Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Management Control ECU recall - Dealership recommendation

Fostel

I just received the letter from Toyota that my hybrid Auris TS was recalled.

As I don't trust Toyota dealerships at all (I had bad experiences before so I started to service the car myself) I decided to ask you for a recommendation.

Which garage in London should I go to? I may even go outside London if the garage is good.

Thanks.

• Like 1

They are pretty much all the same, if you lucky you might get proper service if not I don’t want even to think about. I have done few recalls in Jemca edgware and everything was ok. Maybe you can give them a try.  I think that as further away from London you deal with dealers your are more likely to get better service, London it’s just disgraceful place for anything since a decade ago. 

Good luck 👍

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

They are pretty much all the same, if you lucky you might get proper service if not I don’t want even to think about. I have done few recalls in Jemca edgware and everything was ok. Maybe you can give them a try.  I think that as further away from London you deal with dealers your are more likely to get better service, London it’s just disgraceful place for anything since a decade ago. 

Good luck 👍

I am not impressed really, just as average as rest of them. Quite far from me as well, I am from SE London

Selection_144.thumb.png.40880e60d83ac87601f9db1b78c46fc8.png

I am digging through Toyota dealerships today. I will update when I find something worth sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s a software update so they just plug it in and the computer does the “work” so in theory even a bad dealer couldn’t get it wrong? 

• Like 1

Different car but still a Toyota recall, I took my Avensis to Sidcup, my local dealer. This was for the fuel suction pump. I had a loan Hybrid Yaris which I enjoyed. 

I noticed the rear seat bench, which has to be removed to access the suction pump, was not firmly fitted on the right side. It was a little loose, but not noticeable in normal use. Then last week, I realised the middle buckle of the rear seatbelt could not fit in it's rest position. That is when I did this - 

I rectified everything mentioned above, plus re attached the seat cover hooks to the frame. Minor but important details. It shows that the staff are rushing through these jobs, as there were quite a few customers at the dealership for various reasons. A busy dealership. I had the time to inspect and refit everything properly.

Your car will be different as it is a plug in job, so nothing will need to be dismantled. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

Minor but important details. It shows that the staff are rushing through these jobs, as there were quite a few customers at the dealership for various reasons. 

I believe that they also don't get paid much by Toyota for this sort of work - much less than retail rates.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i took our Auris in on saturday for the power managment software update

within 70 minutes i had handed the keys over had the update ,wash & vac

and arrived back at home , great not to be hanging round the dealership,

whilst there i looked at the Corolla i must say i dont like it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, eygo said:

i took our Auris in on saturday for the power managment software update

within 70 minutes i had handed the keys over had the update ,wash & vac

Thanks for sharing.

Where it was, please?

Location would be Cheshire, as in eygo’s profile.

Johnsons wirral

johnsons have a toyota dealership in liverpool as well

• Like 1

11 hours ago, eygo said:

whilst there i looked at the Corolla i must say i dont like it.

why?

the rear end reminds me of the latest Aygo's front end rounded and protruding

the angular dashboard comes out at the top then tapers off

and the screen that just sits on the dashboard it looks like an after thought

i do prefer the intergrated look i.e. it looks like its supposed to be there

the boot opening looks narrower as well

and then there's the 35 year old name Corolla it stil sounds old,dated

and for the older person, Auris to me seems more modern and youthful

each to their own though

38 minutes ago, eygo said:

then there's the 35 year old name Corolla

The first Corolla was built in November 1966 - so the name has been used continuously for 53 years this year

No different to other manufacturers keeping vehicle names - VW using Passat, Golf and Polo for 46, 45 and 44 years respectively, Renault using Clio for 29 years, Nissan using Micra for 36 years, Ford using Fiesta for 43 years, etc .....

its still a boring name for a car, its not a name that a younger person will aspire to drive

car company's need to attract buyers of all age groups.

i feel the Auris is a better name

The profile of the Corolla name will be raised by Toyota using the model in motor sport (eg BTCC). Sonething which was never done with the Auris name, and now, following its retirement, never will be.

17 hours ago, eygo said:

its still a boring name for a car, its not a name that a younger person will aspire to drive

car company's need to attract buyers of all age groups.

i feel the Auris is a better name

Presumably that was Toyota's thinking when they first started using the Auris name in Europe.  Unfortunately instead of the name Corolla signifying 'a boring car that old people drive', it was quickly replaced by the name Auris signifying 'a boring car that old people drive'...

Also I have a cockney friend who finds it highly amusing to pronounce it as 'aris', so on balance I think I prefer Corolla!

They should have kept Corolla and never change it at first place, as it was in some Markets. That’s why Golf is a golf 🙂 

As additional model Rabbit been offered at the time along with normal Golf, Golf always been a Golf.  Same if Corolla existed along with Auris like a sports version, or maybe I am wrong. Anyway name it’s just a name, the car itself is more important. 

Cheers 

17 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

As additional model Rabbit been offered at the time along with normal Golf, Golf always been a Golf.  Same if Corolla existed along with Auris like a sports version

Well, the Corolla name continued to exist outside Europe (& indeed within Europe for the saloon) so a Corolla has always been a Corolla whilst the Auris existed along with "normal" Corolla (or indeed there briefly was a Scion badged version in the US). 😛

• 2 years later...

Well, this morning my car has died while driving step uphill on an fast A road, luckily there was no side barrier and I was able to pull over the grass verges, no hard shoulder at that place, scary experience 😐 The car suddenly lost power and dreaded yellow warning triangle appears on the dashboard, car went into N itself and came into complete stop. After restarting I was able to continue back home but the triangle remained on. Diagnostic shows DTC fault code P3147 transmission malfunction, this could be exactly the firmware update that was about or perhaps an expensive repair, it’s about find out shortly. No other codes stored or any strange noises, but I haven’t driven it yet. Here some information if happens to someone else. But that bad luck didn’t stop me giving her a good car wash today including the engine bay. 😂👌

BD494202-AC44-434F-8732-FDD06DF54D7A.jpeg

0A09FA94-53B9-4EFE-ACC0-59BFF9E5AE24.png

C2058E62-2397-4AFF-AC8F-A52B389546AE.jpeg

• Sad 3

Are you doing this yourself? Will be very interesting to hear the outcome

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saxmaniac said:

Are you doing this yourself? Will be very interesting to hear the outcome

The car drives fine for now, next week going under to look around and do my regular pre mot inspection. It could be just the software glitch or slipping clutch or weak HV Battery, or engine issues but for all of that the MIL should have come on too and a second fault code stored, I did not get any of these. I also checked many parameters of the HVbattery, inverter etc, all were ok. The car had its firmware update done back in 2019 as Toyota recommended just to prevent exactly that from happening and yesterday did happen to me, I pushed a bit harder but I often do just for a short moment to gain speed quickly and than relaxed drive again. I am actually very easy on the car, how would otherwise come to 193k on almost everything original!? 😉