Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota fuel consumption survey

TCEU_Design

On 3/26/2019 at 12:32 AM, Ancient Nerd said:

Completed, but has the look of Toyota GB, in that the fuel consumption is meaningful for the standard Prius, but irrelevant for the plug-in, where useable kWh information is only available from the charger. As with the long ago weasel warranty, I suspect that new owners will (might) gain, but existing owners will be ignored.

Hi @Ancient Nerd 

Please could you let me know what kind of information would you like to see from your plug-in and why it would be useful for you? It would be great to hear more about this.

Karim

Hi Karim

Would it be worth posting in this group?  Mod edit - TOC doesn't publicize other Toyota forums. Suggest you pm the OP.

Some Hybrid owners there aren't on this forum.

12 hours ago, TCEU_Design said:

Hi @Ancient Nerd 

Please could you let me know what kind of information would you like to see from your plug-in and why it would be useful for you? It would be great to hear more about this.

Karim

OK Karim, I'll try to put a detailed description together. It may take a day or two.

If you can create something that generates useful and compatible information for both petrol and electrical usage, for existing cars, it will be very much appreciated. 

On 3/25/2019 at 1:09 PM, TCEU_Design said:

Good afternoon everyone,

This is my first post! I currently work on a Product & Design team at Toyota and we're currently working on some new products and features. It would be really great to have actual customer input into these features and so we have a survey here which should only take about 2 minutes of your time:

Toyota fuel consumption survey

Many thanks in advance!

Karim

I have a 2019 Yaris Hybrid 1.5 five door. Checked my fuel consumption the other day. From full tank to full tank and calculated exactly, it done 52.37 miles to the gallon. That’s only the second time I filled it. I hope that figure will improve as the car does more miles. It was all short journeys around town.

14 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

I have a 2019 Yaris Hybrid 1.5 five door. Checked my fuel consumption the other day. From full tank to full tank and calculated exactly, it done 52.37 miles to the gallon. That’s only the second time I filled it. I hope that figure will improve as the car does more miles. It was all short journeys around town.

Have you completed the survey?

Completed. 

I strongly believe that the fuel consumption in Toyota auris 2014 Hybrid would have been significantly lower, if the tyres were 195/65/R15. Has anyone something to say or propose on this issue? 

Thanks

Is this survey just for UK Toyota ?

2 minutes ago, HSDish said:

Is this survey just for UK Toyota ?

No.

12 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

No.

13 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

No.

OK. 

Responced now

5 hours ago, M V said:

I strongly believe that the fuel consumption in Toyota auris 2014 Hybrid would have been significantly lower, if the tyres were 195/65/R15. Has anyone something to say or propose on this issue

Why not start a new topic to raise discussion on this.

30 minutes ago, Longcock said:

I'm sorry because this isn't anything to do with the survey but 52 mpg ? That is very disappointing I have a 2001 rav4 2.0 d4d that can almost reach them mpg and a 2005 avensis 2.0 d4d that gets between 47 and 55 mpg depending on what type of driving sorry but I thought these new hybrid cars would get at least 70 mpg sorry again as it's not part of the survey 

Post transferred to new topic - 

7 hours ago, M V said:

Completed. 

I strongly believe that the fuel consumption in Toyota auris 2014 Hybrid would have been significantly lower, if the tyres were 195/65/R15. Has anyone something to say or propose on this issue? 

Thanks

Welcome to TOC, Miltiadis 🙂

You are probably right & it is listed as an alternative size for the 2nd Gen. Auris. As long as the wheel would fit  over the brake discs presumably you could run on them (as long as your insurance agreed to the change from standard spec.).

On 4/2/2019 at 10:04 AM, M V said:

...I strongly believe that the fuel consumption in Toyota auris 2014 Hybrid would have been significantly lower, if the tyres were 195/65/R15...

The official figures on the 3rd and 4th generation Prius show a small but significant improvement in mpg and CO2 on models that have 15" rims rather than 17".  The most telling figure though is the Coefficient of Drag (CD), which on the latest Prius is 0.24 Vs 0.26 which, despite the small numerical value, is a massive difference.

In fact, it's not the diameter - at the very out edge of the tyres the diameter is almost identical for both sizes, it's just the 17" wheels have a smaller amount of rubber/air between the metal rim and the road (in other words, lower profile tyres), hence the poorer ride on the 17" wheels.  The difference comes from the fact the 17" rims have wider wheels and tyres, and that causes a significant increase in air resistance.

I had a test drive a couple of years ago in the electric BMW i3, which had 19" wheels which I though were pretty stupid to fit on a car that's slightly smaller than an Auris, where EV range was all-important.  Turns out though they are actually very narrow so don't have the same air resistance problem, which I only discovered much later when I was driving behind one.

