Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tire Advice

rik1002

Hi All

I am from South Africa and drive a 2010 Toyota Rav4 D-4D 4x4 VX

I need to replace 2 tires. Do I have to replace all 4 or can I just replace 2?

Another problem is that the current Duel 687's aren't made anymore. So not sure if I can replace 2 with the newer model ?

Thanks for the help

Ryan 

Hi Ryan As I understand it if fitting 2 new tyres it is better to have them both on either the front or back axle

I would put your newer tires on the front, and you should be ok with a different design.  Just don't mix cross-ply and radial.

Of course, there may, or may not, be some legal rules applicable to South Africa.

Thanks very much for the help. I checked the book and it confirms that 2 on the same axle.

I thought that because its the 4x4 version that you have to do 4 at a time. Maybe that's true for cars that are permanent 4x4?

No rules in South Africa about this...We can't even keep the lights on

It will adversely affect the 4x4 if the center diff is locked (assuming your RAV4 has one - mine does not) and the tyres are not the same outside diameter.  Nothing else that I know of.

On 3/20/2019 at 6:17 AM, rik1002 said:

Hi All

I am from South Africa and drive a 2010 Toyota Rav4 D-4D 4x4 VX

I need to replace 2 tires. Do I have to replace all 4 or can I just replace 2?

Another problem is that the current Duel 687's aren't made anymore. So not sure if I can replace 2 with the newer model ?

Thanks for the help

Ryan 

The original Bridgestone Dueler H/T 687 are still available - in the UK, at least.

On some models they were fitted in conjunction with the Bridgestone Support Ring (BSR) to provide a run-flat capability. While this may well not apply to a 2010 RAV from South Africa it is something to double check.

You can, of course, simply replace the two worn tyres, with tyres of the same spec as the originals (but different make model). Ideally the replacements would go onto the same axle as has already been suggested.

I would put the new tyres onto the rear, moving the older, more worn, tyres to the front. There are two reasons for this:

• I was advised that the average driver can cope better with potential under-steer (i.e. when the front tyres loose grip) that over-steer should the rear tyres loose grip - so 'grippier' tyres are better placed on the rear.
  • Putting the worn tyres at the front will tend to ensure that they are worn out first - and thus give you a better chance of "wearing them out" before they become time expired.