Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Long Life Brake Fluid?!

JobCF

I use my Corolla D-4D less than 4,000 miles per year.
Never in some years.
I don't have facilities to jack up all four wheels. 

Garages are expensive and can be unreliable.
Is changing brake fluid every 2 years necessary?

Motul DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid claims to be "Long Life" but do not specify how long!
Your views, comments and brake fluid recommendations will be appreciated.

According to the Motul website and technical data sheet, the drain interval is 12 to 24 months as per the vehicle manufacturers requirements.

• Like 1

Silicone brake fluid may suit your requirements.

A google of silicone brake fluid gives these two links at the top of the list.  I think these links will answer many of your questions:-

https://www.automec.co.uk/blogs/news/34582852-silicone-brake-fluid-our-experience-in-the-last-40-years

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/knowledge_base_articles/view/brake-fluids-glycol-silicone-explained-272

I'd imagine that all the old fluid must be removed before the silicone is put in - an expensive job?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JobCF said:

I don't have facilities to jack up all four wheels. 

Garages are expensive and can be unreliable.
Is changing brake fluid every 2 years necessary?

Hi,

You need to change standard brake fluid, eg Dot4  every 2 years as it slowly absorbs moisture and becomes less effective, regardless of miles done.

Similar things apply to the other fluids like oils and antifreeze, you need to change them according to miles or time, whichever comes first.

You only need to jack up one wheel at a time to bleed the brakes, so you could use the cars own wheel change jack, though a trolley jack with a pair of axle stands make things a little easier.

Again you only need one person to bleed the brakes if you use one of the many auto brake bleeders on the market.

Have used one of these for the last 20+ year on several cars, available widely, Screwfix, Toolstation etc

If bleeding the brakes yourself, carefully apply some penetrating  fluild to the bleed nipples before trying to loosen them and use a good fitting spanner.

001532.jpg

• Like 1

Oldcodger, Thanks!
I bought a Gunson Eazibleed in mid 80s when I had a good home workshop.
Moved home four times since. Have to have a dig around.
Still got their Colour Tune, Carb Balancer, Tappet Adjuster and Battery Checker. Great products!

Checked the fluid in the reservoir today. It is still golden in colour.
About 500 miles after the last fluid change, the Corolla was garaged for over six years.
Toyota is offering Essential Care Service and MOT for £90.
Seven of the items in the service content has already been done.
So I will ask them if they can include brake fluid change.

Gerg
DOT 5.0 is silicon based.
DOT 5.1 is Polyglycol base; same as DOT 3 and DOT 4
Motul describe their DOT 5.1 brake fluid as,
"100% synthetic brake fluid on polyglycol basis for all types of hydraulic actuated brake and clutch systems in accordance with DOT 5.1, DOT 4 and DOT 3 manufacturers’ recommendations. Specially designed for anti-locking brake system (ABS). "

Thanks, FrostyBalls for pointing this out.
eBay sellers describe the Motul DOT 5.1 as "Long Life"
I was misled by that!  😮

17 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

According to the Motul website and technical data sheet, the drain interval is 12 to 24 months as per the vehicle manufacturers requirements.

New UK MOT rules state brake fluid should be transparent and new looking. If it's old and dark yellow to brown it will fail now.

Don't think I'd bother to switch to a different fluid, particularly if it's not compatible with what you've presently got.  Could be a lot of effort.

I don't stick to the 24 months fluid change interval, although one benefit of regular attention is that the bleed nipples are less likely to seize up with regular bleeding.

3 hours ago, Notoyboy said:

"Don't think I'd bother to switch to a different fluid, particularly if it's not compatible with what you've presently got.  Could be a lot of effort."

Motul Brake fluid is DOT 5.1 has polyglycol basis. Same as DOT 4 and DOT 3
However, DOT 5.0 is Silicon base. It is hydrophobic, does not absorb water. So has a longer service life.
DOT 5.0 does not mix with DOT 3, 4 or 5.1

"Thank you all for your comments.
The car is a 2004 Corolla 2.0 D-4D T Spirit [116ps]

Brake Fluid Flush and DOT 4 fluid at 50,439 miles on 7 Dec 2011
Mileage now 51,150. (The car was off the road and garaged for over 6 years.)
Brakes work okay without and sponginess.
Waiting for delivery of a Brake Fluid Tester that indicates water content.
Will report back.

Hi,

To be honest I do not see the point in using a Brake Fluid Tester, if any doubt, just change the fluid at the correct service interval and that ensures all is well.

No one will tell you 8 year old fluid in a car is good, even new bottles of foil sealed brake fluid has a shop shelf like of about 2 years if memory serves me right.

When buying fluid check the manufacturing date printed on the bottles, I avoid any more than 12 months old.

Assume you have had or or going to change the engine and gearbox oil , antifreeze/coolant and even the petrol as according to some tv programs even that can go off and block the injectors.

Expect the Battery will have been replaced as they do not like to be left uncharged for years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

To be honest I do not see the point in using a Brake Fluid Tester, if any doubt, just change the fluid at the correct service interval and that ensures all is well.

No one will tell you 8 year old fluid in a car is good, even new bottles of foil sealed brake fluid has a shop shelf like of about 2 years if memory serves me right.

When buying fluid check the manufacturing date printed on the bottles, I avoid any more than 12 months old.

Assume you have had or or going to change the engine and gearbox oil , antifreeze/coolant and even the petrol as according to some tv programs even that can go off and block the injectors.

Expect the battery will have been replaced as they do not like to be left uncharged for years.

Brake Fluid Tester measure the resistance across two electrodes.
The resistance change as the moisture content increase.
It has LEDs that show percentages.
There are some YouTube videos that demonstrate the Brake Fluid Tester.

I will soon be changing the engine oil from Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 to Mobil 1 FS 0W-40.
For gearbox, only inspection is specified in the Toyota Service & Warranty booklet.

I bought a new Battery about 3 years ago but did not get around to fitting it.
I left it connected it to an automatic Battery charger and it has been on trickle charge ever since.
Gunson Battery Checker is showing full charge. Engine starts in about 3 seconds.

I no longer have a ramp to reach the oil drain plug.
Stedmans Garage in Worthing has agreed to change the oil, brake fluid, the coolant, do some other checks and do an MOT test.

Would be nice to get this 15 year old Corolla back on the road.
Fingers crossed!

Hi,

Am not a Diesel man, but some of your info does not seem right according to the info I have,

The Haynes manual states changing the gearbox oil every 40,000 miles or 4 years.

Not sure why you are changing to 0W-40 oil, particularly a thinner one,  again seems 5W-30 is the correct grade ? 

Don't forget to change the Key batteries and fuel filter.

• Like 1

Hi 'oldcodger'
Mobil website (lubes.mobil.com) has an 'oil selector tool'. The Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 came up for this car and engine.  I am changing from their previous synthetic oil recommendation, the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30.

Key fob batteries, I found out the hard way!
The first-day engine started I drove it for about 30 miles.
Next morning the engine won't start!  Cranked it over about ten times till the Battery died.
I thought the 6+ years old diesel blocked the fuel filter.
After three hours of work over two days, it was found that fuel is pumping out and it was clear.
Having got to the pump, I changed the fuel filter anyway.
Then I saw a YouTube video about the key fob batteries and bought a pair of lithium batteries for 72p at Amazon. The car started at the first crank!

If
only 'oldcodger' had reminded me last week, I would have saved a lot of time. lol

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links