Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UK set to adopt vehicle speed limiters

Toyota Owners Club

Speed limiting technology looks set to become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from 2022, after new rules were provisionally agreed by the EU  

349 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with this move or not?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

Speed limiting technology looks set to become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from 2022, after new rules were provisionally agreed by the EU

Do you agree with this or not, will it save lives? 
Have your say now....vote in the poll 

Mandatory for 2022 for new vehicles being homologated, 2024 for existing vehicles in production. Guess what year I'll be planning to buy next ...? 😛

Bodgit and Leggit did a video/Rant on this yesterday.

altho i would not be against this, I think the limiting should be kept to residential areas as it was mentioned that there will be situations were you need to overtake. Like the car in front is doing 50mph in a 60mph zone and you just want to get past (Safely) but you can only go a little bit faster than him and Creep past the car this would be unsafe.

My biggest question would be if the cars were limited in residential areas 20/30mph (because that is where the biggest argument for limiting cars would be) are they going to remove/stop putting up speed ramps?

33 minutes ago, Deet said:

My biggest question would be if the cars were limited in residential areas 20/30mph (because that is where the biggest argument for limiting cars would be) are they going to remove/stop putting up speed ramps?

No - because there will still be numbers of cars which were produced before 2022/24 without the speed limiters.

I wouldn't be surprised if once that settles down there isn't a move to make all older cars have it retro fitted.

IIRC that happened with screen washers in the 1960s, and is happening again with EVs, Hybrids and very quiet cars and the forthcoming noise generator that all new cars will have to have fitted fairly soon.  I believe in 2021 or maybe 2022 all existing cars below the noise threshold will have to have noise generators fitted too.

• Like 1

Retro fitting didn't happen though with daytime running lights, or tyre pressure monitoring systems.

All cars are already fitted with a speed limiting device, it's the drivers right foot! Too much is being taken away from the driver, we'ii soon have cars that drive themselves......oh :no:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 good reason for Brexit, let Europe do this as long as the UK dont

It's going to happen even in the event of Brexit - we have agreed to comply with European auto standards.

UK authorities have already said they will adopt this when the EU does, regardless of Brexit.

2022 is a few years off, they will probably change there minds a dozen times before it happens 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 2:31 PM, Billyboy81 said:

All cars are already fitted with a speed limiting device, it's the drivers right foot! ...

Too bad so many of them don't work properly!  👹

• Like 1

if the system works on the road sign recognition you have nothing to worry mine recorded a 120 mile speed limit today on the A130 

Hope it works better than my Toyota safety sense that tells me I am exceeding the TEN MPH limit, actually it's a 40 MPH limit that it cannot read the sign properly........anything software based can be hacked and overridden, waste of time if you ask me

• Like 1