Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A thump when switching to reverse

Jon A.

Hey guys, 

i seem to occasionally notice a low thump sound on switching the gear from Park to Reverse right after turning on the vehicle (2014 TS hybrid). 

Could it signify some serious problem?

would have to double-check if the same with switching to Drive, not sure.

This usually happens to all automatic cars, and especially when you park the car on slop/ gradient  place. To stop making the noise and prolong the life of the P lock mechanism I can recommend you the following procedure:

After you park the car and still depressing the brake pedal put the car in N than apply the hand (parking) brake, release the brake pedal while you in N with parking brake applied and let the car settle than press the P parking button. 

You may get the thump noise again only if you haven’t pressed the brake pedal properly and while you are selecting a gear the car try to move immediately. Try my way and see if make any changes. 

• Like 1

Thanks. Do you think this is something that will shortly end up as an expensive fix? Ticking time bomb? Or rather safe to ignore?

If it’s the thing that I explained there is nothing to worry. 

• Thanks 1

In addition to the above, it might be worth mentioning:-  

When the Auris hybrid is turned off the parking brake (separate to the handbrake) is applied, that is if you haven't done this manually already via the 'P' button.

On this car (and on the Prius) the parking brake is moved in and out of the 'lock' position by an electric motor., which has an indicator light on the 'P' button.

The parking brake locks the transmission by inserting a pawl into a gear wheel, it doesn't operate directly at the wheels like the handbrake does.

If the handbrake is released before the parking brake, the parking brake will be holding the car stationary (unless you are operating the footbrake).  In this state the car can rock to and fro because of the slack in the transmission allows it to.

If the parking brake is actively (i.e. solely) preventing the car's movement then it will make a noise when it is released, as there will be tension in the system which will  then spring back to its normal position when disengaged.

When you put the car into 'R' or 'D', the car automatically releases the parking brake for you, hence the noise you describe if the handbrake has not been applied hard enough, or in the correct sequence. 

HTH.