I was quite critical of the design of most hybrid cars bowing to fashion. IE wide wheels wide wing mirrors ( high drag) Under car aerodynamics being a bit naff( What the punter cant see doesn't sell cars). I've never understood why it is important to dress up a vehicle designed for efficiency and economy to seemingly undo some of that clever design in order to boy racer- bling things up. If owner wants the wide wheels and decked suspension ,those sorts of car are available elsewhere. Gold plating a shed is always going to be inappropriate, why not gold plate something which is already blingy by design?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wass said:

I was quite critical of the design of most hybrid cars bowing to fashion. IE wide wheels wide wing mirrors ( high drag) Under car aerodynamics being a bit naff( What the punter cant see doesn't sell cars). I've never understood why it is important to dress up a vehicle designed for efficiency and economy to seemingly undo some of that clever design in order to boy racer- bling things up. If owner wants the wide wheels and decked suspension ,those sorts of car are available elsewhere. Gold plating a shed is always going to be inappropriate, why not gold plate something which is already blingy by design?

I completely get this, although there are one or two rays of hope occasionally.

The Gen 3 Prius did have an amazingly good drag factor (CD 0.25) if you could get one with the narrower 15" wheels, and one reason I didn't get one straight away was that only the T3 had the 'sensible' wheels, but it lacked a few things I wanted.  The 2012 face lift fixed that, and I acquired a T3 demonstrator with the Audio/SatNav upgrade at a good price, and got my dealer to fit the Cruise Control switch so it had everything I really needed.  The underside actually had quite a lot of vanes and pieces of trim to aid streamlining.

The Gen 4 improved on this further (CD 0.24), and I was delighted to be able to get the top trim (which included leather interior) and choose to have 15" wheels (for a £400 rebate to boot!) and also swap the gunge for a spare wheel (no charge).

I'm dismayed to see the new 4WD Prius only comes with 17" wheels, and as far as I can see no 15" option (and only available with B+ trim level).

Unfortunately for me, one aspect of the Gen 4 aerodynamics is that they made the car even lower than previous versions (the original Prius was actually quite high), and I'm saddened that this has made getting in and out painful now that I have problems with my hips, and may even have provoked the problems in the first place.  As a result, after 17 years and over 310,000 miles of Prius driving, I'm trading it in for a vastly less impressive RAV4 Hybrid (CD 0.32), with monster 18" wheels (the space saver is bigger than the main wheels on my Prius!).  Regrettably I could find nothing that suited me better, and a number of other cars are now getting low enough to cause some people problems.  Three people I know have also recently had to change their choice of vehicle because their previous cars became too low for comfort.

Completed with reservations.

With a PHV the consumption is nigh impossible to predict with it changing from electric to petrol on medium runs. The charging socket needs a kWh meter on it! With an empty Battery I use the 2nd trip recorder and see 80-90 mpg depending whether I'm in the Peak District or the flat. On combined runs the MPG is normally showing above the 199 mpg max reading average.

And it's a Toyota, isn't the Extremely satisfied box superfluous :tongue: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

Completed with reservations.

With a PHV the consumption is nigh impossible to predict with it changing from electric to petrol on medium runs. The charging socket needs a KWh meter on it! With an empty battery I use the 2nd trip recorder and see 80-90 mpg depending whether I'm in the Peak District or the flat. On combined runs the MPG is normally showing above the 199 mpg max reading average.

And it's a Toyota, isn't the Extremely satisfied box superfluous :tongue: 

Wow 199mpg I'd love one of those what is it and how much are they . definitely can't complain 

3 hours ago, Longcock said:

Wow 199mpg I'd love one of those what is it and how much are they . definitely can't complain 

That depends on how far you go away from your charging socket! With 30 miles costing around a fifth of petrol prices, it makes a good town car. Pity Fuelly does not calculate kW/mile. I'm tempted to put a kWh energy sub meter on my outlet, then I could calculate the approximate  cost of running on electric.

Good morning everyone,

Thank you to everyone who has completed the survey so far - there's been over 50 responses which has been fantastic - great to see such an active community. I've been pulling together some design concepts and prototypes and taking onboard some of the feedback I've read here e.g. MPG vs m/kwh.

I'm on annual leave this week and will be posting links to a prototype and opportunity to feedback on my return!

Thanks again! 🙌

Karim

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There is no option to select non of these!

I didn't delude myself into buying a hybrid to save fuel or save the planet.

I couldn't give a hoot about the MPG, how it compares to other peoples MPG's or how much CO2 i'm making.

Screenshot from 2019-04-18 08-02-31.png

10 hours ago, threepot said:

There is no option to select non of these!

As they are required questions, presumably one won't be able to submit the completed survey correctly. 

4 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As they are required questions, presumably one won't be able to submit the completed survey correctly. 

When you say one do you mean you lol I've only ever heard the queen say it like that 

1 hour ago, Longcock said:

When you say one do you mean you

No - I mean one, which is a way of not referring to the individual. Grammatically correct.

46 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

No - I mean one, which is a way of not referring to the individual. Grammatically correct.

No comment