Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 rear end sagging down towards drivers side

kipperwood

Hi everyone, we have a petrol 2006 mk3 xt4 rav4, on which the rear end is leaning down towards the drivers side when looked at from the rear. I have had the rear springs and drop links changed, as I have always believed the springs set the ride height, but it is still sagging. The front end seems to be level, with a similar gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch. All the tyre pressures are the same and no flats. The front spring are the original ones but it has had the front shocks changed the other year. Any suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks 

Sounds like broken spring to me. What's the height difference?

4 hours ago, kipperwood said:

I have had the rear springs and drop links changed

When were the rear springs replaced?

Hi all, the springs were replaced last week and it made no difference at all. The garage even said the rear springs looked ok when they had  removed them. Previously to the swop I had counted the coils to make sure one hadn't broken, I had assumed one had just become weak after 12 years. 

No serious prangs or abuse ( I reversed into the gate post once ooops) we have owned the car for 8 years, since it was 4 years old. 118000 miles @ wifes car, steady driver. 

Just found the pics that I uploaded when I joined the forum, 2011 time flys

On 9/14/2011 at 9:07 PM, kipperwood said:

A few pics of mine before the roof rails were fitted, hope you like. There are some pics with the roof rails on in my other post (XT4 roof rails). Thanks Kipperwood

post-96420-0-47913500-1316030741_thumb.j

post-96420-0-06795800-1316030765_thumb.j

post-96420-0-41626200-1316030800_thumb.j

post-96420-0-68556600-1316030815_thumb.j

It may not be easy, but can you measure the loaded length of each of the rear springs?  A comparison should tell you whether the discrepancy is due to the loaded length (i.e. the spring rates are different/the sides are unevenly loaded) or is due to the body.  If it's the former, swap the springs left to right, and if it's still down on the same side, it must be the weight.

Thanks Ian I will check the actual spring length later today. It was suggested by the garage that sometimes a front spring can actually affect the rear, as the weight shifts to one side. Not sure about this though as when I checked the front, it is level still.  I will check those loaded lenght as well, just incase. No weight is kept in the boot, always empty except when shopping. 

Sometimes, a spring does not seat correctly in the cup, resulting in apparent increase in loaded length.

Latest measurements are,

1. Drivers side rear spring measured from bottom of wishbone, up inside the spring to the top is 195mm

2. The passenger side equivalent is 205mm 

3. Drivers side wheel arch to floor is 74cm compared to 81cm on the passenger side. Making the drivers side approximately 7cm lower

4. Both the front springs measure the same and both wheel arches are 80cm from the floor.

Thanks again for any help

Perhaps one of the front springs is not seated correctly since the shocks were changed.  It's hard to imagine how that could upset the rear without showing some effect at the front, but the extra weight under the bonnet may be relevant.

My money is still on an unseated rear spring.   Should be easy to check by undoing the bottom of the passenger side shock,  jacking up the body on that side until the spring just becomes mobile, and waggling it around to see if you can increase the clearance.

There are "insulators" (seating disks) shown in the parts list as fitting above and beneath the spring - that (or its absence) may be playing a part.

I know what your saying about an un-seated spring but at the very beginning the car was sagging in exactly the same way, which lead me to have the rear springs changed. They were the original ones from new and would not have been un-seated. I dont suppose the insulator could be worn and giving the same symptons with the original and new springs could they. I will have the garage check after my mot at the end of this month, if it's not picked up on it. Cheers

Check the shock absorbers, they have a maximum amount of travel, perhaps one of yours has 10mm more movement than the other?

As already suggested - ensure that the tang of the spring is seated properly in it's recess. Ensure that any rubber insulating shims are fitted to both sides of the car. To check vehicle height: 

- check when the fuel level is low

- check all tyre pressures and check tyres are in matching pairs and that the tread either side of an axle are roughly the same.

- roll the car a short distance to a stop on a flat surface - don't get into the vehicle. Put the vehicle in gear and don't use the handbrake. (the action of getting out of the car or applying brakes can affect how the suspension settles)

- check the distance from the wheel arch to the centre of the hub.

Shock absorbers have resistance in compression and expansion and differences in shock absorber action (eg wear or damage) on each side can affect how the suspension comes to rest.  This can result in height difference either side of the vehicle. To eliminate any differences resulting from twisted suspension mounting bushes - slacken off the retaining bolts and tighten when the car is sitting squarely on it's wheels.

Hi everyone, just a quick update. We took the Rav for its mot today and it passed. The garage did not notice anything wrong, even with the rear end sagging to one side. We had both front tyres replaced with OEM Bridgestone duelers for the mot, again no difference. I think the next step will be to swop the rear shocks as soon as possible. Cheers for the help so far, will keep you posted. 

Before you pay for new shocks, why not just remove the current ones and see if that restores the level.  If it does not, it's not the shocks.