Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement petrol for diesel engine

Jessie1994

Hope you can help.  Can’t find a diesel replacement engine for my 1994 3L 2.8 litre engine anywhere. Anyone know what a suitable replacement engine, diesel or petrol, from Toyota or another manufacturer would fit? Mine’s the cab over engine type, so the Hilux 3L is too tall. 

Thanks

Hiace stuff is not exactly thick on the ground in the UK..even more so given the vintage of your vehicle.

Granvia model engine might be worth a look..IF you can find one.

I assume your engine is totally irrepairable.?

Thanks for the reply!  My local mechanic says it’s not a good idea to rebuild an engine that’s already been heat-seized, but I don’t understand the logic. If it’s totally reconditioned - regroups crank, new bores, pistons, etc. then why not rebuild it? It has a reconditioned cylinder head and new gasket and it had done around 700 miles before it seized after the head was fitted although it does turn over once it had cooled down. I checked water level the previous day and it was ok.  Mechanic says that the engine had no water when he checked it out the next day. 

A new new engine from Toyota is £3250!  Rebuild seems to be around £1000. What do you think?  The body and interior is in good, original condition, with a couple of rust marks and had full MOT before the seize. 

Hard to say.....he may be right and I'm certainly not qualified to say without seeing/knowing the damage.

Maybe it's worth a second opinion.?..and if that comes up with the same answer then your choice is narrowed.

• 4 weeks later...

Your Hiace (H100 series) in your model year were available in other engine formats.  Provided it is a Jap import, alternative engine choices were:
1KZ-TE Diesel turbo 3 litre auto/manu gear
1RZ-E Petrol 2 litre auto/manu gear
2RZ-E Petrol 2.4 litre auto only

Now, the 1KZ-TE units were available in the UK mostly seen on Land Cruiser Colorado range, however other two petrol ones are very rare, to my knowledge, the 2.4 litre was never imported.

The so called 'Hiace Power van', the early ones in the UK also came with 2.7 litre petrol 3RZ-E unit.  This maybe an option for you if you could find one.  However, you will need to have the unit couple with the gearbox for ease of transfer and will also need to do your own research on whether it will fit size wise.

Alternatively, you may be able to fit a slightly smaller engine of the same family as the one you have, the 2L-TE diesel 2.4 litre engine which was available on the Hilux range.

Another option is to source a second hand engine from Japan from these people.
https://kaihosangyo.jp/english/
They may not be the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links