Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Change Tool

TIBO

I have just purchased a 2011 Auris 1.6 Petrol.

Can anyone please assist me with where I can obtain an oil filter removal tool. I have one for my 2015 Rav 4 and thought it would fit the Auris but it is too large. I have looked on e-bay but they all seem to be the size I already have. Thanks.

There were few similar topic with people posting pictures, and some links to eBay for correct tools, so it would be best to check those first.

Thanks, I completed a search and checked some out but they are all similar to what I already have. The filter cap on the Auris is smaller and the 64.5mm tool is too big.

Not seen the Auris oil filter, but would one of these fit, use this type myself.

001478.jpg

Not sure, I know the plastic cap to the filter is smaller than my Rav 4 as I tried 64.5mm tool on it when I had the Auris on the ramp and it was too large. I guess I should have measured the cap whilst I had the Auris up on the ramp but I didn't. I was hoping someone on the forum would know what size the tool was and where I could purchase one. I don't have access to the ramp on a regular basis so I will need to wait for the next opportunity to be able to measure the cap.

As far as i am aware toyota uses 2 types of oil filters, the old metallic type that is 73mm x 14 flutes and the new plastic/metallic housing element type that is 64.5mm x 14 flutes.

is it definitely a toyota filter?

The tool them guys are using in the videos is the 64.5mm x 14 flutes for the toyota oil filter housings.

Measure your rav4 tool across the flats and see if it’s anywhere near 64.5mm

Since you have the 1.6 Valvematic engine, which is smaller version of my 1.8 Avensis engine, you need the following -  

I also have the filter removal tool oldcodger mentioned, but it is not suitable.

PS  Don't skimp on the oil and use 0w20 grade. I am currently using Petronas Syntium 7000 0w20 from - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Petronas-Syntium-7000-SAE-0W20-5L-Litres-Car-Engine-Oil-5-Litre-Fully-Synthetic/351816994373?hash=item51e9ed4e45:g:4tkAAOSww5pbVnml

The oil filter tools difference is in the outer diameter and Draper tool for example doesn’t fit into Auris and Prius but fit in Rav 4, bigger gap between oil filter housing and oil sump. If you are buying just get one of those that has smaller outer diameter exactly the ones from the pictures and you will be fine. That is the correct size and fit most Japanese cars including metal filters too. Just don’t buy Draper one. eBay or Amazon sells a lot of them. 

Regards 

6 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

The oil filter tools difference is in the outer diameter and Draper tool for example doesn’t fit into Auris and Prius but fit in Rav 4, bigger gap between oil filter housing and oil sump. If you are buying just get one of those that has smaller outer diameter exactly the ones from the pictures and you will be fine. That is the correct size and fit most Japanese cars including metal filters too. Just don’t buy Draper one. Ebay or Amazon sells a lot of them. 

Regards 

Them tools have sizes, what size tool are you suggesting to get? The one in your last post looks to be the 64.5mm which apparently the OP tried and is too big.

Hi yes, different manufacturers has made them in different sizes in outside diameter, this Draper tool despite its advertised to fit Prius and Auris Hybrid DOES NOT  fit at all, outer diameter is around 89mm

Draper 22490 Oil Filter Replacement Tool https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008RXS7FM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_MbNHCb4EZYQMR

And this one fit perfectly: 

HugeAuto 36mm Oil Filter Removal Cap Wrench Socket Spanner Remover Tool for Universal Car-Toyota Prius Corolla Rav4 Lexus(Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PDYKFG3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_XgNHCbCARRRRW

The difference is that the Draper one has a lip around that prevents mounting into the filter housing due to the smaller gap between the oil sump and filter otherwise they are same size inside. I know that from personal experience,,bought Draper originally than I had to buy another one , when compared there is an obvious difference in outside diameter, 89mm against 81mm ,if I remember correctly, but  enough to make it useless. 

Cheers 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a 2010 2.0 D-4D Auris and i just bought the geuine oil filter tool from my local Toyota dealer in Denmark. 

I paid 225 DKK that's about 27,5 £ 

• Like 1

You're brave, I am too scared to go under my car for oil changes in case it falls on top of me and I get crushed. I just pay £10-15 to the Indy, I call it hazard pay.

No need to be scared - ramps or properly supported on stands!

Although it is easier to raise the car up, there is enough room for me to change the oil + filter on my Avensis without raising it.

8 hours ago, Stivino said:

Although it is easier to raise the car up, there is enough room for me to change the oil + filter on my Avensis without raising it.

^^^ wow, I lay flat on the kerb and couldn't see the filter or sump.

8 hours ago, mrpj said:

No need to be scared - ramps or properly supported on stands!

still scary, read too many horror stories.

15 hours ago, ziauris said:

still scary, read too many horror stories.

Probably where someone has relied solely on a jack to support the vehicle.

It's not even necessary to drive all the way up ramps for access to the filter and/or drain plug. If a vehicle falls off ramps then there is something being done seriously wrong!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mrpj said:

Probably where someone has relied solely on a jack to support the vehicle.

It's not even necessary to drive all the way up ramps for access to the filter and/or drain plug. If a vehicle falls off ramps then there is something being done seriously wrong!

Exactly, the whole point of any diy job done on a car is because of the fun factor and the job to be done correctly, but if anyone not sure what they are doing better leave it to someone else. 👍

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 3/11/2019 at 2:39 PM, TonyHSD said:

...And this one fit perfectly: 

HugeAuto 36mm Oil Filter Removal Cap Wrench Socket Spanner Remover Tool for Universal Car-Toyota Prius Corolla Rav4 Lexus(Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PDYKFG3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_XgNHCbCARRRRW

Sorry to drag this up but do you know if this would fit my 1ZR-FE 1.6 mk1's cap? Just ordered my oil and filters before realising I'd need a too to remove the cap. I'm guessing a chain wrench is a no-no for these 🙂

2 hours ago, MrZardoz said:

Sorry to drag this up but do you know if this would fit my 1ZR-FE 1.6 mk1's cap? Just ordered my oil and filters before realising I'd need a too to remove the cap. I'm guessing a chain wrench is a no-no for these 🙂

Hi, if your car has the oil filter cartridge like the one shown on the pictures above yes, should fit fine, it’s exactly what you need. This tool also works on non cartridges metal oil filters for some Japanese cars like Mitsubishi Lancer for example. 

• Like 2

Thanks Tony, I've ordered one now.

I'll offer it up to the filter cover before I drain the oil just to be sure 😄

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 4:52 PM, MrZardoz said:

I'll offer it up to the filter cover before I drain the oil just to be sure 😄

Did exactly that, made sure I could loosen filter first, wasn't too bad, just awkward place, got a stiff neck this morning 🙂

Got mine from eBay, its quite tight, tends to get stuck, doesn't make it all the way to the notches bit the catches on the hexagonal part. I could shave a little off but I think with use it will eventually scrape of the coating inside and fit properly.

Change oil to 0w20.

The one I ordered was perfect. Only trouble was I ordered a replacement paper element filter... when I needed a canister type filter. Doh! All done now though, 0w20 oil, new air* and cabin filter.

*got a Bosch filter but won’t next time, the rubber edging made it a difficult fit. I’ll get a Denso paper filter next time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links