Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help! What model is a Yaris SCP12 (2003)

Evar

Does anyone happen to know what the UK equivalent is for a Model Type - Yaris SCP12 ?

This car was imported to the UK from the Netherlands in 2003 (new) and was duly registered.

The DVLC thinks it is a Yaris S D-4D model, it is not!, the Insurers Database think it is a 3 door 1.4 Diesel, it is not!

This car is in fact a 5 door 1.3 Petrol.

The VIN is VNKKL12360A034040

I am having problems insuring it because there is this discrepancy in the data relating to the Model type.

Please someone help, I have exhausted my enquiries (with Toyota UK, Toyota Europe, DVLC etc.)

Many thanks,

E. Vard

Have you recently bought the vehicle? Presumably it is left hand drive as it was imported from the Netherlands?

Try searching the MOT history by inputting the registration number into https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

If it still shows the car is a diesel, I suggest there is something wrong with the history of the car. Possibly cloned??

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Have you recently bought the vehicle? Presumably it is left hand drive as it was imported from the Netherlands?

Try searching the MOT history by inputting the registration number into https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

If it still shows the car is a diesel, I suggest there is something wrong with the history of the car. Possibly cloned??

Thank you very much Frostyballs, appreciate you taking the time.

Car was manufactured for the UK market, it is a right hand drive, suitable for UK.

Good point about the MOT history, have checked - under Model it just says Yaris.

My guess is that when the vehicle was first registered in the UK, a mistake was made in DVLC entering the data!

It is possible, because DVLC takes it's info from either the Importer of the Manufacturer and does not do a physical check.

I am sure the car is legit because it was handed down to me by the first and only other owner.

It remains a mystery...

This is what I found using the VIN you supplied:

Vehicle characteristics
GRADE: SOL: SOL TYPE
PRODUCT: FRP: PRODUCED AT TMMF
DRIVER'S POSITION: RHD: RIGHT-HAND DRIVE
ENGINE: 2SZFE: 1300CC 16-VALVE DOHC EFI
TRANSMISSION: MTM: MANUAL TRANSMISSION
GEAR SHIFT TYPE: 5F: MTM, 5-SPEED FLOOR SHIFT
NO.OF DOORS: 5D: 5-DOOR
COLOR CODE: 8P4  
TRIM CODE: FA16

VIN*Model codeFromToFrame  CharacteristicsVNKKL183..SCP12R-CHMGKW02/2003 -10/2005SCP12SOLFRPRHD2SZFEMTM5F5D 

Hope that helps.

Click here to continue

Strange as when I input either of our cars into the MOT history site, they state 'petrol' under fuel type. 

I can say that Toyota GB wouldn't have imported the car from The Netherlands. There are companies that import cars from the EU into the UK, as sometimes cars can be cheaper through this route - although on new vehicles VAT would still have been payable. Occasionally individuals do the same. So if there has been any error, I would presume this would have occurred when the vehicle was first imported. Surprised the original owner didn't sort this out previously.

So really, you need to contact DVLA and discuss the issue with them, including what corrective action may be applicable. They may wish to inspect the car to ensure it is what you say it is.

None of this helps you insure it though, and to insure it as a diesel when it isn't, could cause problems in the event of a claim.

If the car has been wrongly taxed as a diesel, when it is petrol (with higher C02 emissions), wonder if there is scope for DVLA to claw back some of the difference between the two different VED rates over the years.

Possible fraud on behalf of the previous, first owner?

For example think the current VED for the diesel is £30 annually, and for the petrol £155 annually.

This could open a can of worms ......

Sorry, but I don't understand.

The VIN decodes as a petrol car, not a diesel.

Mick.

Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 06.45.42.png

3 hours ago, Mick F said:

Sorry, but I don't understand.

The VIN decodes as a petrol car, not a diesel.

The car was imported new from The Netherlands, and, it appears, that when it was first registered presumably by the importer or the new owner, it was registered as a diesel not petrol.

The car has now changed hands, and the new owner is having difficulty insuring it because both DVLA and the insurance database show it is diesel not petrol.

So since new, the car would have been taxed as a diesel rather than petrol, and over the 16 years or so, the previous/first owner has paid considerably less VED - eg. think the current rate for this VED band is £30 for diesel and £155 petrol. The previous owner must have been aware of the discrepancy.

I understand all that of course.

What I don't understand is why the VIN says one thing, but it's possible to register it as another thing.

Seems to me that DVLA needs a kick up the bum.  It's their fault, not the owner's fault.

Mick

The DVLA lookup info that I use is correct, a petrol, it is the insurer database that is wrong, IMHO, is the reg ****JVG?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mick F said:

Seems to me that DVLA needs a kick up the bum.  It's their fault, not the owner's fault.

When registering a new vehicle the DVLA use the information supplied by the dealer/importer/owner, which includes information on fuel type, VIN, etc. As far as I'm aware, they don't carry out a VIN check, which would add time and cost to the process.

For example an individual who buys a new, unregistered vehicle in another country and then imports and wishes to register the vehicle into the UK, completes the form 'application for first vehicle tax and registration of a new vehicle'.

