Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic Transmission Whine when in Gear

jerrin91

In the last month, my 1.3L 2001 Toyota Yaris/ Echo automatic car has developed this dragging whining noise when the car is in gear.

I have made a video of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hEx9yg9qpE&t=13s

I jacked up the car so the wheels can spin freely in the air and the whine only starts when the wheel is spinning and goes away in park and neutral. It gets louder as it shifts to higher gears.

No whine when the the wheels are stationary even if the the car is in drive/ reverse

The car still drives smoothly

I have checked the tranny fluid while its hot and I can say it not running low. Its a bit brownish though

I have had the car since June 2018 but I don’t know its service history. Owner’s manual says the tranny fluid doesn’t require changing but I don’t buy this since I doubt the fluid can hold its properties for nearly 20 years.

There are already used tranny available to buy from eBay really really cheap but I want to make sure if the other options I have listed below are worth considering first.

One of the options I am looking at is if a simple fluid change( i.e. not just draining n refilling fluid by pulling the drain plug but I intent to dropping the pan and replacing the filter too) will fix the issue? I already bought the fluid, filter and the pan gasket but I don’t want to waste them if this method is not going to work. The fluid itself was a bit pricey

Considering I been driving with this issue for a month now, how much longer can I drive with this issue if I don’t take care of it?

Thirdly, say its the torque converter, what exactly is making the sound in the torque converter? Is it the sound of something loose or parts touching one another? Can it damage the entire tranny over time? 

I read somewhere though it could be Torque converter issue only if the whine is happening when the car is both stationary and in gear. if the whine happens only when moving, then could be the bearing inside. is this correct? 

The torque converter is 2 propellers with oil beeing between. They don't touch each other. I'm almost certain, that the sound is a bad bearing. Try to change the oil in the tranny, IF the sound goes away, that was a cheap fix. If not... Well, you tried, but would probably need a replacement tranny. 

You could always ask the wife and kids to get out while you check it.🤣

As above both of them lol good luck