Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

iQ Paint Problems

electricroger

I have a 2013 IQ in the white and the paint is peeling, spoke to the dealer who is looking into this for me, but says Toyota look at your loyalty to the brand, and my last two services were not done by Toyota. Anyone had this problem recently? I know Toyota North America is now sorting this for customers. I do not see how brand loyalty comes into this, surely its more is it fit for purpose.

1 hour ago, Dawn68 said:

I have a 2013 IQ in the white and the paint is peeling, spoke to the dealer who is looking into this for me, but says Toyota look at your loyalty to the brand, and my last two services were not done by Toyota. Anyone had this problem recently? I know Toyota North America is now sorting this for customers. I do not see how brand loyalty comes into this, surely its more is it fit for purpose.

The paintwork warranty would have been three years from new.

Once the car is outside warranty, and no extended warranty is in place, assistance with out of warranty repairs is down to goodwill.

If Toyota were to provide assistance with your issue it would be in the form of a goodwill contribution - a contribution doesn't necessarily mean the full cost of the repair.

Goodwill works both ways - the manufacturer shows goodwill by providing assistance with out of warranty repairs, and the owner shows goodwill by having the vehicle serviced through the manufacturer's dealer network (ie brand loyalty). Other manufacturers adopt a similar approach to out of warranty repairs.

As regards being fit for purpose, the paintwork has already been fit for purpose for a number of years. Legally that's it.

As regards Toyota US, they are covering the issue on some ranges, but not the Prius.

I have a 2012 white iQ - bought 2 years ago as an approved car from my local Toyota dealer. I noticed a couple of months ago that the paint was flaking on the roof, just above the rear hatch. I mentioned it when taking in for annual service & MOT - and asked for a quote. To my surprise I got a call to say that it could be covered by a "10 year paint guarantee". ( I wasn't aware of this guarantee, but have heard of these sort of things elsewhere - and rather cynically assumed that there would be a zero chance of ever making a successful claim!) The work was eventually approved and the car was returned this week - after about 5 weeks away. I was offered a courtesy car, but didn't need one, as we have other cars, and didn't want insurance hassles and risks. I am not sure the extent of the respray - it was certainly not the whole car, but it looks very good, and I am delighted.

Most, but not all, of the car's total service history is with Toyota dealers. I always strive to have a good relationship with the official dealers, and use them exclusively for all our cars. I believe that good will does apply both ways. I use the dealers, and hope that I get maximum "good will" and general cooperation in return. It certainly proved the case in this instance. 

This was our first Toyota car, and after this experience, would most certainly consider them when the time comes to replace any of our family's cars.

As far as I'm aware the '10 year paint warranty' is part of two measures that Toyota announced earlier this year for the US and Canadian market for certain vehicles affected by flaking issues only on super white and pearlescent white paint.  For example the Scion IQ is included but not the Toyota Prius.

Any pearlescent white Iq is likely to suffer paint peeling. See below.

Our 2012 car started on the roof, near the gutter /roof join and slowly spread. Fortunately, it was bought new by us and had always been serviced at the same dealer. It was five or six years old when I asked the dealer, at the time of its annual service, to look at it. He took pictures, said he had seen it a few times before and warned me it would take a few weeks for Toyota to respond.

Two months later they did. We were given a new Yaris Hybrid for three weeks by the dealer. It came back with all old trim and badges in the boot. It had received a bare skin re-prime and respray. It was like a new car (it only has 15000 mile on it now though!!). It still does.

The dealer guy told me it was a known reaction of the paint to the primer. Only with that colour. The above was need to sort it properly.

So it comes down to the dealer. I can imagine them not trying very hard for a customer, with an older car and who didn't buy it from them, or have it serviced by them.

The loan car worked for them. Our youngest liked it so much when she tried it that she went in and ordered a new one. Her second hand, non dealer bought 56 plate RAV4 had issues and was thirsty (2ltr petrol auto).

1 hour ago, peppadog said:

So it comes down to the dealer.

Not necessarily. Bear in mind that assistance with this problem is goodwill, and in your case you showed goodwill by having your car serviced throughout within the Toyota dealer network.

Owners who go outside the Toyota dealer network don't show the same goodwill, and the manufacturer will take this into account when deciding whether to offer goodwill and provide a contribution to repairs. The same applies to other manufacturers. For example when BMW had timing chain issues on some models, they provided goodwill assistance with repairs for owners whose cars with a full BMW service history - owners of cars without a full BMW service history were refused assistance.

• 1 month later...

