Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Security

altocumulus

I see the Corolla Hybrid is not classed as being good in the security of the keyless entry (The Times today).

If the Corolla isn't brilliant, how about the other models?

btw: Guess it's time to change the tyres to Summer 😄

I think few cars today are well protected against relay attack.

Indeed.

It shocked that Land Rover were some of the best!!!

Better dust off my wheel clamp...

Land Rover were one of the worst until about 18 months ago. The number of thefts of their products in and around Birmingham and Solihull were a bit of an embarrassment for them.

39 minutes ago, altocumulus said:

btw: Guess it's time to change the tyres to Summer 😄

Yep!  Mine's going to my dealer today for the swap (and I'll be borrowing a RAV4 Hybrid demonstrator for 24 hours from them at the same time).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

Yep!  Mine's going to my dealer today for the swap (and I'll be borrowing a RAV4 Hybrid demonstrator for 24 hours from them at the same time).

You won't regret that 'borrow' it's a wonderful vehicle.

3 hours ago, altocumulus said:

I see the Corolla Hybrid is not classed as being good in the security of the keyless entry (The Times today).

If the Corolla isn't brilliant, how about the other models?

afaik you should be able to turn off the smartfob transmitting via button presses on newer Toyotas to avoid relay theft. Of course that relies on the the owner doing so ...

Hold the down the lock button and press the unlock button twice whilst doing so turns off the fob.

Or get a Faraday pouch.

• Like 1

I'm going to disable it on the multimedia system to be sure.   Then it will work much like my old gen2!

It's a pain to keep having to remember to turn off the fob...

1 minute ago, RelaxedDrive said:

I'm going to disable it on the multimedia system to be sure.   Then it will work much like my old gen2!

It's a pain to keep having to remember to turn off the fob...

I've turned off my spare key and I just pop the daily use key in a Faraday pouch when I get home.

I have car and house keys on the same ring, so a pouch would not work for me unfortunately.  I kind of prefer the old system of pressing a button, I find the new system a bit unnatural anyway!

Faraday Pouches are a bit hit and miss, which makes do you reckon are 'reliable'?

Faraday Pouches are a bit hit and miss, which makes do you reckon are 'reliable'?

Previously I used an altoids mint tin, I could just about get away with it to open the doors while still in the tin. Since the car wasn’t close to the house and the possibility of the neighbours having keyless entry as well might further frustrate a potential thief.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

Previously I used an altoids mint tin

M&S sell a version of Altoids in a similar sized tin - M&S Curiously Strong Mints.

• Haha 1

According to a list of vehicles ADAC ( German automobile club) have tested for relay attack vulnerability, which was updated in January 2019, the following Toyotas are vulnerable for both illegal entry and illegal starting of the engine:

C-HR petrol and hybrid

Mirai

Prius from Oct 2007

Prius from Jan 2016

Prius plug-in from Mar 2017

Rav4 from Dec 2015

Verso from July 2015

Although ADAC haven't tested other models in the Toyota range, one may presume other Toyotas may be equally as vulnerable. 

Their verdict on using foil or tins to protect keys is as follows:

"Wrapping tin foil around the key fob is no reliable remedy because the foil does not always provide reliable insulation and may be damaged by the jagged edges of other keys. Also: if a vehicle is stolen in spite of this, the owner may be assigned part of the blame for not wrapping the foil tightly enough around the key fob. Metal cans do not always provide protection against radio waves."

• Thanks 1

If I still used, my favourite would be an empty tin of Old Holborn.

I'm not too worried about at home, only in car parks and when visiting elsewhere.

Better dust off the Disklok. Was used on the RAV4, I guess it'll fit the Phv.

Article in local newspaper this morning. Range Rover Evoque stolen off drive yesterday morning - CCTV covered the theft. Took thief 24 seconds to drive away despite owner using a Faraday pouch.

As thought. Some pouches are dodgy.

They're not dodgy if you use them correctly and check if it's working. The owner of the Range rover probably had their spare keys somewhere else in the house and not in a pouch.

The pouches have two pockets, one for the keys or phone or whatever you want to block and another one that is not protected. If you put the keys in the wrong pocket then they are not blocked. The other thing is. as I said above, some owners forget about their spare key and don't protect it. It's easy enough to check if the pouch is working, put your keys in and go to the car and see if you can open it, doh, it's not rocket science, although it might be beyond the intelligence of Range Rover Evoque posers owners 🙄

I have two cheap pouches, bought off Ebay £6 each, one for my spare key and one for my every day key, both work fine. I can't open the car when standing right next to the door, with the key in the pouch and I can't start the car if sat inside with the key in pouch, even holding the pouch up near the start button. 

• Thanks 1

Indeed, that's the 'obvious' test - and I guess you're right in that often we forget the 'spare' set.

On one occasion a few years ago, with a Prius, I inadvertently drove with my wife's spare set that she had in her handbag. When she left to go shopping, I said I would pick her up when she called me. You can guess - she needed her handbag for shopping and in the bag was ...... 😄

p.s. Do the eBay pouches have a maker's name?

The ones I've got have a sewn in tag on them saying, "Defender"

• Thanks 1

"Defender" - chuckles, don't tell Land Rover....

• Haha 1

Be aware, they can wear out though. the metallic cloth inside the bag may get a bit worn if you're throwing your keys in there a lot, it's worth checking if they're still working every now and then. In that respect an Altoids tin may be more hard wearing. You also have to make sure the pouch is closed properly so the signal can't leak out. You could turn off your spare key if you don't want to buy two bags.

I purchased two pouches from E-bay; one for my set of car keys and one for my wife's set.. I tested both pouches on receiving them. Keith has already pointed out with the keys in the pouches the car doors would not open. My wife forgot her keys were in the pouch in her handbag and after shopping tried to open the car. the car would not open. They are very effective. There are two sections in the pouch the keys must be in the "gold" cloth rear section. The front section "white" can be used for credit card. 

• Like 3

I've bought a pack of two, from Amazon. They are effective, so should do the job.

• Like 1