Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MMT Clutch Slipping

whunt188852

Hi

So I have a 2nd Gen Aygo X Shift with the MMT autobox. Its a 64 plate so warranty runs out in a few months, Anyway for a few weeks now (maybe a 6-8 weeks) the clutch seems to be slipping, You put it into gear (either v E or manual shift on the gear stick) and after about 3500rpm the car revs then it catches up with itself. Car has 42k on the clock and the problem started maybe 2k ago. Switching between N / E / R and Manual seems fine, The UP paddle behind the steering wheel does not work but that has not worked for longer than the clutch slip issue.

Took it to Toyota main dealer, The test driver said he was 90% its a worn clutch. They plugged it in and it showed no other diagnostic errors however Toyota have said that its still possible that its actually the ECU and/or the Actuator as well as or instead of the clutch. Toyota have said none of it is covered under warranty which to me seems b***ocks because a ECU is not (in my mind) a wear and tear item, its not mechanical and its not subject to degradation due to car usage. I can maybe understand why the clutch is not under warranty - Wear for a clutch is down to how you use it but the other stuff should have no bearing on who drives the car.

Anyway if its a ECU and Actuator then that is £900 (in addition the cost of the clutch).

Any thoughts ? Surely the Actuator and ECU are covered under the 5 year warranty ?

I know the MK1 Aygo had all sorts of issues with actuators etc but I cannot find much evidence for the above issue for the MK2 

Ta.

1 hour ago, whunt188852 said:

Took it to Toyota main dealer, The test driver said he was 90% its a worn clutch. They plugged it in and it showed no other diagnostic errors however Toyota have said that its still possible that its actually the ECU and/or the Actuator as well as or instead of the clutch. Toyota have said none of it is covered under warranty which to me seems b***ocks because a ECU is not (in my mind) a wear and tear item, its not mechanical and its not subject to degradation due to car usage. I can maybe understand why the clutch is not under warranty - Wear for a clutch is down to how you use it but the other stuff should have no bearing on who drives the car.

Anyway if its a ECU and Actuator then that is £900 (in addition the cost of the clutch).

Any thoughts ? Surely the Actuator and ECU are covered under the 5 year warranty ?

Hi William, welcome to TOC. 🙂

Youn need to differentiate in your post between the Toyota dealer & Toyota GB as the UK importer/manufacturer. Which said none of it was covered under warranty? Did the dealer check with Toyota GB?

If you are unhappy you can always take it up with Toyota GB's cs yourself. 

Please take up the matter with Toyota GB. Don't waste your time with the dealer, if he does not want to help you. I have succeeded in at least solving my problem twice before (in two different toyota cars) when the dealer refused to act. Took it up with Toyota Sweden and they were very helpful. They care about their reputation. The dealer only thinks about the profit.

By the way I had even a worse problem with my Aygo MMT where the clutch not only slipped but the car got stuck in the middle of the road. They had to change the actuator finally. The car was under extended guarantee.

Thanks , I will raise the issue with Toyota GB and report back.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links