Hi, new member here, I have just bought an 09 iq in pearlescent white. I knew absolutely nothing about this paint peeling problem. The bonnet has what I thought a few stone chips, acceptable on a car this age, but closer inspection is paint still on the bonnet but lifting. I can respray it myself getting materials from my local paint shop for less than 60 quid, but then googled to see if there are problems, and found lots of people have. I googled recalls thats it, nothing came up so purchased. I have painted many vehicles over the years, all have lasted years and years, and for a company as successful as Toyota to say its goodwill and only covered for 3 years but also repair some cars but not others is wrong. Would I have bought it knowing there is a problem with this colour, no. How can I show loyalty to my first ownership of a Toyota and Ive only just purchased it? I have checked the rest of the car and there is a little bit lifting at rear of roof under the tailgate, I will just put a little bit of paint on it to try stop it going any further. Car was cheap as chips not bothered, but for Toyota to respray full cars and say its only covered under goodwill is !Removed! and they know it!

I do really like the car though and bought it for a run about knowing its reliable 😁

In the UK the DVSA recall system is for safety related issues, which paint isn't.

No manufacturer will provide indefinite warranties on their cars, and for out of warranty repairs, goodwill is often used regardless of manufacturer.

When deciding on goodwill contributions, most manufacturers require that owners have evidence they've shown goodwill towards the manufacturer by having a full marque's service history (eg full Toyota service history). For example, with the timing chain issues that BMW had on some engines, owners whose cars were out of warranty, received goodwill contributions towards repairs where their cars had full BMW service histories.

If your IQ has a full Toyota service history, it may be worthwhile contacting Toyota Customer Services. If Toyota agree to consider the claim, they will require the car to be inspected by a Toyota dealer, and repairs done via their dealer network. Bear in mind that a goodwill contribution may not cover the full cost of repairs.

The goodwill is solely in the purchase of a car from Toyota, what has the service history got to do with defective paintwork. Its the paint adhesion to the primer that is a known fault by and of Toyota. You keep quoting BMW, Well we have minis too, my Mrs is on her 4th one now she loves them. Anyway the first time we bought an 06 plate Cooper I did some homework and found out the steering pumps fail on pre 06 models, people in the UK were forking out a grand plus to repair them, however, in the USA, they were recalled, the forum I found this out on was told by BMW, if any of its members had the fault they would fix it foc, but Europe wouldnt be included as a recall for a known fault. Regardless of safety or paint, its the responsibility of the manufacturer to put right faults that they know about, NOT half hearted we'll do a few and the rest can whistle, totally out of order, there are people on here that have paid thousands for the car and as stated by one owner unsellable and driving round in a car with the advertisement of Toyota with paintwork not fit for purpose.

At the end of the day, Toyota Owners Club has no association with Toyota, and Toyota won't see your posts on this club. If you want to challenge Toyota on their warranties and how they use goodwill, then contact Toyota GB directly. Their contact details are on their website.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife’s 2012 reg pearl white IQ starter to show signs of peeling paint this year.  I contacted the dealer about a month ago.  They weren’t evasive in any way and were fully aware of the problem.  They booked me in for a paint thickness test within a week and today I had a call to say that Toyota had authorised the next stage of the process, which is the paint adhesion test.  This is hopefully a good sign I.e. it is more likely that Toyota are going to authorise the re-spray work.  However there is a slight snag - once it goes in to the body shop it has to stay there until Toyota has made its decision, and potentially until the re-spray is complete.  The dealership can’t tell me how long that will take and there’s a good chance that if it goes in early December that it might languish there until well into the new year.  They pointed out that as this is a goodwill gesture they can’t provide a courtesy car.

Can anybody who has had a re-spray give me an idea of how long they were without their car?

• 6 months later...

My Toyota iq has started to peel anyone had any luck with Toyota as this has to be a manufacturing fault 

On 6/1/2021 at 4:01 PM, Jayne Dehaty said:

My Toyota iq has started to peel anyone had any luck with Toyota as this has to be a manufacturing fault 

See the previous responses.

The paintwork warranty was three years from first registration, so any help from Toyota would be under a goodwill contribution - a contribution doesn't necessarily mean the full cost. With recent instances of paint peeling, Toyota have asked for details of the car service history, and if that is through the Toyota dealer network. So if your car has a full Toyota service history, you stand more chance of being helped.

An 11 year old car is well outside the paintwork warranty, and peeling paint doesn't come under the corrosion warranty.

Note that goodwill isn't any form of warranty, and goodwill works both ways. The manufacturer may give help with post warranty issues, but the owner may be expected to show goodwill by using the manufacturer's dealer network for servicing.

You need to contact a Toyota dealer for them to inspect the car, look at the service history, and then perhaps contact Toyota.

On 11/10/2020 at 1:52 PM, Guest said:

The goodwill is solely in the purchase of a car from Toyota, what has the service history got to do with defective paintwork. Its the paint adhesion to the primer that is a known fault by and of Toyota. You keep quoting BMW, Well we have minis too, my Mrs is on her 4th one now she loves them. Anyway the first time we bought an 06 plate Cooper I did some homework and found out the steering pumps fail on pre 06 models, people in the UK were forking out a grand plus to repair them, however, in the USA, they were recalled, the forum I found this out on was told by BMW, if any of its members had the fault they would fix it foc, but Europe wouldnt be included as a recall for a known fault. Regardless of safety or paint, its the responsibility of the manufacturer to put right faults that they know about, NOT half hearted we'll do a few and the rest can whistle, totally out of order, there are people on here that have paid thousands for the car and as stated by one owner unsellable and driving round in a car with the advertisement of Toyota with paintwork not fit for purpose.W

Well said! Any unbiased person can see Toyota UK are totally out of order regarding this paint peeling issue. For a large and respected motor manufacturer to be so inconsistent, unprofessional and disrespectful to their customers is unacceptable and a "black mark" against the brand.

