Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Tourer 15 plate - possible clutch problem

funks81

Wondering if anyone can help - I have a 15 plate Avensis Estate 2.0 diesel with approx 60k miles.  Over the past month or so - I've occasionally had the engine over-revving whilst accelerating in 4th 5th or 6th.  The clutch bite point does seem to be quite high - however no problems pulling away or even accelerating hard in 1st 2nd or 3rd.  The problem is intermittent - it does seem to happen accelerating up one particular hill on my way home from work - when I am doing approx 40mph in 4th gear - the engine will rev without the speed increasing (therefore my thoughts about a worn clutch).  I have taken it in to Toyota and they cannot replicate or find a problem.  I am little worried as I've just had a quote from Halfords Autocentre for replacing the clutch and it came to £1680!!!  My previous Avensis had over 100k miles on it when I sold it with no problems - my driving style has not changed - and I really wouldn't say that I have a particularly heavy right foot.

Hi Jonathon, welcome to TOC 🙂

Is this an 1AD or a 2WW (BMW-derived) engine [2015 facelift was the changeover]?

p.s. your profile says  a 2011 Avensis not 2015

Hi - its the 1AD - I think - had a discussion when buying about the BMW engines - and the dealer recommended against them!!

So the front end of your car doesn't look like this? https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/avensis/92358/new-toyota-avensis-2015-review

Tbh speaking to the service guys at my dealer the BMW-derived diesels are at best a sideways move from the AD series but saved Toyota a lot of money from designing/developing & putting into production from scratch their own EU6 range whilst having relatively low volumes for it.

Nope - so i guess that makes it definitely the 1AD.

On 3/21/2019 at 2:03 PM, funks81 said:

Wondering if anyone can help - I have a 15 plate Avensis Estate 2.0 diesel with approx 60k miles.  Over the past month or so - I've occasionally had the engine over-revving whilst accelerating in 4th 5th or 6th.  The clutch bite point does seem to be quite high - however no problems pulling away or even accelerating hard in 1st 2nd or 3rd.  The problem is intermittent - it does seem to happen accelerating up one particular hill on my way home from work - when I am doing approx 40mph in 4th gear - the engine will rev without the speed increasing (therefore my thoughts about a worn clutch).  I have taken it in to Toyota and they cannot replicate or find a problem.  I am little worried as I've just had a quote from Halfords Autocentre for replacing the clutch and it came to £1680!!!  My previous Avensis had over 100k miles on it when I sold it with no problems - my driving style has not changed - and I really wouldn't say that I have a particularly heavy right foot.

I hope you asked for a quote at a few clutch centres and Toyota themselves! Also local garages, because £1680 is a lot! That is more than 3 times the cost of my car, given that mines a petrol and yours is diesel with DMF.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links