Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Winter tyre by brand

marlinleg

Hello to one and all . Which winter tyre manufacturers do you use . Has anyone used Lassa Competus Winter 2 ? 

Thankyou 

Just to add 

Lassa  Tyres are manufactured in Europe by Brisa Bridgestone Corporation, and roll off the same production lines as their more famous counterparts, sharing many of the same patterns and compounds with Bridgestone.

Not on a RAV but I am currently on Continental WinterContacts. Strongly considering going onto all seasons e.g. Michelin CrossClimate + when these or summers need replaced though.

I use Conti Winter Contacts ... but when I replace them I will switch to a premium all season tyre to avoid the hassle of swapping twice a year. In the UK an all season tyre (with proper winter performance) is far more sensible as a year round solution,

Indeed, Contis are great winter tyres in practice too ... but in the UK (bar the north of Scotland) we really only need them for a couple of weeks a year if that. Five years ago when I bought them there weren't any viable alternatives (and I needed cold weather tyres for a trip to Germany in the middle of winter). These days there are many good all season tyres that are fully certified for winter use so I'd save money and hassle and go for those instead.

Philip42h  thank you, not sure what you meant by only need them 2/3 week in uk? I am under the impression that winter tyres are first and foremost a cold weather tyre , with the added benefit of being good in the snow.   I rang Dunlop for advice on when to change onto winter tyres as the advertising say change at 7c they said and i  quote

“ that was down to marketing we recommend changing at 11c”

I can see were you are coming from ref all season. BUT I am awaiting delivery of my new RAV4 Excel 2WD  and I don’t think there’s an option to change. I was at my dealership today and they are offering summer tyres off, winter tyres on to the original alloys £36 including vat and I store my tyres which I can ,i live less than 2 miles away from Dealership and I am retired so it’s no trouble . I travel every week-end to my partners she lives  80 mile return (70mile  A1M) North East so the winter tyres are a reassurance when traveling in the winter. Plus they double tyre life

thanks again for your input Phil42h

In Europe, Goodyear own the Dunlop tyre brand - so both Goodyear and Dunlop tyres sold in Europe are very similar in terms of construction and performance. Both the Goodyear and Dunlop websites quote 7°C as the temperature threshold for fitting winter tyres - 

https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/tires/winter.html#/

https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/consumer/tires/winter.html#/

9 hours ago, marlinleg said:

Philip42h  thank you, not sure what you meant by only need them 2/3 week in uk? I am under the impression that winter tyres are first and foremost a cold weather tyre , with the added benefit of being good in the snow.   I rang Dunlop for advice on when to change onto winter tyres as the advertising say change at 7c they said and i  quote

“ that was down to marketing we recommend changing at 11c”

I can see were you are coming from ref all season. BUT I am awaiting delivery of my new RAV4 Excel 2WD  and I don’t think there’s an option to change. I was at my dealership today and they are offering summer tyres off, winter tyres on to the original alloys £36 including vat and I store my tyres which I can ,i live less than 2 miles away from Dealership and I am retired so it’s no trouble . I travel every week-end to my partners she lives  80 mile return (70mile  A1M) North East so the winter tyres are a reassurance when traveling in the winter. Plus they double tyre life

thanks again for your input Phil42h

Quite correct ... I live half-way up a hill in Wales - when we have a decent snowfall, I need cold weather tyres in order to be able to get up, and more importantly safely down, the hill. This applies for only 2 or 3 weeks and not every year at that. The rest of the time a 2 wheel drive vehicle on standard summer tyres driven with care will suffice just fine. A 4WD RAV will probably get up on standard tyres anyway - cold weather tyres are far more important for getting down safely.

If you run two sets of tyres - summer and cold weather - you probably want to switch to your winter set around 1st November and not back to your summer set until around 1st May. Whether the switch over temperature is 7 or 10 degrees C is rather academic - below 5 degrees you are better off on cold weather rubber; above 15 degrees you are better off on summer compounds; in between either will suffice perfectly well. And the temperature in the UK seems to spend most of the year fluctuating between temperatures in the range during the day. All season tyres are a better bet for the vast majority of the year.

As you say, you are rather stuck with whatever Toyota / your dealer are going to supply - and it's high time that Toyota supplied the RAV on all season tyres ...

The tyres on a RAV will last for around 50k miles or around 5 years whichever comes first. If you have two sets of tyres (as I do) they will last for around 100k miles but still only 5 years (or so) - there's little point in running around on a time expired cold weather compound. So, if you are doing around 20k miles a year or more having summer and winter tyres will cost you nothing; if you are doing less than 10k miles a year having two sets of tyres strikes me as an 'extravagance'.

So, my preference would be for all season tyres and replace them for a new set when they get worn or old ... but it's just my opinion. 😉

Edit: oh, and, that's a decent price from your local Mr T. My nearest dealer is over 20 miles away and my local indie charges around twice that!

Philip42h thanks for the information much  appreciated👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links