Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is it?

Little Willy

Not had my Will for long. Under the passenger side storage box is a large round plastic clip. It's shown in the Japanese handbook with an object that looks like two pieces that screw together, that then fit in the clips. Any ideas?

Thanks

Little Willy

Hi Harry and welcome to the club. As the saying goes a picture paints thousand words. Any chance of a photo to give the more learned members a hint

Del

If it's in the footwell it could be for a flare there orange in colour about the size of a marker pen. Welcome to the club.

As Tony says...warning flare holder I reckon...I still have the flare in my Estima.!!..might use it next Nov. 5th...lol

Yes mines still in situ Neil as the picture shows. No reason to get rid really, all part of originality I suppose 👌 lol.

image.jpeg

Just like mine, Tony...and yes, I keep it for the originality too.!

Thanks to all who replied to my query re the object above  the passenger side footwell. The actual "flare" is missing in my car, just the clips remaining. What would be the purpose of the flare?

Harry W.

In Japan to satisfy traffic regulations cars have to be equipped with an emergency flare for if the driver gets into trouble - breakdown, crash, etc. When used it is placed on the ground front or back of vehicle to warn other road users of an obstruction, etc.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the explanation. I'm 85, but not too old to learn!

Regards,

Harry W.

A little trivia...

This mandatory requirement for all vehicles in Japan goes back to the times when Japanese cars were primitive and highly unreliable.  Cars often stalled at railway crossings and flares were initially introduced to prepare for such instances but later, used for general breakdowns and warning other road users of any hazards ahead as mentioned by FROSTYBALLS.

It is an MOT equivalent requirement and without one the car will fail the inspection.

In general, there are many railway crossings in Japan and to this very day, I think they are still traumatised by past incidents despite the fact that stalling at the railway crossing is extremely rare.

Almost all user handbooks supplied with a new car has a section on procedures if the vehicle stalls in the middle of a railway crossing.  

At a time when manual gearbox cars were still common, it was often suggested to place the vehicle in highest gear and turn the starter motor without depressing the clutch which allowed the car to move out of the crossing.  But obviously today, most cars are automatics over there, this method cannot be used and this fact is clearly stated in bold letters probably aimed at those old skool drivers.

Those traditional flares have best before dates on them but like any other, things have moved on and some come with LED flares instead.

flare.jpg