Do Not Sell My Personal Information

more problems

ProfGlenn

Hi - i have been asking for a while about chugging and the car had a hybrid recall and a full health check last Friday.  Today, every time (three times) when I switch the ignition on,  and the engine comes on, there is a rattle - front driver's side, sounds like around the wheel, but the car is stationary.  Sounds like something caught in a fan- or a fan not working properly.  That sort of noise.  Opened the bonnet and can't hear it from there or see anything.  Took the car for a drive at lunchtime and once the car was driving, I no longer could hear the initial rattle.  Very strange.  Any ideas please?  Thanks.  

OK, an idea.

Could it be the bonnet vibrating when cold? Check the little adjustable rubber bump stops that support the corners.

I have had this and wondered for a long time what it was. Eventually on mine I found I could actually create the noise without the engine running by simply kicking or hitting the tyre. That was enough to make the bonnet vibrate.  

There are a couple bulletins from Toyota regarding engine noise on start up:

1) 

EG-0056T-0711

Subject: Tapping noise after cold engine start

Models: AURIS; PRIUS; PRIUS +; PRIUS PHV

Model codes: ZWE150; ZWE186; ZVW30; ZVW40; ZVW35

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON Some customer may experience and report a tapping type of noise from the engine after cold engine start. There are 2 different conditions in which this type of noise can occur, each with a different cause and repair method:

1. After parking at temperatures equal or higher than -10°C and the noise is occurring less than 5 seconds.

2. After parking at temperatures lower than -10°C and the noise is lasting more than 5 seconds

PRODUCTION CHANGE

1. For tapping noise at temperatures above -10°C:  The intake manifold shape has been changed to reduce risk of water entering in outer cylinders.

2. For tapping noise at temperatures below -10°C:  The engine ECU software has been changed to improve the ignition timing retard  A special coating has been applied on the injectors to improve the injection system efficiency (for F/Fix only)

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. For tapping noise at temperatures above -10°C:  Replace the „Manifold Assy, Intake‟ according to repair manual.

2. For tapping noise at temperatures below -10°C:  Replace all 4 „Injector Set, Fuel‟ according to the repair manual.  Check / Update the “Computer, engine control” software to the minimum required calibration ID, according to the procedure described in TSB EG-6006 for Intelligent Tester or TSB G-0002 for Global Techstream.

I have seen this issue before and there are lots of examples on Youtube, see: 

2) 

EG-0020T-0213

Subject: DTC P0401 and/or vehicle vibration, tapping noise

Models: AURIS; PRIUS; PRIUS +; PRIUS PHV

Model codes: ZWE150; ZVW30; ZVW40; ZVW35

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON Some customers may experience and report vehicle vibration due to rough idle and/or tapping noise from HV transaxle. The engine warning light is on and DTC P0401 “Exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient detected” is stored in the engine ECU. Excess carbon build up in the valve assembly, EGR will cause the valve to stick and engine rpm to fluctuate.

PRODUCTION CHANGE The EGR valve is modified and the engine ECU software is updated.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Before starting the specified repair, perform a basic vehicle check-up to confirm if there is any other factor negatively contributing to the reported phenomenon. Repair according to the procedure in the repair manual.

2. Perform an active test to check the EGR valve for correct operation.

3. If the EGR valve is found to be stuck, replace the EGR valve according to the procedure in the repair manual.

4. Modify the wire harness to relieve any excess stress on the wire harness according to below procedure.

5. Reprogram the "computer, engine control" with the latest available software (Calibration ID) and apply a new label sticker with the correct "computer, engine control" part number and new calibration ID.

Have seen this one as well although the EML lamp is usually on or DTC P0401 has been stored .

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks very much.  It's not as bad as that.

On 3/26/2019 at 8:56 AM, Mooly said:

OK, an idea.

Could it be the bonnet vibrating when cold? Check the little adjustable rubber bump stops that support the corners.

I have had this and wondered for a long time what it was. Eventually on mine I found I could actually create the noise without the engine running by simply kicking or hitting the tyre. That was enough to make the bonnet vibrate.  

Thanks- excellent suggestion.  I had that before.  So it's not that.  Already adjusted the rubber bungs - but thanks!