As for loyally using the Toyota dealer for servicing, I had every intention of doing just that and only stopped when customer service was poor. In refusing to help with my paint issue and suggesting firstly that it was a fault in a re-spray(which was dissproved following a look at the service history) and then turning full circle and saying it was caused by stone chips they have ensured that I will never buy a new Toyota in future.

Other vehicle manufacturers have the same requirement as regards goodwill - ie a service history within their dealer network. 

As Toyota Owners Club has no association with Toyota, and Toyota don't visit our forums, Toyota won't see your comments.

With respect Frostyballs, I'm sure you're a nice fella but your blind defence of Toyota does you or them no favours.

Not defending Toyota. I'm just being realistic !

• 6 months later...

Copy of post on Toyota website.  It is being moderated and I am unsure if they will actually put it up on the site.  I had one panel resprayed in 2020 but they are now saying that they will not do the rest.  So frustrating.

"I am posting this here as your website says that comments do not have to relate to the article where the comment is posted and that Toyota's helpful Community Management Team will be able to route the query to the right place.

I wish to challenge the decision of the Warranty team to refuse to repair the peeling paint on our beloved  Toyota IQ  (KP61 CYX registered in January 2012 and always serviced and looked after by Toyota) .  This decision, which was conveyed to me by Jemca Bracknell on 2 December , was on the grounds that the car had had some of the panels repainted on 2020. This is illogical. You admit that this is a manufacturing fault and have repaired part of the problem but now say that because I have not waited until the other panels were clearly peeling, you won't complete repair, even though the car falls within all the conditions you set for goodwill repair.  I was not told in 2020 that if the fault appeared elsewhere, I would not be eligible for further repair.  When I received the car back from Jemca last time I expressed surprise that only one side had been done, as I had thought that the other was beginning to fail, but I was told that tests had been carried out and the rest was fine.  Clearly your tests have failed to pick up the issue which is now all too apparent.  If I was coming to you now to do the whole car you would do it.  Also, if I lived in the USA or Canada there would be no question that the repair would be carried out.  I am asking that you reconsider and let us continue to use our car for many years to come.

I have asked your customer service team to question the decision which they have done, but came back with the same answer and I am now contacting the Motor Ombudsman."

Be aware that Toyota have changed their warranty on older cars to the new Toyota Relax, as such what the dealer did as goodwill 18+ months ago is not covered now

https://www.toyota.co.uk/download/cms/gben/Toyota Relax TCs - 25.05.21_tcm-3060-2286757.pdf

Paint warranty is only the first 3 years, and they have long stopped the goodwill on cars no longer in production (2015 in the case of the IQ)

And the other issue is Jemca, it is hard to get blood from a stone on a 5-year-old car let alone a 10-year-old IQ

Find a bodyshop and get the work done, TBH you're wasting your energy getting anything done for free by Toyota/dealerships

Note. Toyota Owner's Club is in no way affiliated with Toyota GB

• Like 1

Y

1 hour ago, amlogan said:

Copy of post on Toyota website.  It is being moderated and I am unsure if they will actually put it up on the site.

Toyota Owners Club is independent of, and has no connection with Toyota GB or Toyota.

Neither Toyota GB nor Toyota visit the Club, so won't see your post, and whilst the post may be of interest to members, it won't elicit any response from Toyota GB or Toyota on this forum.

The paint and surface corrosion warranty on your car would have been for 3 years. Any repair that was agreed by Toyota after expiry of the paint and surface corrosion warranty, would have been goodwill. As such it is Toyota's prerogative to decide whether or not to offer further repairs or contributions to further repairs.

• 2 months later...

Hi I am Anita I bought my iq sept 2019 and the exact thing has happened to mine. Started at the bonnet and has gone to the roof almost the same as yours.

• 8 months later...

Hi, I’m considering buying an IQ. Because of this issue I’m wondering whether I should avoid pearlescent white like the plague, even if there’s no evidence of peeling at the moment. In the worst case scenario I could perhaps consider getting it resprayed at my own expense. Has anyone ever done this and could give me a very rough idea of the cost?

Thanks

Rule of thumb £150-200 per panel depending on condition, a decent paint shop will have a 4-8 week wait time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, flash22 said:

Rule of thumb £150-200 per panel depending on condition, a decent paint shop will have a 4-8 week wait time

So for an IQ I’m guessing 1500 would be close?

it depends how bad it is, if it is a case of flat it back to the primer anything up to £4-5K for a full respray as it's a much bigger job than spraying in panels and blending

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links