Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Excel and Icon Tech Hybrid mpg

Azmina

Hi 

I am new so apologies if I make any silly mistakes.  I currently drive a Fiesta Titanium X and am looking to get the Excel as its the only one that has similar features of the Titanium.  I am having trouble deciding whether it will give me any real savings on the mpg.  My titanium currently averages out at 40 mpg every two weeks on a full tank which costs me around £40. I have heard countless number of people say I would need to drive it less than 30 mph to get any real savings, but this isn't practical on my commute.  

Can anyone please tell me what your real mpg is on the Excel or the Icon Tech (another model I am considering) and how long an average tank costs and lasts?

I have also read reviews where they say it's not a very exciting car to drive compared to the Fiesta.  I don't get over excited while going to work but I just need to know what they mean by this. 

Thank you in advance 🙂

Hi Azmina, welcome to TOC 🙂

To help people help you can you please give them more information as to what your commute comprises of (distance & % urban, motorway etc.) & annual mileage?

Of course usually the biggest cost in running a car is depreciation so unless you are due to change the car anyway (e.g. end of PCP) then the fuel saving may not cover the depreciation on a newer car.

The Yaris hybrid has a slightly smaller fuel tank than the Fiesta (36l v42l).

Other driver's commutes may be quite different to yours, and may not reflect what you may achieve.

Your best bet would be to compare the Honest John Real mpg figures for the Yaris hybrid with whatever engine size Fiesta you have. Also bear in mind the hybrid is automatic, and your Fiesta may be manual.

See https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/yaris-and-yaris-hybrid-2011/15-vvt-i-hybrid

I'm currently getting 53.4 mpg over the last 3000 miles from my Yaris Excel hybrid, improving daily as the weather warms up. Driving is quite spirited now the snow and ice have gone so could realistically get 56mpg if I backed off a bit, but its good fun !

Never really took notice of tank range, rough calc , full tank costs about £38, current price about £1.22ltr  or £5.49  a gallon , call it 7 gallons full to empty, equates to roughly 373 miles from full tank. Drive on the flat and like Miss Daisy reckon easily 420 miles a tank. 

Edited by bill.belfield
Update

35 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Hi Azmina, welcome to TOC 🙂

To help people help you can you please give them more information as to what your commute comprises of (distance & % urban, motorway etc.) & annual mileage?

Of course usually the biggest cost in running a car is depreciation so unless you are due to change the car anyway (e.g. end of PCP) then the fuel saving may not cover the depreciation on a newer car.

The Yaris hybrid has a slightly smaller fuel tank than the Fiesta (36l v42l).

Hi Heidi, 

Thanks.  My work commute is mainly urban, around 12 miles each way and the usual weekend runaround in town.  I have had the fiesta close to 5 years and its just about to reach 27000 miles on the clock.  

23 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Other driver's commutes may be quite different to yours, and may not reflect what you may achieve.

Your best bet would be to compare the Honest John Real mpg figures for the Yaris hybrid with whatever engine size Fiesta you have. Also bear in mind the hybrid is automatic, and your Fiesta may be manual.

See https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/yaris-and-yaris-hybrid-2011/15-vvt-i-hybrid

I have an automatic 1 litre eco boost engine.  I have read the reviews on Honest John but still undecided 

You're in London.  It's flat there.  Take your time and relax and use the hybrid gently but firmly.

Here, it's hilly. We can get as low as 30mpg locally sometimes.  If I were to state our overall average MPG, it would be the mid 40s but going further it would be the low 50s.  Motorways we can get 60mpg but we have to keep the speed down.

Mick.

• Like 1

Still lacking in information - which Fiesta? 2008 onwards? 2013 onwards? 2017 onwards?

Compare the Real mpg figures for the Fiesta with the Yaris.

11 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Still lacking in information - which Fiesta? 2008 onwards? 2013 onwards? 2017 onwards?

Compare the Real mpg figures for the Fiesta with the Yaris.

