Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rocker cover gasket tsport

cipprio

Im looking at changing the rocker cover gasket this weekend on my tsport and just wondered do i need any extra gasket sealant anywhere to go with the new gasket. Also is the torque of the rocker bolts 8 ft/lb correct.

I think the gaskets are just a rubber type of job that doesn't require any sort of selant, as the gasket tends to be round and not flat so fits in to the groves on the rocker cover and engine block. But I'm basing this off of my E11 Corolla, but I wouldn't imagine it'd be wildly different.

Got to do mine soon as there was traces of oil in one of the spark plug holes.

In the Haynes manual it states 7 ft/lbs for the cover bolt on the 1.4/1.6 petrol, though thats hard to measure without a good low value torque wrench, think it really means do them all up evenly  and gingerly  so you do not warp anything.

It also says " apply sealant where the cover Abuts (?) the cylinder head"  though fails to give any picture of where that means exactly.

Found this pic that shows it , though without seeing the area is hard to see why its needed, but clearly must be.

001494.jpg

11 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

IIt also says " apply sealant where the cover Abuts (?) the cylinder head"  though fails to give any picture of where that means exactly.

Found this pic that shows it , though without seeing the area is hard to see why its needed, but clearly must be.

001494.jpg

I think what this really means is that it may be necessary to apply a drop of sealant where the new rocker cover gasket crosses the bead of existing sealant between the timing chain cover and the engine block. 

12 hours ago, mickburkesnr said:

I think the gaskets are just a rubber type of job that doesn't require any sort of selant, as the gasket tends to be round and not flat so fits in to the groves on the rocker cover and engine block. But I'm basing this off of my E11 Corolla, but I wouldn't imagine it'd be wildly different.

You are correct it is a rubber gasket and ive checked with mechanic friend and he has advised that it does not require any extra sealant just even torquing on the cover at 12nm. Thanks everyone  for your advice and quick replies. 

• Like 1

Can I  ask if you  bought your gasket from Mr,T and how much or from elsewhere ?  - needing one soon myself.

On 3/14/2019 at 9:34 AM, oldcodger said:

Can I  ask if you  bought your gasket from Mr,T and how much or from elsewhere ?  - needing one soon myself.

I got mine from Mr.T and I think it only cost something like £20. Wasn't big money really.

• Thanks 1