Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

More faults!

thomjones

Hi guys, my T25 1.8 TR has developed (another) fault...after a new clutch, flywheel, discs, pads, rear wheel bearings, gearbox service, 3 tyres, new exhaust heat shield, new exhaust system and major service it now makes a rattling/grinding when turning right at low speed...any ideas before I drive it into a field and set it on fire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me; whats is the mileage : Typically they start to go at around 180,000 miles.

Ian

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me; whats is the mileage : Typically they start to go at around 180,000 miles.
Ian

Its done 115k

Have you checked the condition of discs and brake pads ? That's another possible suspect area.

Yeah they’re fine

The other issues with flywheel, clutch and gearbox are not consistent with such a low mileage, do you think the car might have been clocked at some point in its life ?

Is 115 thousand miles regarded as low mileage? Replacement clutch at this mileage is acceptable nothing unusual there. Flywheel may have been changed as an over cautious measure by the garage, The gearbox service may just have been an oil change. 

It does sound like a front wheel bearing. You could jack up the front wheels and check for any significant free play and rotate the wheels by hand and check for any roughness. 

• Like 1

I had zero problems with my Avensis until it was passed on to my son, Its now done about 205000. NSF wheel bearing went at about 170000. Clutch/flywheel at 185000.  Both front springs at 190000.  Engine is a 2.0D4D and so far is OK. So yeah to me 115K seems low mileage for a T25 Avensis.

I had zero problems with my Avensis until it was passed on to my son, Its now done about 205000. NSF wheel bearing went at about 170000. Clutch/flywheel at 185000.  Both front springs at 190000.  Engine is a 2.0D4D and so far is OK. So yeah to me 115K seems low mileage for a T25 Avensis.

This is my 3rd t25 and 4th Toyota (the other being a TS190 Celica which was amazing) and none of them have been a problem until this one...think it needs to go

4 minutes ago, ighaig said:

For a car that's 10 years old 115k miles could be considered average miles for year. It's not unreasonable that at this point it will require items such as wheel bearings. If your car hasn't needed these parts until higher mileage then that's fortunate to have lasted so well. The history of the car and driver(s) has an impact on when and what needs replaced. 

I agree it depends on how the car is used and how its looked after but I think he has been a bit unlucky. The decision about whether to sell it would for me depend on what I could find to replace it, sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, update...it makes the grinding all the time up to about 40 or under acceleration load. It sounds liked a brake pad rubbing on a disk from the outside but doesn’t from inside if you get me?

• 1 month later...

I've seen clutches go on newish cars but sorry not sure on noise does sound like wheel bearing but you need to jack it up and feel for play and maybe roughness

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links