Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well that’s the corolla discounted as our new car

Bill_F

Hybrid Yaris owner for 3.5 years ( together with Nissan note for 6 years) and looking to move to single car. Sat in Corolla today - very black interior due to roof lining but liveable and not as big as the ugly, in our eyes, CR-V. Then we come to the wife test. Hatch opens so high that, at 5’2”, she can’t reach cut-outs or leading edge to close it. Lots of other small hatchbacks discounted for this reason before (e.g. fiesta, 208, old polo) but corolla size generally ok eg golf, leaf, focus. Guess we’ll join the wait for other hybrids (PHEV, mild) or BEVs that cater for slightly shorter people coming out towards end of this year and early next year or, at least, have electric hatches. The salespeople are always surprised but we know plenty of folk who have similar problem and Skoda are best as often have boot hanging strap as optional item.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not easily. Interestingly have also asked salespersons about fitting straps when I pointed this out. Most have a look, say there are no obvious/suitable points and shrug. To take an extreme viewpoint it’s a bit like saying driver’s seat won’t adjust forwards or backwards: I could get someone to remove seat, fit rails and refit it but would prefer to just get car with ergonomic design v aesthetic long low hatch that has to open so wide that the lower edge ends up so high in the air when opened. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A person's height isn't the only factor. Whether they have shorter arms also affects their reach.

I believe most dealers are able to provide advice on vehicle adaptations. May be worth asking whether there is a solution to suit your wife. Or contact Toyota GB.

I think fitting a strap to the inside of a tailgate is different to modifying a whole seat base structure.

Thanks for your reply Frostyballs which I know is intended to be helpful. My point is that my wife has driven cars for 43 years without need for adaptation. Last 5 cars serially going back to W reg have been Nissan Note, Renault Modus x2, Renault Scenic x2.

This is only answer from Toyota UK after outlining the problem. Dealers have shrugged their shoulders when we asked (not only Toyota ones).

"I regret that no, the Corolla does not have a powered rear door on the boot.

I am sorry for any disappointment that this may bring."

13 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I think fitting a strap to the inside of a tailgate is different to modifying a whole seat base structure.

Thanks for commenting. My extreme (as I pointed out) and jokey point was that the seat movement has been DESIGNED to accommodate those from, at a guess, 4'8" to 6'5" but no design effort has been made in regard to people's height (reach) for the hatch opening. The Toyota SUVs have electric option perhaps because standard male height range may have difficulty (that's also a jokey comment). 

Anyway don't want to get into arguments about this just wanted to point out one reason why a showroom browse has lost a potential sale.

I would imagine that tailgate heights cater for a range of heights based around average heights.

Conversely if a tailgate doesn't open high enough, for some taller people there is an issue of hitting their head on the open tailgate.

Other option is to try an estate one with power door or saloon. Saloon one is the one I will probably buy. 

Cheers 

18 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Other option is to try an estate one with power door or saloon. Saloon one is the one I will probably buy. 

Cheers 

Thanks, Tony. Estate is 30cm longer - too big (had a colleague who had Auris estate on loan when her Auris was run into on Mway and it was a real pain), and saloon is same 30cm longer and reviews suggest this is really Avensis replacement. (Can't find anything in UK spec for power door on estate.) Incidentally the Auris does have a reachable lip/handle but the profile of rear has changed to a much shallower slope so hatch needs to open further to get out of the way.

• Thanks 1

have you thought of speaking to a mobility centre

i'm sure they will have come across an issue like this

before and have a solution for you that can be retro fitted.

Presumably the new RAV4 Hybrid to too big?  It does have a powered tailgate (across the whole range, I think), and it can be programmed to open to a specific height if required.

It can also be closed from the key or button by driver's knee.

• 2 weeks later...

In Denmark, you can add a "Smart Package": this gives you. electrical operated tailgate with height memory function on the TS and the tailgate can be open by key, foot or from inside the cabin. Folding wing mirrors, HUD and 3D like speedometer, tacho and so on.

