Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina E issue

Dominicarina

Hi, I have a problem with my Carina E and was wondering if the technicians here would be able to help out a bit.

I drove my car for over an hour today, no problem. Parked it. Moved it a few parking spaces, still no problem. Started her up an hour later and drove off. Then at the first traffic light it started running and sounding rough, massive loss in power, smell of fuel in cab. No check engine light, but running rough. Vibration at idle and popping sound from exhaust at even intervals. Checked HT leads, and coil, seem okay. Any idea what the issue might be? It does seem they put in the coil setup from the lean burn version with seperate coil and distributor cap and rotor last time they changed it, but this has worked alright for years. Any suggestions as to what changed today? Could the distributor cap/rotor be worn causing the issues I mentioned? Or is it something more serious like the timing belt having skipped a tooth? Thanks heaps for any help.

Cheers,

Dominic

Nobody any idea?

Also wanted to ask if anyone knows why the distributor only has three connections inside the plug (+ 0 -), rather than four, which is in all the manuals (NE, G1, G2, G-) and what are their resistances supposed to be?

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody?

Small update, coil and leads seems ok, changed plugs, changed distributor cap and rotor, compression test shows no problems there, MAP sensor seems ok too. Any idea why the car might be running so poorly and where the total lack of power comes from?

Hello,

This may sound really silly, but could it be the fuel, either dirty, bad, water in it, or miss fueled ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey - not sure you got this solved, but I had a fuel injector go a few years ago on my Carina E - just give them a listen with a screw driver and if one is not clicking, that could be it. Important to get the same colour one to replace. I think you are safe enough with same colour of same era Toyota - mine was blue. A little leak from the rail when i fitted first, but new O-Ring sorted it. Hope that helps

• 4 years later...

Have you had a new fuel filter ? Also I throw in a can of Redx fuel injection cleaner each year. If Ok to that then check fuel pump pressure.