Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stuck.oil filter cannister

Mattch5151

Hi guys I've seen a thread on this before but no joy. I changed the oil today on my 2009 2.2 d4d rav 4. Everything fine . I had the Lexus tool for removing or unscrewing the filter. It was on so tight that I sheared the tool. I bought another one from Toyota and using an  11 inch breaker bar sheared that one too. I just replaced the oil in the end and left old filter in, and replaced filter drain plug o ring. I'm no novice at such jobs but thus is ****ing ridiculous. Any ideas why this would be the case . I even thought are they reverse thread but dont think so. My filter removal tools cost £35 and are both trash now. This has been an expensive lesson  It cant be this difficult can it?. Filter is only 4 months old so not too worried about It but think it will have to go to dealer next time. Never known the like of it.

Cheers

Matt

That's grim! Why not take it back to the garage who did it 4months ago and let them loosen it off/change it for you?

Yes I might but happy to leave filter for now,  just wondered if as I have heard if this is a common problem.ive heard the aluminium meeting together can cause a very hard to break seal 

Really annoyed me though. The how to guide by Anchorman on here brilliant but this nearly finished me!

I had this problem on wifes petrol 3 door not long ago but managed to get it off using one of those straps attached to my ratchet.

I put the strap as near to the top of the filter as I could get it for extra strength and luckily it came loose, last one I did before this came off by hand.

Don't know much about these ones but if it's aloy boil a kettle and pour boiling water over it it will most definitely work but when replacing it smear oil round the oring and threads also don't over tight hope this helps