Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Radio fitted

Norsebror

Thanks to inspiration from Craig here, this is my version for my wife who hated the limitation of the stock basic cd player and radio and wanted more features including DAB radio.

I decided to go the 3d-printed route rather than use too much filler, so after cutting out an aperture, I designed a suitable cradle to receive a stock DIN radio but with a flange on the right side to accommodate usb lead that fitted into the rear of the Pioneer radio I got cheap from Halfords.

My wife's fascia is metallic, glittery black and I managed to find a can of spray paint from Halfords that was pretty close, but as you can see I'll need to sand back and respray the entire fascia the same colour at some stage. I will take more photos of exactly what I did from the rear when I do that, but in the meantime I have attached my 3D-print design and the (almost) final result, which has worked well for three months so far.

Note - I printed from PETG plastic as PLA would melt in summer

TinkerCADiQDaschInsertCUT.png

20190310_120824.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work. 😃

I have a 3D printer here at work now and if I had one when I made my new radio facia I may well have done the same. 

Looks great. 

Did you get the steering wheel controls working as well?

Craig.

Thanks for the response Craig. No I didn't, did you? I followed your advice from the original thread and got something similar. Of course the original dash display is now empty but my wife prefers it as she now thinks that small area of display left of the speedo is much more readable and less cluttered with information.

Thanks again for sharing in the first place and showing people what was possible

PS - My next projects are (1) to add a usb port into the central fascia or micro usb port for a 5V line. The idea is that smartphones for satnav can be charged directly or via an induction charger cradle (yet to choose which option), and (2) add button in lower column for air purifier integrated into the plastic near original cigar lighter. So holding off from any final paintwork and ding filling

It is possible to get the steering wheel controls going again and I did it with a little box from "Connects2"

Have a look half way down this thread...

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/175840-stereo-adapter-1-din/?tab=comments#comment-1431913

An extra USB port would be useful for charging. I bought one a long time ago but never got around to fitting it, must do that one day..... 

Craig.

1 hour ago, Norsebror said:

Thanks for the response Craig. No I didn't, did you?

Just realise re-reading that old thread @cragglethat you did buy an extra adapter. Do you have a link? Sorry I missed that. Has been some time since I actually read your excellent thread

• 2 weeks later...