Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2006 2.2 poor starting

the fox

Anyone messed about with glow plug timing, son-in-laws Rav4 136bhp model bad to start when cold, glow plugs don't stop on long, I put a jump lead from Battery to glow plug connection strip this morning turned ignition on waited about ten seconds started like a new one. Any ideas how to make the glow plugs stop on a bit longer,

Glow plugs have 'afterglow', ie they stay on for a period even after the engine has started (and after the tell-tale light has gone out).  Do the same test with the the ignition switch, ie leave it 10 secs or more and see how it starts.  Check each glow plug, maybe one or more aren't working.  To check them - remove the connector at each one and skiff a poz lead on the glow plug connector.  If you get a juicy spark it's fine, if no spark or a woosy one it's knackered. 

DON'T TRY THIS IF YOU'RE NOT CONFIDENT UNDER THE BONNET.  A SPARK CAN EASILY CAUSE AN UNDER BONNET FIRE!!!  IF IN DOUBT LEAVE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL.

Hi I checked the glow plugs before posting, I get 1.6 ohm for each one, the glow plugs are only being fed for a couple of seconds, so I was hoping someone had the same problem and found a way of keeping the feed on for longer,

So what I have done is to fit a nice thick wire form the starter side of the solenoid on the starter motor to the glow plug connection rail, so when the starter is turning over the glow plugs get a feed, just phoned him this morning it started first time on the button, but if anyone has any idea how you can extend the time the glow plug relay is energised I would be grateful.

Sorry I can't really help much more, but I'd like to think there's something telling it to cut off early - maybe a faulty temp sensor somewhere thinks the engine is hot?

edit... I see there are glow plug relays on eBay for about £30.  Might be worth a shot?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links