Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Excessive oil in the spark plug compartments

chana100red

Hi All,

I initially had issues with my car running pretty rough in the last few weeks and got worse yesterday.  I investigated the issue and found that the spark plugs were covered with excess oil which to me is not right.  I replaced them for now but this has not fixed the issue. I also discovered that the spark plug tubes are leaking - I guess!  This would mean removing the gasket cover and undoing the spark plug tube nuts/seals.

Can you anyone advise if this is correct or if there is a video showing how to fix these type of issues.

I wont know how long the spark plug seals will hold out but I suspect it wont.

cheers

dipak

Oil in the spark plug tube suggests your rocker cover gasket is leaking, replacement is a fairly simple task and the rocker cover gasket is a one-piece design which incorporates the rocker cover and spark plug tube seals, Part number 11213-0D030 £16.39 from Toyota

a.png

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the information and is certainly going to help.  I have ordered the part in question and will take a print out with me today to ensure it is th correct one.

Many Thanks

Dipak

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2019 at 10:33 AM, chana100red said:

Hi All,

I initially had issues with my car running pretty rough in the last few weeks and got worse yesterday.  I investigated the issue and found that the spark plugs were covered with excess oil which to me is not right.  I replaced them for now but this has not fixed the issue. I also discovered that the spark plug tubes are leaking - I guess!  This would mean removing the gasket cover and undoing the spark plug tube nuts/seals.

Can you anyone advise if this is correct or if there is a video showing how to fix these type of issues.

I wont know how long the spark plug seals will hold out but I suspect it wont.

cheers

dipak

After much deliberating I decided to purchase a set of gasket valve seals and a set of new spark plugs. 

I carefully removed the top head gasket cover along with the spark plugs and coil.  After the cover had been removed I cleaned up the head with petrol and carefully cleaned the edges and removed any excess gasket that was embedded.  Cleaned out the top cover and removed as much of the oil stuck on the inside of the cover.

Once I was satisfied that everything was clean I placed the gasket into the slots and put back the top cover.  Remembering where everything went and bolts to hold down the cover.

Tightened the bolts with light pressure to ensure no compression was leaking from the gasket.  Noticed that the No.3 ignition coil was faukty so replaced the faulty one  with a new one.  Once put back to normal I allowed the gasket to settle/embed for 24 hours before driving the car.

Since then, the car has been running very well and no problems thereafter.  Fuel consumption is good although not much has changed since it is an old car.

I suspect that this job may have costed on average £180 including parts + labour.

• Like 2

I must admit that I really appreciate the help we get on this forum and people really want to help you!  It is fantastic that there are so many people out there helping each other.

I thank that we have forums like this where people can share views, project work and and ideas...

• Like 2