Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Low mpg

Aaronbratt

Sorry to keep asking questions but I’m new to toyotas I recently got a 63 plate 1.6 sports but I’m getting low mpg 27.5 on average is there anyway to improve this or what would be causing this

Is this figure from the car's computer or from a brim-to-brim calculation? What type of driving environment - urban, heavy traffic, rural, motorway, mixed motorway/A roads, etc?

The cars computer and mainly urban how do I measure brim to brim?

Even my 05 Astra gave me better mpg @ 31-34 

All depends driving needs too, if you are driving mostly very short trips like two miles a day this mpg it’s even excellent. Have you done all service, checks, filters changes, tyre pressures? It’s a winter time and this will affect the fuel consumption too. Brim to brim it’s the only real measure to do. You can google it , it’s very simple, just you need to fill up the tank , drive the car for few days or at least 200 miles than fill up again preferably at the same garage and pump. Check what quantity fuel had been used and do your math. Trip computers are not that accurate. 

Give it a proper high-speed run so as to burn off all the carbon and other crud that's clogging up your engine. A diet of low-speed urban traffic will do that sort of thing to any car.

70 miles up the motorway at 75mph, and 70 miles back at the same speed ought to be enough. (Keep it down to fifth or even fourth gear if you can't go that fast.) An Italian tune-up like this will also do wonders for your emissions in the MOT test. :cool: But obviously, do make sure that water, oil and tyre pressures are all OK before you set out on your carbon-busting run.

Returning to your point, I have a 64 reg Touring Sport 1.6, about 60K on the clock, and my normal mpg varies between 38 and 44. (More in summer, less in winter.) If it's doing city stop-starts, it might only manage 33 mpg. But the Italian tune-up will always add 3-4 mpg, sometimes more. On long journeys in France, the car might average 46 mpg.

That isn't very good in comparison with more modern engines, which is why Toyota have stopped making it now - but the 1.6 is a simple old charmer - no turbo, no gimmicky electronic tricks, just an honest to goodness lump that will still be running when all the 1.2 turbos have whizzed their little bearings off and left their owners at the mercy of their dealers. You also have better rear suspension than most other models in the range, and it'll have improved the ride more than somewhat. Nice reliable car, enjoy it. :laugh:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links