Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice for hard-wiring dashcam on Auris Hybrid 2016?

itm

Does anyone have any advice on hard-wiring a Dashcam in an Auris Hybrid (2016) Excel. The location of the fusebox in the engine compartment makes it a little more challenging, as I don't see an easy way of routing a power cable into the cabin.

Can anyone offer any advice or guidance?

I was hoping to save the £30 fee, particularly as I already have a hard-wiring kit for it from my previous car. After locating the full manual for the car I've discovered that there's another fusebox inside the cabin (under the glovebox). Has anyone got any views as to which would be the best fuse to piggy-back on a picture of the panel is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nn9ijhky4yznkxi/Toyota Auris Hybrid Fusebox.jpg?dl=0

I want something which powers on with the ignition.

Hi Ian. I piggy backed from the heated seat connection in the fuse box. Got the kit from eBay but Halfords also does the kit. Very easy to do then the cable can be dressed behind the door rubber, concealed behind the window pillar and also along the Top of the windscreen.  It took me approximately 20 minutes. 

2 minutes ago, Bob110023 said:

Hi Ian. I piggy backed from the heated seat connection in the fuse box. Got the kit from eBay but Halfords also does the kit. Very easy to do then the cable can be dressed behind the door rubber, concealed behind the window pillar and also along the Top of the windscreen.  It took me approximately 20 minutes. 

Perfect - thanks. Presumably that connection comes on with the ignition?

I need to shop around for a piggy-back fuse, as the one that I have is for larger fuses. Do you happen to know if the Auris interior fuses are Micro2 size?

Yes mate they are the smaller ones. 

I've just been trying to prize one of them out using a pair of tweezers, but couldn't budge it. There's no room to get a pair of pliers around it either. Does anyone have any hints for tools/techniques for removing them?

It's OK - I just found a pair of needle-nosed pliers in my toolbox which I didn't know I had - they did the trick

It looks like the fuse is a low-profile mini fuse (not the micro2 which I thought it might be)

2 hours ago, itm said:

I've just been trying to prize one of them out using a pair of tweezers, but couldn't budge it. There's no room to get a pair of pliers around it either. Does anyone have any hints for tools/techniques for removing them?

I am fairly sure that there is a removal tool inside the under-bonnet fuse box.  It's not very obvious - I think it is stored end-on amongst the fuses (its end is square-shaped btw).

Also, if you don't want to use the fuse box for a feed, then there is always the cigarette lighter/power socket by the handbrake that you could tap into.  I haven't used that one yet, but I have tapped into the socket at the back of the centre console.  That one has loads of space around it, but the feed will be long.  Both are switched with the ignition.

15 hours ago, Gerg said:

I am fairly sure that there is a removal tool inside the under-bonnet fuse box.  It's not very obvious - I think it is stored end-on amongst the fuses (its end is square-shaped btw).

Also, if you don't want to use the fuse box for a feed, then there is always the cigarette lighter/power socket by the handbrake that you could tap into.  I haven't used that one yet, but I have tapped into the socket at the back of the centre console.  That one has loads of space around it, but the feed will be long.  Both are switched with the ignition.

Thanks for that - I hadn't even noticed the power socket at the back of the centre console!