On 3/21/2019 at 5:40 PM, stantheman1 said:

This is what I found using the VIN you supplied:

Vehicle characteristics
GRADE: SOL: SOL TYPE
PRODUCT: FRP: PRODUCED AT TMMF
DRIVER'S POSITION: RHD: RIGHT-HAND DRIVE
ENGINE: 2SZFE: 1300CC 16-VALVE DOHC EFI
TRANSMISSION: MTM: MANUAL TRANSMISSION
GEAR SHIFT TYPE: 5F: MTM, 5-SPEED FLOOR SHIFT
NO.OF DOORS: 5D: 5-DOOR
COLOR CODE: 8P4  
TRIM CODE: FA16

VIN*Model codeFromToFrame  CharacteristicsVNKKL183..SCP12R-CHMGKW02/2003 -10/2005SCP12SOLFRPRHD2SZFEMTM5F5D 

Hope that helps.

Click here to continue

Thank you Stantheman1, still no Model type though... 

1 hour ago, Parts-King said:

The DVLA lookup info that I use is correct, a petrol, it is the insurer database that is wrong, IMHO, is the reg ****JVG?

Yes it is this Reg Number!

So contrary to what was originally posted, the DVLA information is correct.

As regards the motor insurance database, if that has the wrong details, only an insurance company can update them.

Thank you all for your invaluable input, it is much appreciated!

So here are the 'puzzle bits', which I need to put together to get a clear picture:

- This Yaris is a 1.3lt Petrol, 5 door hatchback.

- The Certificate of Compliance for this vehicle (by VIN) provided (£75) by Toyota UK confirms this! giving the Model as <Yaris SCP12>, there is no such Model in the Insurer's Database, they need a UK equivalent.

- DVLA, in the V5C has the Model type as - <S D-4D> I believe this denotes a Diesel? if so, the DVLA has wrong info.

- The Insurer's Database has my Reg No. as a 1,4lt Diesel and a 3 door. Wrong!

- Toyota Europe are not able to give me a Model type! (in writing by email from Toyota.nl)

- DVLA say that they can only state the details given by the importer.

- The Importer (private individual) has no knowledge of problem, presumably having 'miss-insured' the vehicle all these years before handing it over to me.

- Sort of stuck... thinking maybe just get rid of the car, but it is a shame, it's a really good little runner.

Thank you all, but this looks like a dead-end...

1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

So contrary to what was originally posted, the DVLA information is correct.

39 minutes ago, Evar said:

Thank you Stantheman1, still no Model type though... 

The way I see it is :  The Grade SOL which in the UK is usually 'GL, GLS, CDX TS' etc or 'T3, TSpirit', SR etc (LUNA models are base models such as 'S' or 'T2') What trim level is yours? If unsure you could always list the items such as electric windows, mirrors, A/C etc and we could probably work it out from that. Also you could check what other sites have on your such as 'MyToyota' website, TotalCarCheck and Vehicle Smart apps.If you can't access these sites I will be more than happy to check for you, all you need is your reg.

What does the V5C show under 'taxation class'?

As a model code SCP12 is incomplete, the full model code is 

SCP12R-CHMGKW

SCP12R = P1 Yaris with 1.3 2SZFE Engine RHD

CH = 5 Door

M = Manual

GKW = High Grade ( called SOL at factory level ) 

In the UK the high grade was split into two models, the simplest differentiation being 

GLS 14" Steel wheels with trims

CDX 14" alloy wheels 

12 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

As a model code SCP12 is incomplete, the full model code is 

SCP12R-CHMGKW

SCP12R = P1 Yaris with 1.3 2SZFE Engine RHD

CH = 5 Door

M = Manual

GKW = High Grade ( called SOL at factory level ) 

In the UK the high grade was split into two models, the simplest differentiation being 

GLS 14" Steel wheels with trims

CDX 14" alloy wheels 

Thank you Devon Aygo! I think you may very well have resolved this conundrum.

Now I need to convince DVLC to change section <D.3 Model> from existing S D-4D to CDX!

Thanks you very much.

13 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

What does the V5C show under 'taxation class'?

PETROL CAR

14 hours ago, stantheman1 said:

The way I see it is :  The Grade SOL which in the UK is usually 'GL, GLS, CDX TS' etc or 'T3, TSpirit', SR etc (LUNA models are base models such as 'S' or 'T2') What trim level is yours? If unsure you could always list the items such as electric windows, mirrors, A/C etc and we could probably work it out from that. Also you could check what other sites have on your such as 'MyToyota' website, TotalCarCheck and Vehicle Smart apps.If you can't access these sites I will be more than happy to check for you, all you need is your reg.

LF52JGV is a 1.3lt Petrol 5 door

When you check this registration online you will get a 1.4lt Diesel 3 door...

Am I missing something here?

The car shows up as a PETROL car on the V5, it shows as PETROL on DVLA lookup, but shows up as DIESEL when you try and insure it? Surely it is the Motor Insurance Bureau that has it wrong?

1 minute ago, Parts-King said:

Am I missing something here?

The car shows up as a PETROL car on the V5, it shows as PETROL on DVLA lookup, but shows up as DIESEL when you try and insure it? Surely it is the Motor Insurance Bureau that has it wrong?

Please note that the V5C states the Model as a Yaris S D-4D, which I think denotes a Diesel, if this is true, there is a contradiction in the DVLC document.

A D4D is indeed a diesel, but the taxation class is correct. i would write a letter explaining that the DESCRIPTION is wrong, but the taxation class is correct. I would not waste any time on the phone. Explain this is having an effect on the MIB insurance database as it is Petrol and not Diesel 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links