I own 14 reg Titanium X.  I am just about to reach 27,000 on the clock and that includes daily commute to work and usual trips around town in the weekend.  I did have a look at Honest John and it would seem to suggest I could average at 55 mpg, so 15 more than what I am doing now.  

There are lots of contradictory reviews from users about how to drive it for optimum performance

As with any car, the consumption others are achieving can only be an indication, given the differences in driving styles, driving patterns, etc. A test drive may help, but ultimately you're not going to get any more than an indication of what you may or may not achieve.

4 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As with any car, the consumption others are achieving can only be an indication, given the differences in driving styles, driving patterns, etc. A test drive may help, but ultimately you're not going to get any more than an indication of what you may or may not achieve.

I realise this and I am not looking for an exact scientifically based answer.  I am just looking for some guidance 

1 hour ago, Azmina said:

I own 14 reg Titanium X.  I am just about to reach 27,000 on the clock and that includes daily commute to work and usual trips around town in the weekend.  I did have a look at Honest John and it would seem to suggest I could average at 55 mpg, so 15 more than what I am doing now.  

as far as I can see for a 2014 Fiesta 1.0 turbo Ecoboost Powershift HJ's Real MPG is 42.5 or 38.4 depending upon engine version.  https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/fiesta-2013

The equivalent for a Yaris 1.5 VVTi Hybrid is ~ 55.

If we asssume that you are doing ~ 5,500 miles p.a. & use 55mpg for the Yaris & 43 for the Fiesta then the Yaris could save you 28 gallons p.a. or if we use £1.15/litre then ~£146 per year.

I haven't looked at VED, London LEZ/ULEZ etc. charges but it seems unlikely to me that savings would cover the higher depreciation of a new car.  Of course if it is becoming expensive to maintain or you just really, really want a new car ... 😉 

• Like 1

Have a test drive, see if you like the car and how it feels. The reviews can’t answer those questions.
When I was thinking about my first hybrid, I had a test drive and drove it as I drove my own car, that was the deal clincher.

If you have lead feet then a hybrid won’t give you the kind of mpg that you have read about. They require a light touch, whether you are on the motorway or city centre roads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Azmina said:

Hi 

I am new so apologies if I make any silly mistakes.  I currently drive a Fiesta Titanium X and am looking to get the Excel as its the only one that has similar features of the Titanium.  I am having trouble deciding whether it will give me any real savings on the mpg.  My titanium currently averages out at 40 mpg every two weeks on a full tank which costs me around £40. I have heard countless number of people say I would need to drive it less than 30 mph to get any real savings, but this isn't practical on my commute.  

Can anyone please tell me what your real mpg is on the Excel or the Icon Tech (another model I am considering) and how long an average tank costs and lasts?

I have also read reviews where they say it's not a very exciting car to drive compared to the Fiesta.  I don't get over excited while going to work but I just need to know what they mean by this. 

Thank you in advance 🙂

Hi there, I have had my Yaris Icon Tech Hybrid for just a couple of weeks which is why I have just signed up to this forum.

I do 30 miles a day commute to Manchester. First 5 miles is urban A-road. 20 miles is motorway, last 5 miles is rat run to the office.

I try to stick to the speed limit ;-) but with both a sat-nav and windscreen cameras that show the road signage on the dash, it is all too easy to get pushed along with the rest of the traffic :-(

On-board computer says I am averaging 56 miles to the gallon, which for a full tank of green star current cost me £35 

There is quite a bit of analytical data you can display, that tells you your fuel consumption for each section of the journey, an being a Hybrid I do benefit from the Battery power.

Getting 56 is not quite the 72 quoted in the brochure, but then the roads I drive are not the ideal for optimum economy.

Hope this helps.

