Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hard Clutch

Loopyal

Hi Fellow Toyota owner's, can you help. I have an ageing 2005 Corolla estate 2.0 D4D 91k (owned since 60K), the clutch has always been hard to press, I have read on different forums that they are like that, some say this is  due to a bent Master Cylinder shaft, clutch on the way out, clutch arm bush stiff, release bearing going ... does or has anyone  suffered from this and what did you do to fix the problem please, I will replace the clutch as I do think its seen better days, but is there some thing else I should do or replace whilst the gearbox is removed, so not to miss the opportunity so to speak.

Any help and advice appreciated.

Loopy Al. 

Hi,

If the pedal biting point is also high as well as heavy then its likely the clutch that needs replacing, eg plate, cover, thrust bearing.

Mine was like that at 80k miles but really low and light after replacement, though think the diesels have a bit stronger/heavier clutch anyway ..?

I've never not known a clutch go heavier as the miles pile on although I've no idea of the mechanical reason for why this should be so. You don't always realise just how heavy until you get into a new car. My father had a new clutch on his Corolla and it was amazing how light it was.     

Is it a hydraulic clutch? If so, the fluid may need replacing. 

Also, check the cable for wear from pedal to bulkhead and at the engine end through the cable shroud.

Also check inside the foot well to see if the pedal plate is loose or unbolted and do it up if so.

• 2 weeks later...

Heavy clutch pedal - most likely new clutch kit needed, mine was much lighter after replacement

Supposed to replace the Dual Mass Flywheel too (a big con imho)- maybe go for solid flywheel kit

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links