Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to tell if battery is running low in keyfob?

itm

I can't find anything in the car manual that explains how to tell that the Battery is running low in the remote keyfob (or how to replace it). Can anyone provide any advice?

Is this from the abbreviated manual supplied with the car, or the full manual one can download?

The abbreviated manual is the only one that I've seen (picked up the car this evening). I haven't been able to register with My Toyota yet as I don't have the V5C document yet. Is there anywhere else that I can download a full manual which is specific to the Auris Hybrid Excel (2016 model)?

10 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

See https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

Do a generic search. 

Should also be able to download a manual for the Toyota Touch 2 system.

Thanks - in the end I entered my reg number on the Toyota site and it gave me a download link to the manual. There's only a Quick Reference guide to the Touch 2/Go system though. Is there a full manual anywhere?

I’ve just changed mine on the Auris. I got a dashboard warning but not sure if this is just relevant for the Hybrid or not.

Quick way. :cool: Find out (by experimentation) how far away from the car you can be standing and still get the doors to work.

Then hold the key so that it touches your head, and try the test again. (I kid you not. Your cranium acts as an additional aerial.)

It should make a difference of a few yards. If it's much more, consider a new Battery.

i'm not sure if it where in the CT or my IS

i had a warning appear on the dash telling me the key batteries

where getting low, this seems to tally with steve's reply.

if you find the keyless ignition isnt working due to a low Battery

place the toyota emblem on the key against the start button ,

whilst holding the key on the button press the button to start the car.

The batteries in the key are usually button batteries and are widely available on eBay. Get the number off the existing Battery, check eBay. My Battery (Gen 3/4 Prius is a 2032 which are couple pound for 2 inc delivery. At that price and convinience you can change the Battery every 2 year, or even annually.

Thanks for all the responses. Presumably the fallback method of holding the toyota emblem on the keyfob against the start button requires a small amount of residual charge in the keyfob's Battery? (i.e. it wouldn't work if you just returned from a 3-week holiday and the Battery was completely flat?

5 minutes ago, itm said:

Thanks for all the responses. Presumably the fallback method of holding the toyota emblem on the keyfob against the start button requires a small amount of residual charge in the keyfob's battery? (i.e. it wouldn't work if you just returned from a 3-week holiday and the battery was completely flat?

No, it uses the immobiliser chip embedded in the keyfob (like a conventional key has) which requires no Battery power. It will still work even with the batteries removed from the fob.

Just now, yossarian247 said:

No, it uses the immobiliser chip embedded in the keyfob which requires no battery power. It will still work even with the batteries removed from the fob.

Thanks - that's really useful (and reassuring) to know!

My advice, for what it's worth and if the Battery or batteries are the originals (2016 car), just replace them.

There will be how tos on Youtube and if, like other Toyota fobs, it will be quite easy.

If in doubt just change them anyway.🙂

Thank goodness I have a real key

• 2 weeks later...

It tells you on the dash. The message is something like “keyfob Battery low”

• 1 month later...

I'd advise that you keep a spare Battery (CR2032) for the Auris in your glove box, then if your Battery does show signs of giving out then you'l have a replacement readily to hand. They have a long shelf life.

• 7 months later...
On 4/1/2019 at 10:43 AM, mrpj said:

There will be how tos on Youtube and if, like other Toyota fobs, it will be quite easy.

Indeed.  I've just had to change a Battery in an Auris key fob, and as others have posted, a CR2032 is what's needed.  And again, as others have posted, these batteries are much cheaper on eBay than in supermarkets.  Replacement is a simple job, once you know how...

"How to change the CR2032 Battery in an Auris key fob:-"

Hope that helps someone

Just had to change mine as it happens, as I got the low Battery warning on the instrument panel info screen. That's despite the dealership having replaced the Battery only about 3 months ago, so not sure if the dealer's using duff batteries or if something's running it down quicker than it should.

Anyway, for anyone living near or planning to visit IKEA, they do ridiculously cheap CR2032 button cells (a quid for 8!):

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/plattboj-lithium-battery-80291156/

I've used a couple so far and they seem no worse than any others.

(NB: I can't be held responsible for however many hours of life you may lose traipsing round IKEA.)

Thanks for the prod. I just went to change the batteries on my 2014 Auris key fobs, which have done 5+ years of good service - but I found that they they weren't the same as the ones in the video, and they needed to be opened in a different way. They also needed 2016 batteries, not 2032.

Does yours look like this? (The square corner tag is chromed, in my case)

maxresdefault.jpg

Bit of a struggle, but I eventually found this Youtube video, which covers it as an Aygo key (and for the Peugeot 108 and the Citroen C1, both of which are Aygos under the skin): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-bruifeMoo

Doddle, anyway. There's a slot for a screwdriver under the square corner tag, which pops off the cover from the fob. You won't see the slot until you've removed the keys from the fob. And like I say, the fob needs a 2016 Battery, so best to get one in advance. 😏