I'm very disappointed, though, that, in Denmark, you don't get parking sensors in none but the highest "H4" trim. of course, this trim is only available with the 2.0 which makes the cost of the H4 trim level alone, 50 per cent extra over the H3 1.8.😡

I really like the sensors on my Auris H2+ TS from 2013 and can't help feeling that Toyota DK is !Removed! its customers. I can live without IPA. I've never used it in the Auris bu the omission of sensors is outrageous. Yes, I know thgere a reversing cam, but I like sensors to guide me as to how far I can get to "X" in front without running into it.

The sad thing is: iofd youy want a good, reliable car with auto, petrol and high MPG, there really isn't much competition. 😡

I would imagine that rear parking sensors may be a dealer fit option on those models which don't have them as standard.

From what I can tell (toyota.dk) there's no option of having them fitted as an extra. In Sweden, however, the car can be tailored to ones liking with regards to options from a wide options list.

Have you actually asked the question? Either directly of Toyota Denmark or a dealer.

No, admittedly, I have not. I wonder if front sensors could be fitted as well?

Ask. Dealer fit sensors may not feature an in-car display like some factory fit systems, but will provide the audible warning when required.

11 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

No, admittedly, I have not. I wonder if front sensors could be fitted as well?

My dealer in the UK fitted front and rear sensors to my last Prius using Toyota parts.  Wasn't cheep and there was a switch fitted in the dash to disable the front ones as they weren't linked to speed or selection of D as the factory fit ones are.

Even if things aren't normally available in your country it can be possible to order parts if you can get a part number.  My dealer did that for my Mk 1 Prius in 2002, which wasn't available with cruise control in the UK.  I got the part numbers for the switches (the only thing that was missing) from a US web site and my dealer was able to order and fit them.

So, there might be hope.

& even if there aren't official Toyota options available there are plenty of good 3rd party options (& usually much, much cheaper. e.g. a kit for 4 rear parking sensors is ~£20& any decent auto-electrician can fit quickly - the inside of the bumper is probably already marked for where they should go). The only downside to that is that Toyota won't warranty for any failures of the electrical systems (highly unlikely, it's a simple connection into the reverse light circuit) due to fitment where they would with a dealer-fit.

😀😀 They're on the extra list *which I couldn't find). Both rear and front available.

So, if I like the car, thue only thinmg left is: 1.8 vs 2.0. I'm a very relaxed and even slow driver at times. If I have my auris in normal mode, it's quite punchy for me but I always drive in eco to maximize economy. In eco, it's sluggish. I've heard that the 2.0 feels equal to, say, a 1.4 TSI 150? I like the get up and go punch of my father's 150 1.4 TSI Touran.

I'll be keeping the car for 8 years before exchanging it again (car for diabled driver, partly funded by the state).

A piece of advice?

Had a test drive in the 1.8 with smart package added and the Danish H3 (middle ground) trim.

Very nice car, I like it a lot. HUD is great once you get used to symbols and digits on the middle of the road lol.

If it weren't for the fact that Toyota has reviealed that they will be selling 3 full EVs in Europe by 2021, the Corolla would be my choice as my next car. Not even sure I need to test drive other models. The only thing I am undecided about is engine size but the 2.0 is £4,000 more expensive and I honestly felt the new 122 1.8 was more eager than my own 1.8 136.

Others who have felt the same?

2 hours ago, Nicolai said:

Had a test drive in the 1.8 with smart package added and the Danish H3 (middle ground) trim.

Very nice car, I like it a lot. HUD is great once you get used to symbols and digits on the middle of the road lol.

If it weren't for the fact that Toyota has reviealed that they will be selling 3 full EVs in Europe by 2021, the Corolla would be my choice as my next car. Not even sure I need to test drive other models. The only thing I am undecided about is engine size but the 2.0 is £4,000 more expensive and I honestly felt the new 122 1.8 was more eager than my own 1.8 136.

Others who have felt the same?

moved

moved where?

10 minutes ago, Catlover said:

moved where?

Sorry.

Thought it might be to OT here so I moved to