - what means you have to get the correct connects2 patch lead for the interface