Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do I need beam converter for driving in Europe

Doris

Hi, I'm new to this forum and am looking forward to all your wealth of information. I bought a new Toyota Auris Excel Hybrid last year. Am very happy with it but I am a bit stumped about beam converters. I am driving to Germany in three weeks time and am not sure what to do. Some say yes to stick on converters, some say it's not necessary. Any ideas? Thanks for anyone taking pitty on me 😉

Hi Doris, although it's a few years since I've driven abroad, when I did I needed beam converters I would assume you would need them. Different countries have different laws as to what they expect drivers to carry. Such as high viz vests first aid kit spare glasses if you wear them. Ideally you need to look into what you must carry for each country you'll be driving through.

You shouldn't need them on a new Prius with LEDs - it's an up/down dip rather than to the side.

2 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

You shouldn't need them on a new Prius with LEDs - it's an up/down dip rather than to the side.

I stand corrected. 

for some reason I was thinking that the OP had a Prius ... 😖 Just noticed it's an Auris.

If it has LED headlights then my previous advice should still stand, if it is HIR2s then it uses a shutter mechanism in front of the bulb for dip/high beam & I am not sure if that requires deflectors.  This suggests not https://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-toyota-auris-your-questions-answered/comment-page-1#comment-1066203

I had the same question last year, my Auris had LED headlights and appeared to have a ‘flat’ dip. I did buy a pair of deflectors, but didn’t fit them, despite the instructions saying how to. I drove from Calais to Germany in heavy rain with my lights on and didn’t get flashed.

i thought with having flat beams you didn't need the beam convertors