Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

GPS Week Number Rollover

spospe

I have a 2015 Aygo with the X-Nav sat-nav system fitted. Does anyone know if this system needs updating for the "GPS Week Number Rollover" event on the 6th April 2019?

Presumably this update will affect all sat-nav systems fitted to all cars? But I can only find info for stand-alone Tom-Tom devices, so am unsure what is to happen to the X-Nav.

As far as I'm aware this may affect older equipment, but would have thought a four year old system should be able to cope with the rollover.

Frosty, I would hope so too, but does anyone know for sure?

What’s this rollover all about. Not heard about it.

The GPS system incorporates a week counter and has the ability to transmit date and time to receivers. The week counter operates using a range of 0-1024 weeks, and, when it reaches 1024, then resets to 0. The reset occurs every 19.7 years, last occurred in 1999, and is due to occur again on 6th April 2019. It is thought the reset may affect older GPS systems.

Remember Y2K? - which proved to be a non-event.

22 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Remember Y2K? - which proved to be a non-event.

That's one point of view.

It was a non event in that little if any systems actually went wrong when the century changed, but  the very many companies that spent millions checking all their systems and making corrections where necessary might take a different view.

I worked in the IT departments of several large UK companies in the 80s & 90s and compared notes with opposite numbers in many other companies and saw for myself just how much effort went into this.

I also had a device where I discovered a problem myself in 1995 that caused Casio to start taking the issue seriously.  I had a "Casio Digital Diary" that synced with software on a PC and I noticed that when syncing all diary entries assumed the century the PC was in on both platforms, so after syncing any future entries for 2000 onwards had 100 subtracted from the year.  When I tested it with the PC set for a date after 2000, all 1900-1999 entries had 100 added to their year.  When I first raised it with Casio's tech support, their response was disbelief, but once I sent documented evidence they seemed rather rattled.  They eventually sent me a fixed version of the sync software (on a floppy disk!) to test for them, which they subsequently sent out to registered users.  Not a major issue, but demonstrates the point.

I have asked my local Toyota dealer (RRG Stockport) for their advice, but as might be expected they were totally unaware of the potential problem. I will write to Toyota and share their reply with everyone here on my return in a couple of weeks.

I have had an intermediate reply from Toyota to say that they have passed my query on to their multimedia team and that they will contact me direct. So we will wait to hear.

• Like 1

I suspect Toyota won't know. It's a  Pioneer system anyway. They will probably Google it like I  did.

From a credible source in the GPS  industry....

"Because this it is the second time the GPS week rollover will occur, many receiver manufacturers have prepared for it, and newer receivers will continue to operate without issue."

Frankly, I wouldn't worry.

I have had a reply from Toyota as follows ......................

"Having checked with our Multimedia team, we are not aware that the GPS Week Number Rollover will affect your vehicle, and we do not believe any action will need to be taken."

So there we are, Toyota say that it is a non-issue for a 15 reg Aygo.

I do wonder about older CD map based models though, such as the original Yaris?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links