Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whine from Auris

PatGlen

Hi I'm new, 😀 I'm wondering if anyone can assist me with a whining problem from my Auris, I'm looking sell the car as I've upgraded to a new Golf R line but have a whining noise coming from the engine. You can barely here it when inside the car but with the hood up, it's very loud!!

This noise is very high pitched and happens on accelerating in gear and revving in Neutral, it kicks in around the 1500rpm mark, also when I turn off the engine the same noise is heard for about 3 or 4 seconds. 

The car is running fine with no issues. The noise has been there for about 6-8 weeks.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Pat

That unfortunately sounds like the turbo on the way out. The big clue is you hearing it spin down after stopping the engine.

Agreed, sadly, it's very likely that the bearings and/or the oil seals on your turbo have gone. If you wind down the driver's door window while passing a brick wall, the chances are that you'll hear the "police siren" wail.

If so, don't ignore the sound for too long. The wailing you hear is the sound of the titanium turbo blades colliding with the edge of the turbo casing, because the bearings are no longer keeping them in line..And if the blades do break up you're looking at a top-end rebuild to get all the metal junk out of your cylinders.

But OK, it's a ten year old car. The Toyota replacement will cost you upwards of £1600 by the time it's fitted; but a remanufactured turbo from a reputable source will be about half that. Your oil feed pipe will probably need to be replaced because it's full of deposits - indeed, that'll be the reason why the turbo has failed in the first place :sad: - and your intercooler may be full of oily junk which will have to be flushed out. (No big deal, but not to be forgotten.)

These guys (https://www.essexturbos.com/) were good to me when my Ford's turbo went. Turbo was £300-odd, and indy garage charged £250 to fit.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies, I'm uploading a video now with the sound, at idle it doesn't come until 3000 rpm, in gear 1500. It's loud!!! 🤣🤣🤣 Especially the high pitched engine turn off!

Oh yeah, don't touch the turbo unless it's good and cold. Those things spin at 150,000 rpm, and they can glow orange-hot even when they're working normally. Nuff said.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know that this issue was the egr valve.

Good to know you have it sorted and it would be a lot cheaper than a replacement turbo. 

On 3/16/2019 at 9:43 AM, Mooly said:

That unfortunately sounds like the turbo on the way out. The big clue is you hearing it spin down after stopping the 

I would have said turbo problem but obviously not if it's fixed