Do Not Sell My Personal Information

iQ Paint Problems

electricroger

Hello all.

I have a white Toyota iQ bought from new in 2009.  I noticed last summer that there were several areas of most panels that were starting to blister and peel.  I took it back to the dealer last September and was told that it was a known problem with this colour and model and that Toyota were respraying the cars and that they had several in process of respray at that moment.  The tech took pictures and made several paint thickness measurements and I was told that he would be making a claim to Toyota.  I heard nothing and in January I went back to find that the tech had had a stroke and the report had not been sent and was lost.  More pics etc, and now I am told that Toyota are stopping all resprays because of the wide variation in cost across the country.  I have spoke to Toyota customer support about ten days ago and they spoke to the dealer, but no action.  I woke up this morning to find huge strips of paint missing and blowing across my garden.  Pics of the car are attached.  Anyone with a similar experience please?  Not a very good advert for Toyota for somebody to be driving around in a car like this.  You'd think they'd get it sorted ASAP!

IMG_0554.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG

Edited by electricroger
Wrong date - sorry

Several members have had their cars resprayed. However, bear in mind this isn't covered by any warranty, the car is ten years old, and any repairs to date have been goodwill from Toyota.

When you spoke to Toyota customer services, what did they actually say to you?

Hi FROSTYBALLS - like the name!

They said they would get back to me and a fewd ays later I had a call from the dealer.  He said he was waiting for Toyota - going around in circles!

So rather than no action, the dealer has got back to you. As they are waiting on Toyota GB, presumably Toyota GB are considering the case. No doubt it would be useful to your case to let the dealer see the latest damage.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a Toytoa iQ 2010 in the same colour and have experienced similar paint flaking problems on the bonnet. I have owned the car for 6 years and know its history as it had only done 3,000 miles when I bought it and it has now covered just 15,000 miles and in that time, I have not had any paintwork repairs done to it. I took it to a local bodyshop who confirmed the paint was factory standard thickness of 80 microns and that there was an adhesion problem between the base and top coat. On close examination, there are no obvious impact marks which would cause it to happen. As the car is getting on for its, 9th birthday now, I didn't think that Toyota UK would be interested, so I've just left it, but it does seem to be getting worse.

Do you think Toyota would entertain such a problem at 9 years old?

IMG_2143.JPG

Toyota have undertaken repairs to white IQ's at around this age. However, you need to arrange to have the car inspected by a Toyota dealer and for them to raise the issue with Toyota GB.  Toyota GB will then decide whether or not they can help in your case. Bear in mind this would be goodwill rather than any warranty.

An independent bodyshop report won't help.

I'm pleased to report a result!

After several conversations with Toyota I was told that their field service engineer had put a hold on my complaint.  Apparently he was concerned that the various body shops that were doing the repairs were getting complacent and overcharging.  The estimate for my partial respray was £3500.  After some badgering at the dealership he agreed to a max of £3000, and the body shop reduced their estimate to the same.

Many thanks to Toyota.  They have gone up considerably in my estimation and are once again on my "approved list" of manufacturers.

Thanks also to you all for your advice and comments.

• Like 1

Mine is ten years old & has gone back to Toyota today for a full respray.  I should point out though that I first reported the problem three years ago.

Well, after some deliberation, I decided to take my white 2010 iQ 3 in to the local Toyota dealership in Builth Wells for its bonnet to be inspected for peeling paintwork. After its inspection by dealer staff, a call was made to their Area Manager, who authorised its repair. I must say, I was very impressed with their goodwill offer to repaint the bonnet and it has reassured me that when it comes to buying another car, it is likely to be another Toyota!

• Like 1

If it’s coming off of the bonnet it will come off of all the other metal panels as well. Have a look around the sills and at the paint behind the rear glass, fuel filler and edges of the door.  Mine started with the bonnet but realised there was a real problem when a gravity fed hose pipe washed off paint around the rear glass.

contact Toyota directly. 

• 4 months later...

I have a 2012 IQ with paint coming of the roof and around the rear window, It has gust done 30,000 miles. Toyota customer relations told me to take it to my local dealer as it was less than 7yrs old and a known problem. T he dealer took photos and said they would send them to body shop in Southamton, i live in Torbay!. After a couple of weeks I phoned Snows In Paignton

and was told it had all been sent to Toyota. I returned from holiday 3 weeks later and phoned them again to see what was happening, I was then told that they had lost the photos and could I take some more. This was supposedly 2 weeks after they had sent them to Toyota?. I sent more photos to the service manager did not here any thing again. Phoned again and did not get anywhere. Later that night 22:16  I received a email from Snows service manager it said sorry for the delay, but your vehicle does not meet the criteria to be covered under Goodwill.

I have asked Toyota UK to explain what the criteria is, as when I phoned them and Snows they both said it would be.

Just to let you know I am not going to let this go and I am trying to prepare a file for social media and also the general media if I do not get some sort of satisfactory answer from them.

Cheers 

Hi.

A friend of mine had this paint problem, pearlescent white, on his IQ, Toyota sorted it out, a total respray, he and I went over every part of the car and we couldn't find one part of overspray, an absolute perfect job, full marks to the paint shop.

Mike.

37 minutes ago, Des Davies said:

I have asked Toyota UK to explain what the criteria is

Presumably it is a white IQ, as that seems to be the only colour affected by poor paint adhesion. You also need to appreciate there is no requirement for Toyota, or any other manufacturer, to share their goodwill criteria. 

