Do Not Sell My Personal Information

could water pump failure be covered under warranty?

Clownparade

My car's just been in for an MOT at a dealership and they've found 'light crusting' from water pump; which I understand to mean that it's on its way out (correct me if I'm wrong). 

They've told me to just keep an eye on it for now and let them know if I notice any leaking/ further crusting. Car's only done 20,000 miles and is within 5 year warranty.

They've quoted £280 for a new pump + fitting in case I need one 😧 should this not be covered under warranty if it happened only in 20,000 miles?  Also, if it should be covered under warranty, would it be reasonable of me to ask them to fix it now rather than wait for it to potentially fail whilst I'm on the road and cause more issues?  

I would be inclined to go back to them, and query replacement under warranty sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

sounds like it may have a slight weep rather than it is about to fail. I had a weeping water pump on an Avensis 2.2 D4D replaced under warranty (actually slightly out of warranty).

I imagine that they will have to forward a request to Toyota for authorisation & whether that is OK'ed may depend upon how bad the weep is.

• Like 1

i'm sure the water pump will be covered under warranty, like others have said get it looked

at sooner rather than later, the original mk1 aygo had their water pumps warranty

extended to 5 years as there where issues with them so i cant see why the mk2 aygo

would have a shorter warranty.

since there is a weep then something has started to fail and this should be covered

you shouldn't have to wait for total failure before something is done for you.

get back to your dealer.

• Like 1

Hi,

Your garage should not have made you a quotation or told you 'to keep an eye on it'.

On my mk1 Aygo, the water pump started to leak very early. One day, I brought my car for regular servicing and I was asked to schedule a day rapidly to have the water pump changed. It was replaced under warranty.

Your situation is usual with car dealerships. As long as the car is under warranty, there is nothing to worry about, it can wait. And as soon as the warranty has expired, everything needs replacing urgently 😄

• Like 3

21 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I would be inclined to go back to them, and query replacement under warranty sooner rather than later.

20 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

sounds like it may have a slight weep rather than it is about to fail. I had a weeping water pump on an Avensis 2.2 D4D replaced under warranty (actually slightly out of warranty).

I imagine that they will have to forward a request to Toyota for authorisation & whether that is OK'ed may depend upon how bad the weep is.

12 hours ago, eygo said:

i'm sure the water pump will be covered under warranty, like others have said get it looked

at sooner rather than later, the original mk1 aygo had their water pumps warranty

extended to 5 years as there where issues with them so i cant see why the mk2 aygo

would have a shorter warranty.

since there is a weep then something has started to fail and this should be covered

you shouldn't have to wait for total failure before something is done for you.

get back to your dealer.

11 hours ago, zuh said:

Hi,

Your garage should not have made you a quotation or told you 'to keep an eye on it'.

On my mk1 Aygo, the water pump started to leak very early. One day, I brought my car for regular servicing and I was asked to schedule a day rapidly to have the water pump changed. It was replaced under warranty.

Your situation is usual with car dealerships. As long as the car is under warranty, there is nothing to worry about, it can wait. And as soon as the warranty has expired, everything needs replacing urgently 😄

Thank you all for your thoughts, experience shared and advice!  I was initially unsure about taking it further but I'll definitely call them back tomorrow to see if they're willing to do anything about it. 

If they refuse to do a repair under warranty at this stage and you were in my position, would you pay for the repairs out of your own pocket to get it fixed asap and avoid any ensuing consequences of it failing? Or would you stick with their advice on the premise that if it does actually fail, they would likely cover the cost of the repairs (but you would have to deal the consequences of the pump failing/ overheating engine during a commute/ road trip?)  

dont pay for it , the car is under warranty if it fails and damages the engine

its your dealers problem as the engine damage would be a consequence

of the pump failing ,you've mentioned it  you cant be monitoring it all the time.

when we had our 09 plate aygo it went in for the water leaking rear lights

and they noticed the water pump had a slight weep and they just changed

it , the first we knew was when we collected it  all under warranty .

our dealership is Johnsons toyota Wallasey and overall they are great.

1 hour ago, Clownparade said:

Thank you all for your thoughts, experience shared and advice!  I was initially unsure about taking it further but I'll definitely call them back tomorrow to see if they're willing to do anything about it. 

If they refuse to do a repair under warranty at this stage and you were in my position, would you pay for the repairs out of your own pocket to get it fixed asap and avoid any ensuing consequences of it failing? Or would you stick with their advice on the premise that if it does actually fail, they would likely cover the cost of the repairs (but you would have to deal the consequences of the pump failing/ overheating engine during a commute/ road trip?)  

I would not pay for it myself. If they aren't prepared to run it by Toyota at this stage I would do as they advised & keep an eye on it (more specifically keep an eye on the coolant level, you can be pretty certain that the pump itself won't fail unless you let the system run dry).

However, I would make sure that they register a note of it so that they can never say that it happened out of warranty.

No don't pay for it yourself.

I would e-mail the dealer to say you're unhappy about the leaking water pump, the implication you would be charged for something that should be covered under the warranty, and ask for some indication of when the water pump should be replaced under warranty.

If the reply isn't satisfactory, contact Toyota customer services to get their view, and ask for confirmation that as the issue has been identified when the car is still within the new car warranty, should it fail after the new car warranty has expired, that a warranty repair will still be undertaken at no cost to the customer.