Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 2004 1.8 Automatic

chana100red

Hi All,

Since owning my car in 2018 all has been fine and working well, until now.

The car is shaking while I drive off and I am now keeping it at 20 mph and when I come to break the car almost wants to cut out. 

This has only started in a week and is due for service. 

I am unable to find anything on this topic as I thought this might be a common proboem on older models.  Any advice or tips is most grateful.

tc

dipak

Is it only running rough while you drive, or also while sitting in neutral?

Running rough when I am driving all the time,  happens all the time.  Just started a few days ago.  Nothing has changed with this car nor have I messed about with anything.  I bought the car back in 2018. 

It is a mystery to me. 

Sorry also when I am sitting in neutral it almost wants to cut out when I apply the brakes.

I'm trying to diagnose whether it's engine or gearbox related.  If it runs rough when sitting idling it's engine, if it's only when moving it's probably transmission.

Usually these cars are super bullet proof when it comes to engine durability.  I can only think of calling recovery service to give me a diagnostic check if that is the only option I have.  I simply don't want to take it to a garage as I really don't trust many of them.

It runs rough when it is at idle and while driving it is also rough.  Difficult one to call...

• 3 weeks later...

It could be anything you need diagnostic if you don't want to just try spark plugs but really needs fault reader 

3 minutes ago, Longcock said:

It could be anything you need diagnostic if you don't want to just try spark plugs but really needs fault 

But remember it cold be anything 

Hey Stephen,

I recently resubmitted another forum as my heading was not clear.  The fix that i applied was replace the top cover gasket and spark plug seal.  Once I removed and cleaned everything I simply did just that.

I also changed a faulty ignition coil and everything is running smoothly as you would expect in an Avensis - lol.

So far so good after two weeks it is holding up just fine.

cheers

dee