Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking brake fault - not releasing. Might be self inflicted.

Konrad C

This morning my EPB (parking brake) threw a wobbly, but it may have been self inflicted. When I went to move off, the parking brake light went out as normal, but the car would not budge. I quickly pressed the button then pull, but no response. I turned off the engine and restarted it. The EPB then released! 
I got to my mums, and tried to apply the EPB. It started to apply making a sound like the cable being stretched, then released. The car started rolling off the drive so I press the brakes. I reversed back onto the drive and left the car in reverse. There were no warnings or cautions displayed!
I went home a few later, and when I parked on my own drive and applied the EPB, it worked as normal. :confused1:
I got my netbook out and ran Techstream. No faults were stored. I then ran some tests within Techstream and everything was fine. I checked the cautions and warnings too, and they worked. Auto release works fine too. I have to assume there was a glitch in the software.

I will have to get under the car to check all the connections at some point. Guess it one of those things with having so much electronics. 

Update.
The EPB has performed faultlessly since the hiccup. I think I rushed the system a bit, when the fault happened. Then it recovered later.
I have the manual version, and have a habit using the EPB when stationary for long periods (even shutting off the engine). People behind will appreciate not having bright brake lights, shining in their face.
Now I will hold the car on the brakes, unless on incline when hill start is needed. Sometimes I wish I had the auto version.

Glad your EPB seems to be ok now.

In this week's Honest John agony column a respondent tells the story of the EPB on his Discovery jamming, and not for the first time.  The AA were called out and seems they removed a fuse and used the jack handle to release it! What they hit, if they did, is not recorded but he still seems to use the same approach now whenever it jams!

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/honest-johns-motoring-agony-column/2019-03/honest-johns-motoring-agony-column-09-03-2019-part-1/

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 8:05 PM, Mr Wolf said:

Glad your EPB seems to be ok now.

In this week's Honest John agony column a respondent tells the story of the EPB on his Discovery jamming, and not for the first time.  The AA were called out and seems they removed a fuse and used the jack handle to release it! What they hit, if they did, is not recorded but he still seems to use the same approach now whenever it jams!

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/honest-johns-motoring-agony-column/2019-03/honest-johns-motoring-agony-column-09-03-2019-part-1/

The Land Rover Discovery is stuck on, and there is system similar to the Avensis to wind it off. With my Avensis, turning off the car then back on seems to do the trick. My car has only done it 3 times during my 3 years of ownership.