15 hours ago, Des Davies said:

Just to let you know I am not going to let this go and I am trying to prepare a file for social media and also the general media if I do not get some sort of satisfactory answer from them.

I think you need to put your efforts into communicating with the dealer and Toyota, the threat of a social media file if you don't get your way will not help you. If it is denied (officially) they will give you a reason as to why 

22 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

If it is denied (officially) they will give you a reason as to why 

.. which they may have already done by stating it doesn't meet their goodwill criteria.

Indeed, but I would expect them to write to the dealer via our internal systems to let them know why, not just "it does not meet the criteria" I would expect to see, too old, no service history, etc etc

Hi, my 2011 pearlescent white IQ has this detaching paint problem on the roof. I've been through the validation process with Toyota and after several months of silence they have said they are prepared to do something if I meet 4 criteria:

• The vehicle must be under 12 years old.
  • The vehicle must have covered under 120,000 miles.
  • The vehicle must have been purchased from a Toyota Centre by the current owner.
  • The vehicle must be serviced and maintained by a Toyota Centre.

I meet all but the fourth one. Is this a dead end or can anyone suggest any further action which might be fruitful? It's clearly a goodwill issue but it does seem to me that paint should not be coming off cars after 7 years (that's when it started) - especially cars of this quality, built by this company.

Has anyone been successful in the courts or through publicity?

5 minutes ago, acousticwilli said:

Has anyone been successful in the courts or through publicity?

Not aware of any forum member who has used either courts or publicity with this issue.

As regards court action, which avenue would one take. Fit for purpose - presumably it has been fit for purpose for seven years.

Servicing by a Toyota centre - Toyota can trace the service history and repairs through their dealer network. Servicing elsewhere doesn't provide them with this. 

Toyota aren't the only manufacturer to take this stance as regards dealer servicing. Mitsubishi also do. BMW did with the timing chain issues on the N47 engines. Etc.

Goodwill works both ways. Owners by having their car serviced within the dealer network, and the manufacturer by offering out-of-warranty assistance with repairs.

• 2 months later...

Hi

I also have a White 2009 IQ that the paintwork has started to peel off - At first I thought it was getting chipped by stones but it is getting worse and I have not even been driving the car.  Does anyone have any email addresses or correspondence addresses i can start a claim to Toyota?

Thanks 

Contact Customer Services - https://www.toyota.co.uk/contact-us/

Bear in mind that if Toyota agree to a repair, due to the age of the car it won't be covered under the paint warranty (3 years from first registration) or corrosion warranty (not corrosion), but will be down to goodwill. Given that it is goodwill, and not warranty, you're not in a position to make a claim - instead you're asking for assistance.

Give as much detail as you can. Toyota will also need the car to be inspected by a Toyota dealer and for the dealer to report back to them.

Goodwill may not cover the full cost of repair, but may be a contribution.

Also see the 4 criteria Accousticwilli outlined in their post of 31st August - not sure whether Toyota will apply these in your instance.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello to all,

recently i bought a used 2011 white IQ and just today a big flake of the paint peeled off the roof.

Tomorrow i will drop by the Toyota center here in Greece to find out what they have to say about this and if they know about the recall that Toyota of USA announced 2 months ago.

It would be really helpful if others like me contact Toyota from UK or other parts of Europe in order to find out if Toyota is planning a recall for respray in our continent too.

I will inform the forum of any info that i find.

Cheers.   

In the UK the recall system is for safety related issues, and flaking paint won't come into scope. The US has different consumer protection to Europe, and what justifies a recall there, doesn't necessarily translate to a recall in Europe.

However, Toyota GB has, over the years, covered the issue for some owners under goodwill.

Hello Mike and thanx for the quick response.

I understand there are differences between the US and European markets regarding consumer protection.Toyota is stating at the letter send to the US customers that it's not a recall but a customer satisfaction program.Maybe they issue this program publicly in the US because of the fuzz that's created there from many owners,but they do it silently in Europe as you said they do in GB. 

I'll test the goodwill of Toyota GR in the upcoming days,although i'm not so confident about the outcome :-) 

• 9 months later...

My partner has a Toyota IQ which was left to him by his mother on her death.  It is a 2009 model.  Initially, neither of us used it routinely as we both had our own cars.  However, the car was not sold as my partner's mother died suddenly and unexpectedly and her belongings had and continue to have sentimental attachment.  The car has been mainly garaged until last September when I started using it as my main car.  The bonnet paint is peeling and is quickly getting worse.  I have spoken to the local Toyota dealer but am told that they stopped doing goodwill resprays in July of this year (2020).  I am puzzled as this seems to me to be a defective goods issue, neither warranty nor goodwill.  The car was originally purchased in good faith and has now developed a flaw in the paintwork.  I do not understand how, on any level, this can be my responsibility and not the manafacturers.  The paint they used is defective.

When new the car would have come with a 3 year/60,000 mile new car warranty and a 3 year paint warranty - both of which covered manufacturing defects.

In the past Toyota GB has covered problems with the pearl white paintwork under goodwill, but in later years I believe that was dependent on the car having a full Toyota service history. 

You can by all means contact Toyota GB to determine whether what the dealer has said is correct in that Toyota GB have stopped providing goodwill for this issue on what is by now an 11 year old car. It is doubtful that any manufacturer will help with issues on a car of this age.