Hi there, I have had my Yaris Icon Tech Hybrid for just a couple of weeks which is why I have just signed up to this forum.
I do 30 miles a day commute to Manchester. First 5 miles is urban A-road. 20 miles is motorway, last 5 miles is rat run to the office.
I try to stick to the speed limit ;-) but with both a sat-nav and windscreen cameras that show the road signage on the dash, it is all too easy to get pushed along with the rest of the traffic :-(
On-board computer says I am averaging 56 miles to the gallon, which for a full tank of green star current cost me £35 
There is quite a bit of analytical data you can display, that tells you your fuel consumption for each section of the journey, an being a Hybrid I do benefit from the battery power.
Getting 56 is not quite the 72 quoted in the brochure, but then the roads I drive are not the ideal for optimum economy.
Hope this helps.

The quoted figures are for the ideal circumstances. I sometimes use the hybrid assistant android app coupled with a bluetooth obd device.
I often compare the same routes, to judge the differences between my driving and other factors that I cannot control (traffic and weather / lights on or off).

I can say, things are improving now the temperature is getting warmer and I have stopped being lazy and using cruise control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Smelter said:

but the 56mpg fits in pretty well with the figures from HonestJohn's Real MPG database.

The brochure figures are the only ones that they are legally allowed to advertise & were set under very specific conditions - if you can exactly replicate those conditions then you will get those results but they don't really reflect real world usage which is why the old NEDC tests have now been replaced by a new WLT test & a new set of figures (still not a perfect reflection of the real world but better).

It's also worth mentioning that the non-hybrid 1.5 automatic Yaris still returns very high mpg too & are cheaper to buy by ~ £1400  (that's about 268 gallons of petrol at £1.15/l) .

My 1.5 Icon Tech Manual petrol gave me 46 MPG on short 8 mile round trips with couple of hills to work and back and the odd long run out. My Yaris GR Sport Hybrid Auto is giving me the same at the moment but has only done 700 miles and weather cold, Toyota Aygo 1ltr Manual was the best at around 52-55 mpg. 

MPG up to nearly 52 now 😁 on the Yaris GR 1.5 auto guess after running the engine in a bit and the weather that bit warmer. 

Went down to the NEC the other day from Morecambe and I wasn't hanging about. I averaged mid 60s on the hole trip. The overall average is a tad over 50 mpg.

Thanks everyone for their input. I am unable to test drive the car as I am a disabled driver and I am getting the car on a motability scheme.  None of the dealer have a car which has event the basic controls which would allow me to test drive the car.  I have now ordered the Icon Tech mainly because it comes with the reversing sensors as standard.

On the ford I have key less entry as standard.  On Yaris, I would have had to get the Excel model which has a down payment, then pay for the sensors and key less entry as separate components, adding £800 to my bill. And all this without even test diving the car.  

I just hope the driving experience isn't too different from the Ford. 

On 3/11/2019 at 12:38 PM, Azmina said:

I just hope the driving experience isn't too different from the Ford. 

We swapped a 1.0 Fiesta Ecoboost last year due to the engine problems associated with them.  My wife loved the Fiesta but we couldn't run the risk of the engine failing.  We bought a Yaris Excel which is a very nice car but the driving experience is nothing like the Fiesta and neither is the interior trim but we have good reliable car with a long warranty.  It does return better fuel consumption than the Fiesta (around 50mpg compared with 35 to 40 for the Fiesta)

On 3/1/2019 at 9:13 PM, Azmina said:

Hi Heidi, 

Thanks.  My work commute is mainly urban, around 12 miles each way and the usual weekend runaround in town.  I have had the fiesta close to 5 years and its just about to reach 27000 miles on the clock.  

With 24 mile round trip daily, plus weekend use, have you thought of getting an all electric vehicle? Ie 

55 minutes ago, Catlover said:

With 24 mile round trip daily, plus weekend use, have you thought of getting an all electric vehicle?

We'd love one, but the cost to buy is too expensive compared to a ICE car.  Renault do a Zoe reasonably priced, but you have to rent the Battery to buy one reasonably priced , but the minimum rental cost is more than the cost of petrol for a "normal" car let alone an economical one like our Yaris Hybrid.

Unless the price of buying and running an EV comes right down, there's no incentive.

Mick.